Is wearing a knockoff always a fashion faux-pas?

Yasmin

Reaction score
If not, which knockoffs can sometimes be acceptable to wear?

I'm going to assume that a logoed bag that is really obviously fake always says "tacky."

But what about?

- Logoed really believable fakes

- No logos, but clothing/shoes/bag very similar in style to a designer item

- etc?

Trying to pass off fakes as the real thing is always tacky. Always.

Wearing obviously fake stuff can be very stylish if it's done with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek.

Practically anything can be worn and look great with the right attitude and styling.

I say its tacky ALWAYS very tacky. Not only is it tacky but you kind of take away the grandness of the real thing because it becomes a common place item.

If you can't afford a designer bag or shoes or whatever, instead of buying knockoffs to look like you can afford the real thing, buy a lower end brand and just wear it "right". You can make a skirt from Wal-Mart look designer if you piece everything together properly.

Honestly, I'd rather pay 50 bucks for a very good knock-off then 500 for the real thing because ever since logomania took off and ruined every elite and fashionable logo known to man, the exclusivity of the 500 dollar genuine bag has died. And lets face it, the only reason anyone buys an LV or Gucci logo-ed bag is for the exclusivity associated with it, but since the chic-ness and elite status that goes with it is gone, go ahead and buy the fake.

I wouldn't buy a fake logo (I don't really buy the real ones either--they're tacky too), but I might buy a lower-priced item that "interprets" designer if I didn't feel like paying the designer price for that item. One example that comes to mind ... Nine West or a similar shoe brand interpreted Marc Jacobs' crocheted shoe in I believe an espadrille where his was a Mary Jane, in the same or similar colors. I don't see a huge fashion crime there with buying the lower-priced shoe. In my mind the good fashionista will know what she's doing though :wink:

It's not as tacky as paying 500$+ to get a cult bag....

I don't have a problem with "inspired" pieces, like fashionista-ta mentioned, but I do have a problem with blatent fakes. It's a crime to buy and sell knockoffs.

justlucky said:
I don't have a problem with "inspired" pieces, like fashionista-ta mentioned, but I do have a problem with blatent fakes. It's a crime to buy and sell knockoffs.

Exactly. What part of illegal do we not understand people?! Besides, fakes are so obvious - they just look silly... :doh:

justlucky said:

Right on the money.

I also hate when people say - you can't tell the difference there are mirror-replicas blahblahblah, there will always be difference between real and fakes.

fashionista-ta said:
I wouldn't buy a fake logo (I don't really buy the real ones either--they're tacky too), but I might buy a lower-priced item that "interprets" designer if I didn't feel like paying the designer price for that item. One example that comes to mind ... Nine West or a similar shoe brand interpreted Marc Jacobs' crocheted shoe in I believe an espadrille where his was a Mary Jane, in the same or similar colors. I don't see a huge fashion crime there with buying the lower-priced shoe. In my mind the good fashionista will know what she's doing though :wink:

I agree, you can find a lot of great bags that don't cost $500. I don't buy fakes because #1: I can't afford them and #2: why bother its not like LV or Gucci bags are that great (they just been around a long time), there are so many other great designers out there!

LoveMyBoots said:
I agree, you can find a lot of great bags that don't cost $500. I don't buy fakes because #1: I can't afford them and #2: why bother its not like LV or Gucci bags are that great (they just been around a long time), there are so many other great designers out there!

I totally agree! (And I LOVE your name!..."Lovemyboots"...SO cute!! Do you wear boots quite often? I do. (Mostly knee high with stilettoes.)

Always a faux pas. Besides, by the time something is knocked off it is so overdone, I would rather find something nice in my own price range.

Emily363 said:
I totally agree! (And I LOVE your name!..."Lovemyboots"...SO cute!! Do you wear boots quite often? I do. (Mostly knee high with stilettoes.)

Thanks! Boots has been an on/off obsession with me ever since I was little, but this time I think the fixation is here to stay! :D
---------------

I don't look down on those who buy fakes because the authentic ones are expensive. I loathe the stores or people who sell the fakes, especially when they look almost nothing like the original!

I think fakes are very tacky. If you can't afford the real bag, just choose a different style

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->