Gia Carangi

SiennaInLondon

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking at some of Gia Carangi's stats and after having been on Fashion Forums for a few weeks they were so different to the stats you guys have been posting for models today. Her height was something like 5ft8" (apparently though it was an inch less -Wilhelmina just massaged the figures cos they liked her) and her weight was about 120lbs. Compared to the sky high Tiiu for example that seems so bizarre. I know 5ft8" is meant to be cut off point but other than the remnants of the 80s gals like Kate Moss, more realistically it seems to be 5ft10". It is not even that people are getting universally taller -Americans are on average getting shorter because of the poverty they have there. Europe is the only continent that is slightly growing.

I was wondering whether people think we should be getting back to the 70s style of models in terms of a more normal height and weight. Even their faces were more everyday or 'girl next door'. Gia didn't have the razor sharp cheekbones of say Yasmin Warsame or the brows of Anouk Lepere or the eyes of Trish Goff. At first I was like what is the fuss all about then her face grew on me. Janice Dickinson was similar -prettier (I use the word pretty rather than beautiful because I can't quite get used to their faces -my idea of a model is obviosly very noughties) than Gia (a real freak show now though!) with a face that didn't blow you away with the perfection of the bone structure but then grew on you as something slightly cruel came through. They were typical 70s hedonists and I think it helped their work but then models today have such an insane level of beauty that maybe living the hedonist life isn't necessary to give their faces something -plus they will last a lot longer than Gia did. However, a lot of them seem dead in the eyes like Hana or Natalia V or Dewi -there is nothing in there.

It it such a huge step to go from Gia to Tiiu -from everyday prettiness to freakishly inhuman beauty. I wonder how it happened...

Sienna
:heart:

Originally posted by SiennaInLondon@Oct 29 2004, 11:04 AM
I was wondering whether people think we should be getting back to the 70s style of models in terms of a more normal height and weight.
[snapback]410288[/snapback]​

In my opinion, no. I think the state of modeling has never been better than the present. Furthermore, what I like about the 70s era is a hippie and natural chicness, which is alive and well (e.g., Stegner with her fringe). A return to bygone heights and weights does not conern me.

But only recently (as in recent decades) has there become the obsession with being thin. There was a time when beauty meant having curves. Many people would point to Marilyn Monroe as an example. A full figured sex symbol. She'd probably be a nobody if she was trying to break into the business today.

Gia had curves and I think Gia was different from the norm of blonde hair/blue eyes at that time. And when you look at her photographs there is emotion in her eyes...an intensity (probably from her general state of mind and the drugs), while many girls are missing that today.

When I first discovered the legend of Gia, I, too wondered what the big deal was. But after becoming more interested in fashion and watching today's models, then looking back at Gia again, I totally see it. She's just stunning to me now and she was a great model.

The only way I can see that Tiuu or some of the new girls would be more perfect than the 70s models is that they are taller and thinner. The structure of a face is so much more than sharpness which has its origin in thinness. In my opinion.

What we see now is a thin-fascism but in the 70s they had very strict rules about facial structure - Cheryl Tiegs and icy blondes were very much the norm. Strange noses were impossible for models - Eugenia would have been too ethnic for the kind of success she's had now.

I don't care about the height and weight as long as the facial structure and expression/impression is magnificent. My fav era was 1967-1969, 1975-1982 and 2002-present. I really think Gemma, Lily, Amanda, Julia and Jeisa (for instance) have that special something that Penelope Tree, Gia, Janice and Twiggy had - and that the 90s models lacked. Something inspiring and mysterious, yet approachable.

And I must say that while I can see what you're talking about when you say there's nothing in there in Dewi or Natalia V, I can't say the same about Hana. That girl has it all...

Originally posted by iluvjeisa@Oct 29 2004, 12:44 PM
My fav era was 1967-1969, 1975-1982 and 2002-present. I really think Gemma, Lily, Amanda, Julia and Jeisa (for instance) have that special something that Penelope Tree, Gia, Janice and Twiggy had - and that the 90s models lacked. Something inspiring and mysterious, yet approachable.
[snapback]410441[/snapback]​
I feel exactly the same way! I dislike the "every woman" look of models like Gia and even the models of the 90's. I find models much more interesting if they have something slightly strange and different about them. Large eyes, a long, almost inhuman figure... Not curvy and natural and expected. Runway fashion isn't the real world for most people, I think that models should reflect that sense of imagination, fantasy and unreality. I really do think that these models today are amazing! Their only competitors would have been the equally different icons of the 60's... I really wouldn't want to return to the boredom of the other decades.

post-11-1077672044.jpg

Also maybe it is the photography that is very different. The lighting in 70s photos looks like very flat natural light which captures none of the angles of the face

Gia Carrangi

I noticed that someone wrote that their fave model is Gia.How about pictures of her?She was very striking and tough yet vulnerable in her modeling pictures.Can any of you post any pictures of her?Her story is so sad and I wish she would have cleaned herself up.She did make a beautiful picture model.:heart:

I love Gia, that legendary 'presence' lended its influence toward some very compelling photographs...

I like this series of photos (shot by Chris von Wangenheim:(

http://www.giamariecarangi.com

Attachments

• 02gia.jpg
    02gia.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 03gia.jpg
    03gia.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 09gia.jpg
    09gia.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 08gia.jpg
    08gia.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 91
Shes one of my favs, reminds me of an aussie model called Ilona. Smoking good looks.
first 2 pics Gia, last one Ilona (just to see the comparison)

Attachments

• gia.jpg
    gia.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 82
  • gia carangi st.jpg
    gia carangi st.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 125
  • ilona.jpg
    ilona.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 112
Her story was very sad to me...

http://www.thegiacarangiproject.com/
Must checK Out her website for sure(especially the part of her Bio and her excellent beauty photos)

july8.JPG

elgort2.JPG

pink.JPG

She is the most beautiful woman in the world I've ever seen!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Carangi :smile:

Well, she certainly is my fav model, that's for sure. Can't say I see any significant similarity between Ilona and Gia, though.

Attachments

• german_vogue_october_1979__gia__denis_piel_4sm.jpg
    german_vogue_october_1979__gia__denis_piel_4sm.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ger_sm_gia.jpg
    ger_sm_gia.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 124
partaking in the myth...
ambiance2.JPG

also i find the casual pictures on the giacarangiproject very beautiful only they are so small.

i love gia, too... but isn't there already a thread on her?

candid-29.jpg

cute pic

stember13.gif

zZzZz

I saw Gia the movie with Angelina a while back. Well, I didn't get to see all of it, just up to when she's in the Geisha outfit :doh: It was pretty good so far

Last edited by a moderator:
On topic, (I hope) I agree with what Cindy Crawford once said that "Who's to say that the modelling industry is worse now than it was then?" I mean, then the models were approachable and were household names, but today everyone can be considered beautiful, from the conventional looking ones to the holocaust survivors to the stwie look-a-likes plus size girls...

Gia by Arthur Elgort and Chris von Wangenheim, Italian Bazaar July/August 1978.

Attachments

• bazaar_italia_july_august_1978_elgort8_alltimefavsm.jpg
    bazaar_italia_july_august_1978_elgort8_alltimefavsm.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 142
  • bazaar_italia_july_august_1978_wangenheim6sm.jpg
    bazaar_italia_july_august_1978_wangenheim6sm.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 149
Early photoshoot by Friedman.

Attachments

• giaphoto09sm.jpg
    giaphoto09sm.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 135
  • giaphoto11sm.jpg
    giaphoto11sm.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 148
  • dec-13sm.jpg
    dec-13sm.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 102
She was the best model ever.Lovely, lovely Gia:heart: :heart: :heart: Thanx for the superb pics iluvjeisa!!!:flower: :flower: :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->