Emanuel Ungaro - The All-Things Emanuel Ungaro Thread

the only houses that should be revived are vionnet, grès and maybe poiret... but vionnet is maybe the only one that feels relevant for today and truly deserves a revival

Slightly off topic, but I really like Valli's collections for Ungaro (SS02 to SS05). They were definitely under his brand of "pretty", but they had a visceral, instinctual feeling that his eponymous work severely lacks.

Mister Arnault bought Ungaro's old 'hôtel particulier' in Paris not so long ago.

Here's a pic of it from AD :

48.jpg

Beautiful, isn't it ?

I love this ad from Ungaro :

s-l1600.jpg

This white dress is stunning but other than that, I've never been really excited about the brand.

I'd be more excited by a Nina Ricci couture revival :

f7d6a7f48d9cd1f5febe34db63fccc8a.jpg

This is seriously beautiful. I'm just afraid the brand has been damaged beyond repair.

the only houses that should be revived are vionnet, grès and maybe poiret... but vionnet is maybe the only one that feels relevant for today and truly deserves a revival
They tried a revival of Vionnet years ago. It was actually fabulous. They had Sofia Kokosalaki but more notable, they got Rodolfo Paglialunga who did a FABULOUS job. But as usual, good things never last and when he left, they never recovered.

They tried another revival for Poiret but it was a flop from the first season.

Mister Arnault bought Ungaro's old 'hôtel particulier' in Paris not so long ago.

Here's a pic of it from AD :

View attachment 1268246

Beautiful, isn't it ?

I love this ad from Ungaro :

View attachment 1268247

This white dress is stunning but other than that, I've never been really excited about the brand.

I'd be more excited by a Nina Ricci couture revival :

View attachment 1268248

This is seriously beautiful. I'm just afraid the brand has been damaged beyond repair.
A Revival of Nina Ricci Couture in 2024. Do we miss the past, that much?
They haven’t managed to make their RTW relevant since Peter Copping left…So Couture?

TBH I think we need to stop throwing Frida name she some kind of genius savoir for all these struggle Italian brands. I mean in terms of taste and creativity she is on the same level of her bestie MGC. At least with MGC her accessories are good and her merchandise is actually feel luxurious and desirable. I cannot recall any good memorable collection from Frida tenure at Gucci.

Honestly I rather wear clothes from MGC or Maximilian Davis before I touch any by Frida.

A Revival of Nina Ricci Couture in 2024. Do we miss the past, that much?
They haven’t managed to make their RTW relevant since Peter Copping left…So Couture?
Yes, I miss the past that much, haha ! You gotta look at archival Ricci, go beyond the plethora of designers that came in, did RTW for a few years and got fired. 50s Ricci Couture was gooood, trust me ! It was a great couture house in the past, like Saint Laurent, Givenchy and Ungaro. Saint Laurent worked for Dior, Givenchy and Ungaro learned from Balenciaga himself. There must talented couturiers somewhere who can maintain and cultivate that heritage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->