MET Costume Institute Gala 2024 : Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion

The carpet:

z7PogjdO_o.png

Source: twitter.com/23metgala

If there’s one dress I think I’m tired of seeing, it’s the Junon…
Beautiful carpet! Probably their best ever

I made a first attempt to see this over the weekend because I was in the area and it was madness, I got a 4-hour estimate wait time so.. no thanks lol. I stopped by today and only waited around 20 minutes.

It's been years since I went to one of these exhibitions and I don't know if my mind is foggy or what but it felt a bit.. too dumbed down?, and vague.. as if the theme was ✨ruffles✨and let's take it from there. The smells and sounds.. very Natural History and almost children-oriented. Also felt like it could have been more varied.. too much McQueen, thought there was a Theyskens somewhere and couldn't find it, plenty of pre-20th century pieces but with strictly technical information only (no context whatsoever), and I am genuinely curious on what was the purpose of adding an H&M dress.. I understand wanting to comprehend time and lifestyles but you might as well feature Shein or a Hawaiian shirt because they have their place in popular culture, or peasant attire from the 17th century and not just what the rich wore. Odd move. Also seeing some Maria Grazia's work squeezed in between two Dior gowns from the 50s like 'look, practically the same, just more modern!'.. you're not the help she needs!.

I wsa admittedly impressed these four (Dries, Jean Dessès, Loewe and Iris Van Herpen)

That Dessès could very easily pass as late 80s Yohji.. but, early 1950s, crazy! and so intense in person. That Loewe dress is a trip, I couldn't care less about Jonathan's work but that's a such a nice way to open the exhibition.

^^^ I’d imagine plenty of booked school trips for this: The dumbing down is intentional, just look at the guests—hell, just look at all the once great houses reduced to outlet basics. The Desses design is eternally gorgeous (tho I could do without the knotted detail on the skirt) — but only on a 5’11”/size 2 frame. Or, a thousand years from now, some 6’7”/size 0 alien would look just as effortlessly gorgeous in it (…while humans will all resemble Jabba by then…).

just look at all the once great houses reduced to outlet basics.
and can I insist on... H...&....M..💀🏚🔊

@TomBlanksFullFatMiuMiu I flipped through that.. I wouldn't buy it personally, there's nothing in it that interests me or that feels like I cannot learn it from one of my daily trips around the internet. The quality is very nice of course, and that Undercover piece on the cover of something major feels like it doesn't get better for Jun as a designer (and I love Jun!), but I hate buying books just for their look (coffee table fashion books are so not my thing and I don't buy fashion magazines either).. and certainly not for $75, I might just print out the picture I took if it's that important to look at it around my living space haha! That dress is so dreamy and fun and photogenic in every type of lighting btw 🤍.. and it's placed in such a wrong spot, zero momentum or enough space to back up and appreciate it.

^^^ So obnoxiously saccharine LOL Can’t imagine you’d ever wear what is essentially a walking bouquet— maybe even doing that annoying Gwendoline Christie-at-Margiela Snow White walk while you’re wearing it. (I’d be tempted to push you into the street…LMFAO)

^ it is next to H&M, the fugly Altuzarras and all the other NYFW junk Wintour/Bolton dumped in. I've always found Jun's work... moderately violent, on varying degrees, he tones it down to a level that is almost imperceptible some seasons but it's always there, even when he's doing romanticism. If you know that dress is from the man whose idea of 'florals for Spring' looks like exposed organs and skeletons...

undercover-spring-2005-ready-to-wear-details-00640h-ingerid-maske.jpgundercover-spring-2005-ready-to-wear-details-00710h.jpgundercover-spring-2005-ready-to-wear-details-00580h.jpg

which was followed by this lol..
6a00d8341c76e453ef00e54f686e308834-800wi.jpg
[diane pernet/vogue]

.. then, I don't know, with enough effort you can see that dress can also be for something you don't really want to know about 😂 .. think the annual Aum Shinrikyo convention where someone may or may not be heinously sacrificed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->