Relocating? ... Housing, Rentals, Apartments, Flats & Roomates

My next move:: PARIS!!! I'm planning to move there next year! What are some good spots to live in for a student like me?

I'm SOOO jealous...I'm so proud of being a Parisienne and I can't wait to live there again! Here's a map of the arrondissements (districts/neighborhoods).

parismap_new.gif

If you're not a millionaire you should pretty much avoid living on the west side (8th, 15th, 16th, 17th)...there you can find the champs elysées but it is REALLY boring at night!:doh:
Also avoid the 12th & 13th (Chinatown...Booooring!)

You need to look around these neighborhoods (it's cheaper and you can find all the cheap hip restaurants at night!:(

1st & 2nd - Les Halles
6th - Latin Quarters (WHERE I WAS BORN!!! :(woot:
14th - Montparnasse
18th & 20th - Montmartre & Nation/Republique (montmartre is the historic neighborhood where all the artists set up on the weekends! I love it!!!)

Oh yeah...the 4th (Le Marais) turned into the gay neighborhood over the recent years. Just FYI...:D

Isn't the 6th (St. Germain/The Latin Quarter) where the Sorbonne is? Or is it some other school?

I do know that this arrondissement on the left bank is loaded with students so it would be a great place to be. It's a short walk to so many places along the Seine ... the museums, the gardens and it's loaded with cafes, shops and brasseries, too. You have quick access to the Metro and the trains ... so you can get everywhere in Pairs, quickly and inexpensively.

I would say Craigslist is great if you are in the US but I found personally that it is less used in the UK and Europe. Maybe certain countries in Europe use it but it's not big at all and i've always had to explain to people what it is.

For me before I move anywhere, the most important thing to figure out is visa's. Though it seems glamorous one cannot just get up and move to another country. If you are studying as a full time student then it is fairly easy to move to another country but intl. student fees are usually quite high. You could theoretically enter on a tourist visa and then try and find work but it depends on the climate. There are crackdowns in a lot of countries and they won't want to hire an illegal. It is NOT easy in my opinion. It's takes time and hard work and contacts.

Isn't the 6th (St. Germain/The Latin Quarter) where the Sorbonne is? Or is it some other school?

Yep.... that's it! My best friend goes to that school. It' mostly known as a reputable law/philiosophy/language school.

^^^ Thank you so much for that info!! Tell me, which is the Left Bank, I always get confused...

It's considered the side of the river that the 6th is on ... so just look at the map. But I don't know if that refers to the entire length of the river or not ...

Last edited by a moderator:
when i moved down to london for my placement i used www.gumtree.com to find a flat its good for just rooms or houses alot of places are listed on here.

I only needed three months though it was good for that.

and so far im enjoying london ^_^

It's considered the side of the river that the 6th is on ... so just look at the map. But I don't know if that refers to the entire length of the river or not ...

Thanks! I've always been confused which was which. It'd be so much better if it was North Bank and South Bank! :lol:

relocating to paris. in september. for school. ideas. how to find a french room mate? to practice the language

relocating to ny in a couple weeks. looking for a sublet in brooklyn, please pm me with any leads!

thanks!

I am 17 years old (am a junior in high school) and will be interning in the fashion department of a Hearst magazine this summer in New York City.

I am extremely stumped about housing though -- are there places that allow 17 year old girls to stay? I was thinking about the NYU dorms but they close summer housing on August 4th and my internship will not be over by then (it's for school-credit). Thanks so much! I already asked Webster Apartments (a working women's place) but you have to be at least 18. I don't have any relations or friends in NYC, unfortunately.

I am 17 years old (am a junior in high school) and will be interning in the fashion department of a Hearst magazine this summer in New York City.

I am extremely stumped about housing though -- are there places that allow 17 year old girls to stay? I was thinking about the NYU dorms but they close summer housing on August 4th and my internship will not be over by then (it's for school-credit). Thanks so much! I already asked Webster Apartments (a working women's place) but you have to be at least 18. I don't have any relations or friends in NYC, unfortunately.

I'm guessing you don't live in the NYC metro area so...
Have you tried Craigslist.org and look for temp housing on there?
When do you start your internship?

sanita13, no I haven't -- are minors allowed to lease sublets and such though from craigslist.com?
I will be interning from mid-June to mid-August.

I can only assume that all housing will require that you be 18 or accompanied by a parent/guardian ... because of the liability they would face if something happend to you.

I think that you are on the right track ... attempting to find a safe place to stay and that should be your first concern.

Be extremely cautious of any situation where you are not 100% sure that you are in a protected environment ... NY is a tough city (well, anywhere can be dangerous). Be aware that predators will "advertise" on line, in the paper ... to attrace young women (or young guys, for that matter) .... and you could possibly put yourself in a very dangerous situation.

I wish I knew of someplace but I think most of those types of places do require that you be of legal age ... 18. You might try youth hostels ... at least you would be in a dorm situation and there's more safety in numbers.

I think at your age it might be easier to be in the city to organise rather than trying to do it all online. I'm at Webster now and actually for some reason I thought they allowed you to stay if you were under 18 but had written consent from your parent/guardian or something like that. There are some other student housing available in the summer I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cicciolina, I called and faxed the Webster a letter and when they got back to me they told me they couldn't accept me because I'll only be 17 1/2 :[. I suppose I will look for other student housing programs then!

I think the brandon is the best because it's all women, safe, great location, and cheap for short-term residence.

I haven't called the Brandon yet (I've been in classes until odd hours) but I called the Webster last August (2007) when I first heard of it and they were full then for this coming summer. At least that's what they said. Maybe someone has dropped out?

Hi everyone, I'm planning on moving to nyc this fall to pursue my dreams and also to move my label from Atlanta. Anyone have any tips on areas to live in the city ? I'm looking mainly for a studio where I can just relax and design, but in a nice area. Any ideas ? Thanks!

Ciao

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->