Makeup Tips for Black / African / Dark Skin?

I've been looking at tinted moisturizers from Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, and Mac but I've been leaning towards the Laura Mercier one because it has a wider range of brown/darker shades. Which ones are better?
LM and Bobbi Brown - way better than MAC on foundations and the likes. I would never buy anything but Face & Body from MAC

Each time I am in a book store I have to look through it. From what I heard, his book along with Bobbi Brown's Beauty are the books to have in the beauty world.

I am not an expert on primer...but I believe it is for smoothing out lines,evening out skin tone,stabilizing make up and making it last longer. I hope that helps

Same here. I hear it's considered the ultimate beauty bible.

Yes, it did, thank you. If it evens out the skin tone I ma have to consider investing in one.

I'm thinking of giving sephora Mat Velvet a try. I cant decide if I'm going to purchase the No. 85 or No. 90. Any suggestions?

I've never tried Laura Mercier but I do have the Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer and I really like it its great IMO for light everyday coverage. I usually dust some Fashion Flair powder or Mac Mineralize over it with some Black Radiance blush I feel fresh enough to go out the door without being an overly madeup version of myself.

I've never used MakeUp Forever Mat Velvet but it seems to have good reviews. I most ofter hear ppl speak of the Makeup Forever Face and Body Liquid Foundation and the HD Microfinish translucent powder.

Dark skin girl checking in. My fav brand foundation is Prescriptives. Since the brand has been discontinued, I order from their website or ebay. I love the All skins foundation.
I also like MUFE Mat velvet + in 85
Nars Sheer matte in Benares
MAC concealer in the pot in NW50

long time since ive posted.
this is a must if you have sensitve skin that breaks out or reacts poorly with certain makeup & for those interested in mineral makeup.
Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation.
amazing color selection. warm, cool, neutral, beige, golden & olive tones to choose from, not to mention there are only like 3 ingredients in the foundation, very good for my sensitive acneic skin. i am nc44 in mac & i wear warm 6 in alima...
this stuff is the most forgiving on all my scars & blemishes out of all the liquid/powder foundations ive tried in the past.
http://www.alimapure.com <--you can go there and try samples to find your shade for just a dollar

(im not affiliated with them i just love the stuff lol)

Anyone have any or know of any foundation primer favorites for dark brown skin?

I have been looking for a foundation and having alot of trouble. It looks okay in the store and then after it turns red and mucky. Can anyone help?

I like Laura Mercier primer. Its the consistency of a lotion so it doesnt feel heavy on my skin like the silicone based primers.

I have been looking for a foundation and having alot of trouble. It looks okay in the store and then after it turns red and mucky. Can anyone help?

what brand do you use? I never had this kind of issue. My favourites were Gemey Maybelline and Armani.

i swear by smashbox photo finish light...
it's oil free and doesn't clog my pores and gives a smooth finish for my foundation...

my go-to drugstore foundation is maybelline dream mousse in caramel...
and i'm still loving chanel mat lumiere...

1hz4at.png

Halle Berry looked like feminine and monochromatic on the Oscar Red Carpet. Celebrity Makeup Artist Kara Yoshimoto Bua was inspired by the lightness and shimmer of Berry’s gorgeous Marchesa nude crystal and tulle strapless gown, and interpreted that into her soft nude makeup look. Keep reading to see Halle Berry’s full beauty breakdown with at the 2011 Oscars.

trans.gif

We played up her eyes with warm browns instead of blacks, keeping them shimmery and soft edged while defining them by smoking them up and lining the inner eye. I used Revlon Luxurious Smoky Eye Pencil in Brown Smoky, and Revlon Custom Eyes Mascara in Black. To balance out the smoky eye but to still keep her look healthy and fresh, I used peaches that are soft enough yet with enough color. I applied CHANEL Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Horizon on her cheeks, a warm glowing peach. I lined her lips with CHANEL Precision Lip Definer in Peche, a peach tone that has just enough brightness and definition, and applied CHANEL Glossimer in Petit Peche. Her base was a mixture of CHANEL Mat Lumiere Matte Fluid Makeup shades – Honey, Walnut and Chestnut.

blog.beautylish.com

what brand do you use? I never had this kind of issue. My favourites were Gemey Maybelline and Armani.

I've been using Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer but it seems to happen with many different formulas.

When I want light coverage, I use Boots No 7 Tinted Moisturizer with a setting powder. Works pretty good for me, although my oily skin tends to eventually make my matte look dewy. I think I am going to try the aura Mercier Tinter Moisturizer when this runs out. I heard excellent reviews.

And a cheap primer fix is Monistat Chafing Gel lol. I know it sounds hilarious but it's pretty reputable for being a good, efficient, and inexpensive primer. I just cant fathom how someone figured that out..... Google it for more info on it.

i swear by smashbox photo finish light...
it's oil free and doesn't clog my pores and gives a smooth finish for my foundation...

my go-to drugstore foundation is maybelline dream mousse in caramel...
and i'm still loving chanel mat lumiere...

Which shade are you in the mat lumiere?
Posted via Mobile Device

Marni: Maybe keeping the foundation or tinted cream in the freezer would prevent its deterioration... Just a thought.

Kimair : you make me want to try that primer!

azfp7s.jpg

Amy Sall, NY Editor, Lurve Magazine
“I’m growing my hair out right now so I keep it in a little bun. I wash it every week at the hair salon. African American hair, it’s a process—you have to wash it once a week; if I washed it every day, it would fall out! So I go every week and get it washed, conditioned, and blown out. I go to a salon in the Bronx called Doris*—my hairdresser’s Doris—she is amazing. She’s been recommended to me by a ton of people. She assesses the situation and treats it from there. I get it relaxed every two to three months, otherwise it’s super curly. It’s not easy to manage when it’s curly! [Laughs] Anyway, it’s around $80 a week, but it’s worth it. I usually go to Ricky’s for hair products; I like this line called Mizani—it’s super moisturizing.

For my face, I use Kiehl’s Foaming Non-Detergent Washable Cleanser; it’s really simple and wonderful. And then I use their Pineapple Papaya Facial Scrub—it’s really gentle but you still feel the exfoliation happening. Right now, I’m using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF 15. My face tends to get oily so I keep my moisturizer pretty light. And I know it sounds cliché but I do drink a ton of water. It’s a chore, for sure, but I’m always like, ‘This has to work.’

I’d always been afraid of experimenting with color because I have very dark skin, so it took me a while to get comfortable with adding a splash of color here and there. Now I’ll throw on a berry lipstick—I’ve learned that deep plum colors work well with my complexion. Like what I’m wearing right now—this is ‘Confession’ by Urban Decay. Normally I wear mascara, by Sephora or Givenchy. If something unexpected shows up on my face, I’ll use a little Makeup Forever concealer.”

*Doris Salon, 4641 White Plains Road, Bronx NY, 347-843-7407
intothegloss.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yohjiyamamotor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->