mcQueen's Puma line

he would seem to be the perfect person to try his hand at an aesthetically pleasing cantalivered shoe unlike (despite it's functional aims it still comes off looking too futuristic/ugly), i believe, nike has done.

It will be interesting to see how a designer will fit such high fashion into a sneaker...

Just a random thought: Wouldn't it be awful for a designer, whose clothes are normally well-treated and in good condition, to see something they designed all beat up from running in the rain and mud? Or worn out from so much wear?

I would hazard to guess that most people who buy y3 or say, puma platinum, don't actually exercise in their $300+ sneakers, I sure know I don't. I like 'fashion sneakers' a lot (especially HL's :heart:), and I'm curious to see what McQueen does with this, as I do like what he does in clothing... the translation should be interesting.

I do hope that they'll be made with better construction than the Puma Platinum line (been there, done that).

I would hazard to guess that most people who buy y3 or say, puma platinum, don't actually exercise in their $300+ sneakers, I sure know I don't. I like 'fashion sneakers' a lot (especially HL's :heart:), and I'm curious to see what McQueen does with this, as I do like what he does in clothing... the translation should be interesting.

I need to work on my logic...

DUH! Of course nobody would exercise in $300 sneakers...I wouldn't either... Thanks for clearing that up... :P

What?!?!?!?! This is going to suck big time. I hate Puma. :lol:

OMG!!! My two favorite things put together. McQueen and Puma! There had better be menswear!

Meg said:
yes, a large brand like puma translates into money but it's a basic form of selling out. if he was going to do this, he could at least choose a company that fit in with his brand.

I so agree, I miss you around Meg^_^

I think it only worked so well with Yhoji becuase it was a fresh idea.

I won't emit any opinion until I see a pic, I'm only going to say that this is the most high chance of getting me to like a pair of sneakers!

it really is quite a strange pairing but that doesn't mean that it wont translate into a wonderful new direction for puma with mcqueen at the helm. im actually quite excited to see if the result will be as effective as adidas and Yamamoto.

McQueen and PUMA?

Well... #1 I hate PUMA ..it was cool, but they opened a store on a very important mall and now EVERYONE wears it which is like ... well, you know what I mean.

The cool thing's I think I'll be finally able to afford and wear McQueen!

PS My bets go for some asian-inspired theme .. like on SS'04 with the tattoos, prints. (on the FB helmet and protector)

but they opened a store on a very important mall and now EVERYONE wears it which is like ... well, you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. The McQueen/PUMA collaberation may take away from the whole fact that this is designer wear. Everyone will be rushing out to go get it, which, at least to me, takes away from the whole effect of something desinger...

em 692 said:
I know exactly what you mean. The McQueen/PUMA collaberation may take away from the whole fact that this is designer wear. Everyone will be rushing out to go get it, which, at least to me, takes away from the whole effect of something desinger...

yes, but you forget that most people could never afford mcqueen to begin with, so i see only good coming from this. it not so much his 'designer' status which would prompt me to buy this, but the fact he is a really gifted man who is able to design for the masses: it should be that way no? i have no problem w/ all this designer athletic wear so much as it actually delivers a well rounded product. if feel like the company is well established enough it's risk free in the sense it better to have gone far out on a limb and think big then to remain dull and uninspired, so this is very positive. i'd like to see the end of the hierarchy of designer wear crumble as fast as possible...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, but you forget that most people could never afford mcqueen to begin with, so i see only good coming from this. it not so much his 'designer' status which would prompt me to buy this, but the fact he is a really gifted man who is able to design for the masses: it should be that way no?

The fact he is designing afforably (so people like me can buy it) is good. But if he is designing for the mass market, will he be able to keep his special designer touch? Or will he be pressured to design something that will appeal to more people and sacrifice a signiture style of his? Will he risk being bland in order to make money? If he can make a sports shoe that will keep his essence, then fine. But if not, I must scream SELL OUT.

athletic wear/ shoes is one super hard thing to design because it has to meet as sorts of criteria, it is forced to do what all clothes should do, but do not, enhance your body in all ways that are functional. i think it's a great honor for anyone for be able to tackle this, and within these constraints i'm sure he'll retain his signature look, but no question about it: it will be assimilated into a puma shoe. i think its very exciting to see how a crazy, abstract brillant mind will figure out this problem, and hopefully in the process he'll inject the panther with a subversive edge..

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a REALLY weird collabo, I've never on earth would have imaginated that..... :blink:

travolta said:
yes, but you forget that most people could never afford mcqueen to begin with, so i see only good coming from this. ...

exactly my problem.. excuses for sounding elitistic here, but whats the use ??
i'm one of those people who couldnt normally afford a McQueen, but why should i ever go and buy the 'affordable' mcQueen sneakers when they certainly not be a part of those lines where the designer normally expresses his esthetic approach?

the 'i'll get a mcQueen/Stella/Yohji pair of sneakers just cause i cant afford their other stuff' god, makes me sad.. too victimised honestly

if the sneakers are cool, i'd buy and try to hide they are by McQueen, cause i'm sad for this latest collabo of his.. just my 2 eurocents of course :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blacksun
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->