Relocating? ... Housing, Rentals, Apartments, Flats & Roomates

Hi,
I am a fashion student in Cincinnati and I'll be interning in NYC this summer. I've been looking on Craigslist and everywhere on the internet and it's been hard finding a summer sublet from June-Sept that isn't either really gross/a scam or wayyyy too expensive. I was wondering if anyone had information/advice for me?

I'm a 20 year old fashion student who is a non-smoker and I'll be working in the Empire State bldg, but I'll pretty much live in any area. I would really appreciate any advice. I am not leaving school til the middle of June, so I have a little bit of time left but I'm getting really stressed out about finding a place...

Thanks!!!

i've been looking at craiglists too,
a few have caught my eye, but they are looking for females only...
i guess i can understand them wanting to live with the same sex, i wouldn't mind either way. i'm looking for something around $800 a month.
definitely nothing over $1000, couldn't afford it, and i think something under $600 would be kind of :unsure:

have you seen the ones were they (guy)
asks for a submissive female who wants to live with him for free
as long as they get along, keep him entertained, cooks for him, keeps the place clean, and knows her place. not uptight!

he says!
I have found a couple of those, they always make me laugh.
i don't know if they are serious or not, but i wouldn't be surprised.

Can anyone enlighten me on housing in Brooklyn? What are the safer areas and which are the areas to avoid? I know Williamsburg, and not much else...:lol:

Meg: Do you know where one could find info about the nice, lesser known, areas of London that you speak of? :P I'm moving next year and I am looking into living somewhere less central but still convenient and safe. But then, maybe paying for transport would make it as expensive as living in zone 1..

Zone 1 is a no no. So expensive that anyone who doesn't have a high income should erase it out of their memory. Zone 2 makes the best choice for anyone who want to pay a high premium on housing while still living close to all the action. I live in zone 2 and can get to Oxford Street in a mere 20-25 minutes.

Living too far out in London won't necessarily make it cheaper. The difference in rent between living in Zone 2 and zone 3 isn't as big as you would think, you might save a few coins on rent but in the end you will have to buy a travel card covering an additional Zone making the travel expenses quite high. So sometimes it's pay off to live near the center, because then you have to spend less on transportation, and transportation here is incrediablly expensive.

I have lived in London more a barely 4 months. House hunting was a nightmare I never want to reoccur. Prices were high as a helicoper with the standard of living incredibally low, two extremes you don't want to deal with at once. So if you get there it's quite good to spare 2 weeks or so tyring to find the ideal place. A degree of patient is high important since it's also quite competative with housing here. Despite the high prices, landlords don't have any problems finding tentants so you have to very quick I discovered.

NYC Sublets

Yeah I've seen those..haha.
That's my price range too. I don't care where I live really, but I need to find a place ASAP. I'm getting really stressed about it...

i had to post this one

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/roo/716669074.html

i've seen plenty of the other ones, but this is the first time i've seen one that would be more oriented for a man.:brows:

don't know, maybe i should go for it...what's the worse that could happen.
probably disappear and you guys will never hear from me again.:lol:

i'll be moving to NYC on July 5, if anyone else is making the move soon, maybe we can hang out and explore the city together, just a thought:flower:

ciao

ah thanks olive, I had no idea they changed since I don't buy only zone 1 and haven't been back to London for a couple months. I really agree that "real" london happens outside of zone 1, and that's why I moved from Marylebone to SE London. That and the rent of course.

So... hubby and I were pretty sure we were going to be moving to Tokyo in spring next year. Suddenly another option has popped up, meaning we could well be moving to Nice, France in the autumn for a year and then moving to Tokyo. We like this idea since it means avoiding another winter in Canada. :lol: Anybody know a good site to find one- and two-bedroom flats in Nice?

Anyone want to share an apartment in Hong Kong Island send me a message.

Advice! Moving to barcelona.

I´m moving to Barcelona next year and I want to share an apartment there. I need a lot of advice.

What neighbourhoods should I avoid? What things should I take into account when looking for a roommate?

I am an english language teacher and a communications gratuate. Is it so difficult to find a job. What is the average salary for an english teacher?

Well, anything you can tell me will be very helpfull!!!

brave girl! go you! i love moving, change is good.
trust your intuition when first meeting people. trust your gut.
importantly, find out about their lifestyle, as in if they party all night, sleep all day.
it has to match up.
and find out if yall are simliar in cleanliness.
if you're messy, find someone who's definetely not anally clean.
living with someone you dont know i've always found is a bit tricky.

humor, my friend moved to Barcelona 2 yrs ago, but she's staying in a small town near barcelona (something like 20 mins away) because the rent is cheaper..she pays something like 600 euros for a flat with 3 bedrooms

I found a studio in london near russell square for 453p a week. Me and my bf are planning to stay for 6 to 8 weeks so we'll share the rent.I've looked up gumtree but there's nothing better and most of the university residence halls are already booked!
What do you think?

have you looked in east london? for that price, sharing with your boyfriend, you can get an amazing one bedroom flat in the middle of shoreditch .i know that cos a friend of mine got one right next to shoreditch church - as central as it gets in terms of east london - and she's paying 350 + bills. the flat is AMAZING, wood floors, she's the first person moving in, etc

humor, my friend moved to Barcelona 2 yrs ago, but she's staying in a small town near barcelona (something like 20 mins away) because the rent is cheaper..she pays something like 600 euros for a flat with 3 bedrooms

Oh, thanks a lot. Does she share the flat or does she live alone?

Does she like living in Barcelona?

Last edited by a moderator:
She shares the flat with a couple and another girl!She has a single room so she pays about 200euros.
She loves living there!

eurasian melange - I imagine the best flat hunting in nice is done on foot and not online. Maybe see if you can contact a couple of estate agents in the area and give them your brief and get them to email you things?

I never understood these magical flats in the east end that people say are cheap. Yeah it's not the poshest area in town, but it's still highly desirable, which pushes rent prices up. To get cheap rent out there from what I've found is that you're usually in some really crap bit and not in the nicer central bit. But of course, like everywhere, there are deals to be found.

i had to post this one

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/roo/716669074.html

i've seen plenty of the other ones, but this is the first time i've seen one that would be more oriented for a man.:brows:

don't know, maybe i should go for it...what's the worse that could happen.
probably disappear and you guys will never hear from me again.:lol:

i'll be moving to NYC on July 5, if anyone else is making the move soon, maybe we can hang out and explore the city together, just a thought:flower:

ciao
I missed it! What happened?
Had this been this time next year Id so join you! I want to go to NYC once I finish my GE's

what happened is i got scared to go through with it. I was afraid i would show up and they'd take me to a back room, know me out, and take out my organs. :( I've been watching to many movies, but yeah....
Good luck with your GE...what's a GE?

back on topic, I STILL DON'T HAVE A PLACE.

everyone wants to do a meet and greet beforehand
they want proof of income
references

I can understand the first one, but i need to secure a place before i get there. Proof of income, well, i've been out of the country a lot, so i haven't been working...consistently that is. Plus, i'm moving to NYC to start a career. References...none. I have more than enough money to pay, i'm rather good at saving, so i can pay for first month's rent and security deposit upfront, cash. i thought this would have been easier....:lol:

i'll probably sublet a place for a month or two, while i secure a job (proof of income) get a good reference from my host, and do the whole meet and greet since i'm already there.

im a fashion student and id love to move to paris or ny after school, ive already moved from a small town to a bigger city for school, so im not afraid but excited about this kind of change. but i dont know, its like starting from zero, its not like i have a super company here but the idea of starting at the very bottom in a city where most fashion designers live like paris or the most interesting streetstyle is like ny makes me not wanna move there that soon. id love to move to london tho, its not the fashion capital of the world but ive always had a thing for brits

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->