Cows Milk vs. Soy Milk?

I wish I could still drink almond milk :cry: I liked it so much more than soy, cow, or rice.

I won't go into the debate but there's no such thing like soy, rice, almond... milk. these are juices . Milk is produced from mammaries. Sorry I just had to say that. :P

Jadee said:
I won't go into the debate but there's no such thing like soy, rice, almond... milk. these are juices . Milk is produced from mammaries. Sorry I just had to say that. :P

lol, thats true actually, but i think as soy/rice/almond "milk" is used in place of cows "milk", the terminology still applies

Also dictionary.com says:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source milk  /mɪlk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[milk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1.an opaque white or bluish-white liquid secreted by the mammary glands of female mammals, serving for the nourishment of their young. 2.this liquid as secreted by cows, goats, or certain other animals and used by humans for food or as a source of butter, cheeses, yogurt, etc. 3.any liquid resembling this, as the liquid within a coconut, the juice or sap of certain plants, or various pharmaceutical preparations.

mmm...coconut cream

I don't hear that much about people drinking rice milk... Why isn't it as popular as soy milk? Are there any health advantages of drinking rice milk over soy milk?

TheKiwi said:
I don't hear that much about people drinking rice milk... Why isn't it as popular as soy milk? Are there any health advantages of drinking rice milk over soy milk?

I'm not really sure about that. I know that I drink soy b/c I am lactose intolerant and soy just tastes a little more like real milk than rice.

I think I'm going to have to switch b/c now I am 99% sure I am lactose intolerant - darn I used to love lattes

I have a paper that my chiropractor gave me a paper he wrote about the common myths about milk. I personally hadn't ever heard any of these myths before-what do you think? It is rather long so I'll post some randomly throughout when I have a minute.

Milk Myth #1: Milk Helps build strong Bones

Parents pass this myth on to their children and misguided nutritionists reinforce it. Actually, milk and other dairy products weaken the bones and accelearte osteoporsis (??!!) That's right, consumption of milk causes the very condition it's advertised to prevent. Osteoporosis results from calcium loss, not insufficent calcium intake. Dairy products, because of their high protein content, promote calcium loss. Studies eamining the incidence of osteoporosis have found that high consumption of dairy products is associated with high rates of osteoporosis. If you want strong bones, don't drink milk.

Wow, that's insane! :shock: Yeah, what should we do to maintain our bones then? Leafy green veggies? Calcium supplements?

TheKiwi said:
Wow, that's insane! :shock: Yeah, what should we do to maintain our bones then? Leafy green veggies? Calcium supplements?

Yup :smile: I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking cow milk (as opposed to soy or almond juice :D but you shouldn't be doing it for your main source of calcium. I've heard shoegal's comment before...a lot of things in the dairy industry remind me of the flouride industry, only milk isn't a toxic, deadly, industrial waste we're trying to dispose of.

I use rice milk in cooking for the whole family (1 person can't have dairy, 4 people can't have soy, and 1 person can't have almond) and it's fine, though thinner in baking, but I can't drink the stuff or use it on cereal. Doesn't matter which brand it is, it tastes like chalky sugar water to me.

I think the whole thing about milk giving you osteoperosis is a bit rubbish. THey are blaming it on the high protein content. Then that means we should not drink soy drinks either because soy definitely has a lot of protein. But humans NEED proteins. A normal female (120 lbs ish) should get 40g of protein a day. That is equivalent to about 4 full glasses of soy milk. I'm not sure how much protein milk or meats have, but i'm just saying, people need proteins.

Oh, and don't forget, weight bearing excercise also helps build strong bones. So excercise!

TheKiwi said:

It's because rice milk has a lot more sugar than other dairy alternatives

I'm drinking almond milk now. I really like it. It has a very light taste to it.

rollagasper said:
I think the whole thing about milk giving you osteoperosis is a bit rubbish.quote]

I have been reading up on going vegan and in one book i read quoted a study that said that while 40 million American women have osteoperosis only about 250,000 African wqomen have bone diseases. They did a study on 40 tribes in Kenya and only one had members suffering from osteoperosis- and they happen to be the only cattle-owning milk drinking tribe. The countries with the highest rates of osteoperosis are the countries that consume the most dairy and animal products. Studies by the National Dairy Council have found that milk leaches calcium from the body.

Not to mention it's impossible to get skinny if you are eating tons of dairy products. There is a reason that women produce milk when they have babies and that is to make their offspring grow fast. Once it is no longer necessary for babies to drink milk and grow at such a fast rate, women stop producing milk and really this is when we are supposed to stop comsuming it.

If anyone is really concerned about getting enough calcium (becuase it is important for many reasons) you should be eating lots of almonds, nuts, soybeans, kale broccoli, leafy greens, and molasses. You definitey should not be relying on milk.

My one year old daughter will not drink cow's milk. She is a breastfed baby, and the only milk she likes is vanilla soy milk. Do you guys think there is anything wrong with her drinking milk w/ vanilla it it everyday? She drinks 2 cartons a week :shock: .

Sunn'Dia said:
My one year old daughter will not drink cow's milk. She is a breastfed baby, and the only milk she likes is vanilla soy milk. Do you guys think there is anything wrong with her drinking milk w/ vanilla it it everyday? She drinks 2 cartons a week :shock: .

You should talk to your doctor about this. I don't think any of us should give you advice on your one-year old.

But, speaking from personal experience, I work in a daycare where many children as young as 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 were lactose intolerant or their parents simply didn't want them to drink cow's milk (the parents that send their children there are very rich and I'm sure have seen nutritionists about what to feed their children). Usually the non-dairy consuming children drank rice milk or soy milk (neither were ever flavored though). But again, I don't want to dish out medical advice, so I'd talk to your child's doctor. :flower:

I just wanted to say that this thread has really been valuable for me. It's made me go out and do my own research, and I've discovered a lot about milk after being inspired from this thread. :flower:

I now won't drink cow's milk as I used to every day! I will still eat cheese, the occasional ice cream, and yogurt, however. I'm just going to eat/drink a lot less dairy and eat a lot more foods that provide calcium that aren't dairy. Reading up on osteoperosis has really been the deciding factor for me.

I used to drink soy milk all the time, and then learned that it blocks iron absorption in the body, so I went back to cow's milk for a few months. Now I'm convinced that the key is variety! A little soy, a little dairy, more veggies, nuts, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->