Donna Karan S/S 2012 : Adriana Lima by Russell James

tarsha

Reaction score

HAITI ON HER MIND: Donna Karan is clearly passionate about Haiti. She’s been spending much time on the island since it was struck by an earthquake in 2010, and has worked with local artisans on new designs. Haiti also informed her spring 2012 collection — particularly its black-and-white graphics inspired by Haitian artist Philippe Dodard — so it made sense for the designer to shoot the ad campaign there. Karan enlisted her photographer friend Russell James of collaborative art project “Nomad Two Worlds” to shoot the visuals, and tapped Brazilian model Adriana Lima, best known as a Victoria’s Secret angel, to appear in it. “I have never used her before, and I am totally in love with her,” Karan told WWD. “She shows the heart and soul of Haiti.”

Shot in the Southern Haiti town of Jacmel, several of the atmospheric images feature Lima in the Hotel Florita or on a “tap tap” taxi typical to Haiti. The campaign will break in fashion and lifestyle books in March, and the company is also producing a 16-page image brochure for consumers with more photos and details about the inspiration for the season and campaign.

wwd.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i thought christy, kk and liya are supposed to be in this campaign.

Adriana looks great, love the campaign as well. :heart:

this is beautiful, although I was expecting the supers. Adriana completely blows me away in these shots, Russel did a great job as well.

I find it ironic that they're advertising Hati (one of the worlds poorest countries) alongside clothing that costs hundreds to thousands of dollars.
It seems a little immoral, unless proceeds from sales are being donated which I doubt they are.

I find it ironic that they're advertising Hati (one of the worlds poorest countries) alongside clothing that costs hundreds to thousands of dollars.
It seems a little immoral, unless proceeds from sales are being donated which I doubt they are.

the collection was inspired by Haiti, and although i dont believe this collection has a charity involved, Rusel shot Adriana for a special capsule collection from DK that has money donating to Haiti from the sales. I believe it's Urban Zen, but someone can correct me if I am wrong:flower:

the collection was inspired by Haiti, and although i dont believe this collection has a charity involved, Rusel shot Adriana for a special capsule collection from DK that has money donating to Haiti from the sales. I believe it's Urban Zen, but someone can correct me if I am wrong:flower:

Well if that's true then please disregard my post.

I never thought of her as a Donna girl, but well, it's nice nonetheless

This looks great, Adriana is a great choice for this collection. I am also happy for Russell James and hope that this signals a return to him doing more fashion shoots. I know that VS and his other clients keep him busy but I would like to see more fashion stuff from him, I particularly liked his Marie Claire covers - especially the Gisele ones from a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAITI ON HER MIND: Donna Karan is clearly passionate about Haiti. She’s been spending much time on the island since it was struck by an earthquake in 2010, and has worked with local artisans on new designs. Haiti also informed her spring 2012 collection — particularly its black-and-white graphics inspired by Haitian artist Philippe Dodard — so it made sense for the designer to shoot the ad campaign there. Karan enlisted her photographer friend Russell James of collaborative art project “Nomad Two Worlds” to shoot the visuals, and tapped Brazilian model Adriana Lima, best known as a Victoria’s Secret angel, to appear in it. “I have never used her before, and I am totally in love with her,” Karan told WWD. “She shows the heart and soul of Haiti.”

Shot in the Southern Haiti town of Jacmel, several of the atmospheric images feature Lima in the Hotel Florita or on a “tap tap” taxi typical to Haiti. The campaign will break in fashion and lifestyle books in March, and the company is also producing a 16-page image brochure for consumers with more photos and details about the inspiration for the season and campaign.
wwd.com via vivaglam

Surprisingly good, given the parties involved. I was hoping KK, Liya, Christy would be in this, but Adriana pulls it off.

I can't wait until that first shot causes a huge controversy, because you know it will, lol.

I love this campaign. I like how Adriana doesn't let the clothes overpower her, and that she's not just a 'coathanger'.

:rolleyes: And without a doubt, yes there will be some kind of controversy.

Russell James shot this :shock:? Surprised because I think it's very good. I was a bit iffy seeing that it was shot in Haiti but if proceeds are going towards them...alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->