Handbag Leather/Skins Care and Repair

morgause

Reaction score
I don't know if anyones started a thread like this but I had a couple questions re: care of some of my bags.

I have an old Pucci python messenger/shoulder bag which is my favorite bag ever. But the scales have started peeling and becoming dry and brittle in general (not on the body just on the strap and edges of the bag) I was advised by the Italian woman who sold it to me to oil it every now and then but I never did. I think it just needs some care and attention to get back in shape.

Is it possible to make curled scales go back down? Also what kind of oil to use on python skin?

Onto another topic, I notice my light colored leather bags somtimes tend to retain water stains from raindrops. Most fade as it dries but a few are permanent! How to prevent or fix this?

thnx in advance!

I can't help with the python I'm afraid, but a good product for smooth leather bags is "Collonil Classic Waterstop" spray. I use this on my Mulberry Darwin oak bag [this leather is terrible for watermarks] and my Miu Miu bags & it's brilliant. It's stopped rainspots, but doesn't prevent the leather from aging nicely. They also produce cleaning products, but not sure if any can remove existing waterspots. http://www.collonil.com/

Other members on this forum have talked about Apple Leather Care products. I haven't tried it as it's not available in the UK where I am, but here's their site http://www.applepolishes.com/applepolishes/prodinfo.htm - they do protectors and cleaners, and mention that Apple Garde is good for exotic leathers.

Generally lanolin-based products are fine to use on most leathers - you should avoid certain types though, such as

• waxes or silicone products as these can stop the leather from being able to "breathe"
  • preparations containing alcohol or petroleum distillates (eg turpentine or white spirit) as these are caustic and will damage the leather
  • mink oil or other animal fats will darken leather. They can also turn rancid, and cause the stitching and leather to rot.
Hope that helps..

thnx for the info! I checked out the apple website..can the apple garde and apple leather care be used on the same bag?

But is there anything specific for python? Also how about the peeling scales? I keep wanting to glue the scales back down but I'm sure that's a big no no =P

I've got a matte white genuine croco leather bag. How on earth do I take care of it? Pls help, thanks

I bought a vintage snake skin clutch on ebay. The skin/leather seems very dry and I'm afraid it might crack if I start using it.
I really need some tips for how to take care of this bag. What products can be used to hydrate snake skin items?

Bag Care

I can't find any forum regarding this so I'm starting one.
I have a satin clutch and it catches dirt so fast. Since it's black in color, the dirt are very obvious. Does anyone have any advice on how I should clean it?
Thank you :flower:

I have a leather Chi by Carlos Falchi bag in bright blue/cobalt... I just got it this past winter, and the color is wearing off to the white that was underneath! Is this just a case of poor quality that i can't do anything about...or might there be some ways to "repair" it and prevent further damage? Would really appreciate any feedback...Loved the bag and color, and am very disappointed! Grrr, lol
Thanks so much in advance :smile:

python/snakeskin: you need to re-moisturize those scales, hon...with exotic skins, you really need to keep up a regular regimen of care, otherwise the scales will curl and over time, the bag will be ruined. i know they're trying silicon injections in some exotic skins now to prevent the normal aging process, but there's also info online in keeping those skins well taken care of.

please check out this site: http://www.vintageskins.com/service.htm

Thank you jun! That site seems to sell a specific product though. It would be great if someone could give me tips on what type of product it should be, so I can try to find something similar here.
I have a leather conditioner that is sort of a light brown jello, that I use on some of my handbags. Would that work on the snakeskin as well? It contains wax, lanolin, "natural oils" and coconut (oil i presume).

they do use a particular product but also tell you that you can use over the counter moisturizers, mink oil and kiwi brand products...i think they prefer the BICK brand, but the tips they give are very helpful...

BUMP!

I put my Fendi bag back together with Super Glue. -_-:doh: I mean, I didn't want to spend a lot of money for a leather worker to charge me up the wazoo. I merely fixed one of the handles so that I was back on the gold hoop.

Instead, I simply applied Super Glue to the leather and pressed down. The first time, the glue seeped out the back and came out the other side, onto the silk. (The interior is vety dark, so it wasn't noticeable).

The Super Glue can't possibly discolor the bag down the road, yes?

I recently bought a Luella oversized clutch made in watersnake, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on caring for the skin and how the clutch should be stored?

How to clean dye transfer off your beloved leather bags? I have a Vert D'eau City

Hello all!

Anyone have good ways to remove the slight dye transfer stains I have on the back of my Vert D'Eau City? I tried scrubbing a bit with a cloth and dish soap and it looks like it might have lightened the leather some :(

I've had luck getting denim transfer off of my Oak Alexa using Philosophy's "Pure" makeup cleanser, which I got at Sephora.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evelynnnn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->