Met Costume Institute Gala 2019 : Camp: Notes on Fashion

Indya Moore:

Lily Aldridge:

Lilly Singh:

Violet Chachki:

So many good looks. Not a fan of Kim's style but that dress is GORGEOUS.

Where is Blake Lively?

I can’t believe that Kim Kardashian teased us the concept of her dress since her recent Vogue cover. And it makes sense a lot.

Wow, one of the most entertaining and fun MET galas in some years! And the majority are either on point, or tried.

My favourites so far are Violet Chakhi! I've no idea who she is, but I'm living for that fairytale villain look. Camp doesn't necessarily have to be sheeny pink.
Laverne Cox looked fashion-forward, beautiful, evil and sexy at the same time. A rare feat!
And of course Joan Collins would get it right without trying, it's what made her a star! She was probably the most authentic campiest person on this red carpet.
Janelle Monae didn't come to play! And Siriano designing that look is one of the biggest shockers of the evening.
The Kardashian/Jenner's all won - Kim's look actually reminds me of her cover, which I'm sure was modeled after this look
Lizzo, that wig is too much, but she is too much! Would've liked her to go full-on Divine.
Elle Fanning and Hailee Steinfeld also got it right. I really like that their looks reflect their age and personality too!
Ciara, who was clever enough to amp it up with that hair and makeup because without it everything may have looked very VS model attending random red carpet.
Katty Perry! @Yohji , you're saying that after all that craziness, the dress, the chandelier...that you don't like the shoes? LOL. I love it.
Donatella Versace, AKA Real Housewife of Uzbekistan.
Not sure why, but I also liked Serena's 80s dress, lol.
Bette Midler and Sophie, one of the few whose pose actually matched the looks.
I know many will think Jennifer Lopez to be a bit understated, but I'm liking her getup.
Natasha Lyonne, Lena and Jemima - nothing overly theatrical, yet still very effective!
Mindy Kaling. She took a chance, it didn't work imo, but it's better than another mermaid dress and sideswept hair.
And while I don't think Pom Klementieff was particularly camp, I loved her look to bits! It's just her attitude.

I'm really disappointed in Nicki, Solange, Paloma and Ru Paul. Definitely expected more. But maybe he knew queens like Hamish will go overboard and deliberately went the opposite direction. Halsey's hair, makeup and accessories scream Xena the Warrior Princess, but then the dress. I'm confused.

Then there are some questionable looks! Why does Tessa Thompson look like the creepy zombie girl in Scary Movie 3? Rita Ora looks a pillock 90% of all times, and the one time when the theme is seemingly up her street she still can't get it right, Constance Wu - lost cause. Zendaya, DVF, Dakota Johnson, Cara, Ashley Graham???? :wacko:

As usual, there would be ones who either didn't get the memo (Gisele, Sienna, Goop), just didn't have the wit to even try, or as always couldn't resist being 'the prettiest' (Rosie, All-American Hailey Bieber and Taylor Hill) or 'hottest' girl on the red carpet (Naomi, Fran Summers, Emily Ratjakowski sexing it up as usual.) Caroline Trentini who tried but failed horribly, the Saint Laurent and LV squad consistently treat this red carpet like business (except, I must say Amber in that cape)

The guys? Ezra Miller an Ashton Sanders!!! Obviously, they got it right, obviously! And of course Billy Porter had to one-up everyone by being carried in like Cleopatra, lol. I instantly liked Tommy's look as well. Jared Leto and Benedict Cumbermatch both looked great and on-theme, I say this begrudgingly as I can't stand either. Cole Sprouse's look wasn't to my taste, but I liked how he's outposing the woman next to him. Sometimes confidence is enough - an adage which should be sent to Harry Styles, who looked like he was there against his will.
Some should've just stayed home! Frank Ocean and Liam Hemsworth looked bored (or trying to be cute?), Rami Malek, Taron, Richard Madden (who, like the 'cute' girls, just went there to look hot), and 21 Savage wearing the Walmart version of Justin Bieber's China outfit.

Most awkward photo of the evening, Danai Gurira and Gabriela Hearst! :shock: And why does Hari Nef always look so depressed?

Keen to see what @eugenius , our resident expert in camp, make of all this.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
The only good ones are Anna Wintour, Violet, Aquaria, Kim K, Ezra and Lady Gaga.
And that is because they are themselves are camp. I mean, Lady Gaga’s whole career exploded due to that, of course she delivered. Anna Wintour is very subtle, but still unusual for her, she looks fabulous and not like a clown.
The rest are try-hards or boring.

I have to give an ovation to every one who actually tried to follow the theme, succeeding in it or not.

I'm so tired of those who go to the Met Gala just to look pretty and are not even trying or are there just to sell the clothes and the brand (I see you Louis Vuitton...). GO BIG OR GO HOME, it's a fricking Met Gala for God's sake. :hardhead:

For me, Katy Perry was the one who won the night. She is always the one to follow the theme and she always makes me gasp with her looks. Also, the hamburger... I just love how she doesn't take herself too seriously which is quite a hard thing to do in today's world of "perfection". :flower:

Despite not liking Kim's reputation lately, I think she slayed that Thierry Mugler dress and those diamonds looked as if water was dripping down on her... simply mesmerising.
Cardi B, on the other hand, left me a little cold. I was having so high expectations after last year's stunning Moschino ensemble that this one just didn't make me say wow... but it was a beautiful dress, indeed.

Also, I saw a lot of people representing the LGBTQIA+ community on the gala and I just love that our community is finally getting the recognition it deserves especially when it's such a powerful force in fashion. The divine entrance of Billy Porter was a huge moment, especially, for the community.
Kudos to Anna and whoever planned the guest list.

Last edited:
Anyone else love Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse’s looks as a couple? Very Renaissance camp which I adore, and how happy they look to be there.

And EZRA MILLER wow, love the corset cage thing!!

Lol at Georgina Chapman trying to sell us her tacky Marchesa as camp.

She wasn't the only one who couldn't distinguish tacky from camp though, and half of them couldn't be bothered to at least read the Wikipedia article on camp, but overall, I think it was one of the most entertaining galas in a long time with some surprisingly good outfits. Ezra Miller is my favorite.

Way too much Gucci (poor man's camp) on that carpet though, also, I don't think anybody in Chanel really got it right, and I wonder why everybody here seems to think Kendall's outfit is okay, it's Carnival in Rio at its worst.

Overall it wasn't a bad night. Much better than the previous years imo.
Also, LOL at the fact that Khloe and Kourtney are never invited. Anna is so mean :rofl:

Best Dressed (in no particular order:(

- Ms. Wintour
- Billy Porter
- Florence Welch
- Saorise Ronan
- Baz Luhrmann and his wife
- Gigi
- Elle Fanning
- Lena Dunham and Jemima Kirk in Christoper Kane (never though i'd say this)
- Katy Perry
- Dua Lipa (preferred her look to Lily Collin's)
- Tracey Ellis Ross
- Ezra Miller obvs
- Kacey Musgraves
- Carey Mulligan and Lucy Boynton in Prada
- Ashton Sanders

Special Mention to Solange: Loved her look...just not for the met gala.

Worst Dressed:
- Taron Egerton, Shawn Mendes and every guy who wore a boring suit. Pathetic.
- Constance Wu. Merchesa needs to go away :sick:
- Halsey. Trashy and cheap and not in a good way.
- Rosie, Hailey, Gisele, Karlie, Emily and other models who were mode concerned about looking pretty :rolleyes:
- Gwyneth of course.
- Sarah Paulson.
- The entire LV crew.
- The Saint Laurent crew apart from Amber.
- Kristen Stewart and Penelope Cruz in Chanel. This one actually pissed me off. They had so many amazing archival couture pieces they could've chosen.

I mean, Lady Gaga’s whole career exploded due to that, of course she delivered.

I don't know what to make of Lady Gaga's look. Personally, it felt it was very deja vu and the half-naked look and campy poses reminded me too much of Fame Monster-era Gaga - the one who walked the streets drinking tea our of precious china. But a friend of mine who just so happens to be a very ardent Little Monster couldnt stop gushing. Her fans seem very happy to have her 'back' after this serious actress ploy she's been playing at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->