Depeche Mode

One of my favourite songs is In your Room, on the Songs of Faith & Devotion album - which I think it's a very good start for someone unfamiliar to their sound.cIf you missed the 80's it might be hard to apprecizte all those synths and electronica

softgrey said:
what's on those albums andora?...
isn't music for the masses earlier as well?...
i just like the early stuff much better...

I also think Violator is the best DM album as a whole. It shifted to more personal perspective rather than a social one, inward vs. outward if you will.

Some of the songs on it are

Personal Jesus
Enjoy the Silence
World in My Eyes
Policy of Truth

right...well the social aspect is what i thought made them brilliant...
lots of bands and singers whine about themselves....
the social conscience is what set them apart for me...

otherwise they become 'the smiths'...
oh woe is me....:lol:...

**notice...that is also when dave gahan went spiralling down in to depression and tried vigorously to kill himself...

i am a happy goth...
i still have hope for humanity...

:lol:...:P

How early are you actually talking,Softie? Music for the Masses come out in '87 two years before Violator. So that's probably one of their later releases. Actually,both those records,I realised,were a complete different sound to the previous releases. Less like their earliest attempts,the dramatic atmosphere was more emphatic.

well scott...

black celebration came out in '85 i think...so everything before that...
'basically...
before they went mainstream and before anyone really ever heard of them because they weren't being played on the radio in most places...they were a very underground band being played mostly in new wave dance clubs like the saint and the world and pyramid in nyc...
during a time when androgyny ruled and sexuality was secondary...
everyone was equal...
it was a time when you actually believed you could change the world into a better place for everyone...
and these songs spoke to that...as well as personal issues...
it's really good stuff...
very passionate and strong...
definitley dark...but with a ray of light...

:D :P

^okay. Yeah,I like alot of their early tunes too. But I think for them-whom I feel are quite the originators of that synth sound(along with Joy Division)-that sound got a bit too repetitive. Everybody was doing that type of sound then. Maybe that's why they ended up changing their sound??

Vince Clarke....have to mention him because he was actually the founding member of DP but then left and created Yazoo(similar distinct synth techniques as DP at the time)with Alison Moyet.

:lol:...scott...did you read my earlier post in this thread?...

:innocent:...

:wink:...
guess not!..LOL

softgrey said:
right...well the social aspect is what i thought made them brilliant...
lots of bands and singers whine about themselves....
the social conscience is what set them apart for me...

otherwise they become 'the smiths'...
oh woe is me....:lol:...

**notice...that is also when dave gahan went spiralling down in to depression and tried vigorously to kill himself...

i am a happy goth...
i still have hope for humanity...

:lol:...:P

I firmly believe I am a closet "goth"..
When I was a kid listening to DM, the Cure, New Order and so on.. everyone around me was into Madonna and Cyndi Lauper.. my parents were scared to death that there was something seriously wrong with me... until I actually got my father into DM.. on the other hand if I want to irritate my boyfriend all I have to do is sing Question of Lust, Somebody, people of people, and Just can't get enough and it's like nails on chalk board to him. Well Hell I feel the same way about White Stripes.

yeah...
but that stuff wasn't really goth andora, so you're safe...
:lol:...
it's just too hopeful and dance-y to be goth...
bauhaus is true goth...

i was never really a goth either...
i just hung around some of them at the clubs cause the clubs were all mixed...you know?...
because...
in the words of dave gahan...
'people are people'...

**i wish i could like the white stripes...i really do...
but i just find it boring...i think i listened to it once after buying it...:rolleyes:

jazz seems to be the new frontier for me now...
:D...

softgrey said:
yeah...
but that stuff wasn't really goth andora, so you're safe...
it's just too hopeful and dance-y to be goth...
bauhaus is true goth...

i was never really a goth either...
i just hung around some of them at the clubs cause the clubs were all mixed...you know?...
because...
in the words of dave gahan...
'people are people'...

**i wish i could like the white stripes...i really do...
but i just find it boring...i think i listened to it once after buying it...:rolleyes:

jazz seems to be the new frontier for me now...
:D...

Funny you mentioned this BAUHAUS group.. apparently they are coming here end of the month, which my BF finds odd since they broke up. He goes to me.. you know BAUHAUS right.. and I'm like.. the club.. YES I'm a club kid.. and he goes.. ummm no! LOL!
I'm telling you over and over again, you and Rob are meant to be friends, I feel it!

even funnier is that my friends in vancouver just went to see bauhaus and called me during the show so i could listen to my favourite song over the phone...:lol:...
yeah- i know...i was surprised they got back together too!...
so-tell rob i say hi!..:wink:

erm...yeah ...
and depeche mode totally rocks!...:mohawk:

*whew...
had to get the original topic in there somehow...
:innocent:..

I kinda want to see DM....still haven't heard the latest though

........I really wanna see Bauhaus

melt977 said:
One of my favourite songs is In your Room, on the Songs of Faith & Devotion album - which I think it's a very good start for someone unfamiliar to their sound.cIf you missed the 80's it might be hard to apprecizte all those synths and electronica

Awesome song, I do agree. Others I :heart:..

Try Walking in My Shoes
Mercy in You
Stripped...very sexy song
Higher Love... the build-up is great
Waiting for the Night

etc., etc.

Well I've listened to 'Black Celebration' album a few times over now...it's perfect, totally dead on the stuff that I like, very 80's :heart:

Maybe we should start a thread on Bauhaus too?

I'm in awe of Peter Murphy's presence...

^ Not familiar with Bauhaus... are they big in the UK? DM-like music?

I am familiar with only one song by Peter Murphy, and that's... "Cuts You Up", right...?

No....Bauhaus are goth... really good stuff... great performances... great atmosphere too...

Erin said:
^ Not familiar with Bauhaus... are they big in the UK? DM-like music?

I am familiar with only one song by Peter Murphy, and that's... "Cuts You Up", right...?
right...cuts you up is peter murphy...my fave is indigo eyes...
:heart:...
i don't really like bauhaus so much..:ninja:...

sorry andora...
back to depeche...
route 66 is BRILLIANT!!!...imo...

*stripped is good too...:flower:

I absolutely love STRIPPED! everyone thinks I'm CHEESE to love Route 66.. I loved the remix of route 66 and Personal Jesus..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sliver54
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->