How does a Designer make you feel when wearing their clothes?

Ianastar

Reaction score
I was reading an article in TEN MEN and the author stated something that got me thinking?

"Dior Homme makes me want to wear eyeliner, use a hair straightener and put the occasional needle in my forearm, for example. Whereas Yves Saint Laurent makes me want to buy expensive cigarettes and wear leopard print loafers to gallery openings in Chelsea"

from Derek Blasberg "John Varvatos: Let's Go Shopping"

So it made me think...about a culture or identity that surrounds a designer. And how do you feel when you wear a certain designer? Is there a lifestyle that embodies the look of a designer?

Oh, what a wonderful post!
I think fashion is so fascinating in the sense that it can completely transform you, and make you feel thousands of different things. Some pieces can have almost that clean, lemon-y citrus & flowers feelings, and yet you can wear things that make you want to smoke alot of vintage cigarettes and crawl around the lower east side. I have so manyyy favorites, I'll just list a few:

When I think of clean & beautiful things I always think of Carolina Herrera. Everything always seems so...fresh and wonderful. Like I should be sitting in a field of flowers or playing on the beaches Newport.

I have a passion for Yves Saint Laurent; I always get the feeling of really beautiful vamps sitting languidly in big, gothic chairs smoking a million cigarettes, with make-up so dark you can hardly see their eyes, haha.

Lanvin makes me think of Paris. All of those sober lines and slim, glamorous figures sitting in cafes, or chatting over coffee at the Ritz.

But, I think Balenciaga is the most fascinating because it always seems to change. One season, the feel could be the 1960s futuristic ideas and era of robots, the next reminds me of aborigines in the australian outback. It's absolutely fabulous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that Dolce&Gabbana makes me wanna flirt with women for some odd reason.

I bought my first high priced suit last week by Bottega Veneta and when I wore it, I felt so luxurious. I felt like a million bucks and felt like spending a million bucks as well.

Roland Mouret makes me feel sexier (the cut of his dresses make you walk a certain way!).
Boudicca makes me feel serene and intelligent.
Peter Jensen makes me want to clap my hands in a babyish manner.
Lanvin makes me feel empowered and coquettish all at the same time....

It makes me feel elegant, luxurious and special. Brainwashing? Maybe.. :blush:

this vintage versace makes me feel sexy
armani blazer makes me feel androgynous
prada makes me feel "proper"
marc jacobs makes me feel cute

but alot of it i think has to do with the cut of the garment

Paul Smith makes me feel "fun"--happy clothes for happy people..

Dries Van Noten just makes me feel plain old stylish in the most traditional sense of the word, in a "cool, calm, collected" manner..

Interesting thread...

I'm in my teens and in a rural part of the south so I don't have the most acess to high end fashion but the first time I wore something intensly expensive was a Burberry trench coat that made me feel dapper and like and english dandy.

ahh..this is great...

i think that if a designer is worth their salt...or stitch...then they have a point of view...
and if you buy into their point of view...often times you buy their clothes...

this is def true...

for me...
the best example is vintage YSL-late 60's-early 70's...
or anything that evokes that era in fashion...
it always makes me feel like a lady...just very chic and grown up...
and i definitely carry myself that way if i'm dressed like that....
it's very elegant and mature... sexy and confident...

then there are the japanese...
with their alternative points of view, asymmetrical cuts and raw edges...
they always make me feel defiant and rebellious...and STRONG...
i think they make the most empowering clothes ...
they make me feel like an urban warrior...

:heart:

for me though...it's about the combination of the two...
sexy elegant urban warrior...
:P

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been buying more Ferragammo lately, and it makes me feel rich.:blush:

i really wish there were more responses to this thread..

^_^....

I don't have many designer items but the ones I do have were bought on sale and it still makes me feel broke and a little guilty...:doh:

When I wear my Dolce and Gabbana boots I feel extremely over the top as they attract so many compliments. I'm not one to want to attract THAT much attention, so I rarely wear them.

When I wear my Dolce and Gabbana boots I feel extremely over the top as they attract so many compliments. I'm not one to want to attract THAT much attention, so I rarely wear them.

Very funny you should mention Dolce & Gabbana :D I was just sitting here thinking, I usually feel pretty much like myself no matter what I'm wearing ... except for my red patent Dolce heels, they make me feel a little different ... :brows:

PS Being a Leo, I find a way to deal with the compliments :wink:

moschino i feel is an extention of myself..if a fabric were ever to describe my personality, thoughts, or ideals moschino would definitely have created it:flower: so when i wear it, i feel like the hyper extended version of me..whatever that means:P

Whenever I wear Disney shirts (like my "I'd Rather Be in Disneyland" one), I do feel a bit different, almost as if I don't fit in. While that may very well be true (:wink:), it's something that's always been a self conscious thought of mine.

i know i would feel happy & feel like painting/doing artsy things all the time if i was wearing Marni... as in the womenswear.

not so much getting this feeling by a lot of designers... the examples that come across my mind have been mentioned before... especially dior homme and ysl.

but... i think the greatest impact clothes can have on me is the posture they evoke... like in very narrow pants i tend to move much more attentive... much more tensed - like as if my body would be waiting for a trigger and suddenly my motions would just explode and express so many things... it makes me feel so edgy...
on the other hand... a well tailored pair of trousers gives a feeling of nonchalance and "unearthlyness" to me... feeling as if i was detached from the world... moving in a pure and simple way...

may sound a bit pathetic... but well made clothes make me change my posture and motion. so they change my allure...

and i forgot helmut lang... how could i...

anyhow... mostly its cuts, textures, volumes, etc. to me... those evoke a special feeling...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anamali
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->