Makeup Tips for Black / African / Dark Skin?

wow I totally forgot to come back in here.
marlasinger you would be proud (i hope) I found a nyx lip pencil in a perfect shade for my lips and while in the mac store i saw a mua with the perfect nude lip and she directed me to the "spite" lip glass a combination of the lip pencil and that lip glass the perfect nude. On the days i don't use the lip pencil i use a dark brown lipstick with the spite over it.

I'm really happy these days :smile:

People are here, things are quiet, but there are definitely still things left to talk about. I'm currently on the hunt for a new loose powder, La Mer has decided to discontinue theirs, leaving only the translucent option which is all but useless for me.

Thought this might be of interest for some, Rihanna always has interesting cosmetic looks:

Rihanna's Favorite Makeup

34yp81v.jpg

Image Credit | InStyle.com

^^wow. Her and I share the some faves in regards to YSL and Tweezerman. Even have the same color mascara and tweezer shown lol. I would love to know what favorite color tfs woman of color is wearing on her cheeks now? I rediscovered(had for over 5 yrs) Chanel Irreelle blush. I thought I really loved loved loved NARS Crazed and I still do. But the Chanel gives me more of the natural look I was seeking.

What's in Pat McGrath's Makeup Bag?

The holiday weekend is fast approaching, and those of you headed out of town will most likely bring makeup cases along for the ride. Skip the "grab-and-stuff" packing approach this year (do you really need five purple eye-shadow palettes, "just in case"?) and travel light with advice from Pat McGrath. The makeup guru creates runway-ready looks for the likes of Balenciaga, Miu Miu, and Comme des Garçons, and also serves as global creative director for Procter & Gamble, where her latest project involved teaming up with CoverGirl and LeSportSac on a line of makeup cases inspired by Steven Meisel’s ad for LashBlast mascara. So what's in McGrath's makeup case? Click through to read about the nine travel essentials she absolutely won't leave home without.

SKII Signs Eye Mask: I carry these to pop on during long-haul flights. They plump the skin around the eye and get rid of dark circles and simply feel refreshing when in the drying environment of the plane.

Olay Regenerist UV Defense Regenerating Lotion: A nice, rich moisturizer with the anti-aging benefits of the Regenerist line.

CoverGirl Queen Collection Natural Hue Minerals Bronzer: I brush this onto my cheeks and brow bone to warm up my complexion. The formulation has a subtle highlighting sheen which will give the face a radiant look.

Eyelash curler: I always curl my lashes before adding mascara. It makes my eyes really stand out and look naturally gorgeous.

Dior Addict Lip Glow Color Reviver Balm: This lip balm appears to be colorless, but when applied gives the lips a healthy color and slight sheen. It works on all skin tones.

Emergen-C Packets: To keep colds at bay. They also provide a nice natural source of energy.

CoverGirl Queen Collection Natural Hue Concealer: Perfectly camouflages imperfections for a smooth finish. The coverage is natural and blends with your skin tone.

Espa Soothing Body Oil: Helps me relax and overcome jet lag when flying to Europe.

Dolce & Gabbana Smooth Eye Color Quad in Champagne: I love [using] the smoky-brown shade to create a tone on the lid and add depth to my eyes.

nymag.com/thecut

Makeup Forever from Sephora has a ton of different colors it comes in, and it can match skin tone down to the T.

As everyone else said Nars is really great with their blushes, the only blush i have from them is a color called Sin. It looks great in the winter, but not that great as a summer blush.

I use Bare Essentials but I don't think it has enough shades to accommodate for darker skin tones.

Try Sleek blushes...SUPER pigmented, will show up on any skin tone! Everything Sleek really :D

i use makeup forever foundation. i find it's got great color for darker tones and goes on easy and smooth. easy to apply with great natural-looking coverage.

still learning, though. got waterproof mascara stuck in/on my eye...not cool.

MY favourite neutral look and I'm an NW45 is MAC Deep Dark MSF, MAC Love Blush Blusher, MAC Vex Eye Shadow, MAC Boot Black Eyeliner and Max Factor Masterpiece Mascara...and Victoria Secret's Juiced Berry Lipgloss. Nice and peachy

I should add though Origins Modern Friction exfoliator has done wonders!!! for my skin... so I don't really wear foundation anymore just the MSF

Right now I'm wearing a new liquid 24-Hour Maybelline foundation because I have particularly oily skin, something I hope is simply down to puberty. I think it's called "SuperStay". Before I put on the actual foundation I apply concealer (Illamasqua) to blemishes. The foundation stays on really well but I apply it with brush as it's ridiculously hard to get off of your fingers.
However, I'm really going for a "matt finish" look. Someone told me that a translucent powder might do the trick, could anyone suggest a good one?

^^ I would love to know as well in regards to the translucent powder. On the hunt for one. Mineral powders break me out and Coty is too ashy. I heard Bobbi Brown as some lovely ones for women of color.

What about Sephora's powder? I used it awhile ago but the result looked good and it was unexpensive.

I'm in the UK and I don't think they have Sephora here anymore but there is a sheer powder on Bobbi Brown, thank you! :smile:

I've been looking at tinted moisturizers from Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, and Mac but I've been leaning towards the Laura Mercier one because it has a wider range of brown/darker shades. Which ones are better?

Well, while some MAC consultants say I'm NC50 others say I'm NW45 so right now I'm just sticking to NC50. I DO like MAC and how versatile their make-up options are... but after 5 years I wanna see what else is out there.

I've tried a cremewblusher by Bobbi Brown (Pot Rough for lips and cheeks, Milk Choc.), which was a gorgeous, but didn't like the fact it was creme

Has anyone bought the book "Fine Beauty" by Sam Fine, BTW?

QUESTION: Can someone please explain what a primer is and why it's used. Thanx

Well, while some MAC consultants say I'm NC50 others say I'm NW45 so right now I'm just sticking to NC50. I DO like MAC and how versatile their make-up options are... but after 5 years I wanna see what else is out there.

I've tried a cremewblusher by Bobbi Brown (Pot Rough for lips and cheeks, Milk Choc.), which was a gorgeous, but didn't like the fact it was creme

Has anyone bought the book "Fine Beauty" by Sam Fine, BTW?

QUESTION: Can someone please explain what a primer is and why it's used. Thanx

Each time I am in a book store I have to look through it. From what I heard, his book along with Bobbi Brown's Beauty are the books to have in the beauty world.

I am not an expert on primer...but I believe it is for smoothing out lines,evening out skin tone,stabilizing make up and making it last longer. I hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashiongloss
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->