System Issue #1 : Nicolas Ghesquière by Juergen Teller

Luxx

oh me, oh my
Reaction score
A new twice yearly magazine. Will feature his first post-Balenciaga in depth interview.

System team includes Jonathan Wingfield, Alexia Niedzielski, Elizabeth von Guttman, Thomal Lenthal and Marie-Amélie Sauvé.

zsu39h.jpg

Image Credit | New York Times

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an article on the magazine on the NYT today as well.

Let’s Make a Magazine
by Eric Wilson

Their latest project, set to make its debut in May, is a deep-thoughts magazine about the fashion industry, called System. The mission is to explore the milieu of fashion, like what happens when a star designer leaves a house, or when an e-commerce site overtakes a traditional retailer, more so than its products. (They originally wanted to call the publication Circus but thought otherwise.)

The magazine, which will appear twice a year and has a $100,000 per issue budget pooled from consulting projects done by von Guttman and Niedzielski, is already rousing the ire of big publishing. Especially when the team lands gets like their inaugural cover: the first in-depth interview with Nicolas Ghesquière, the designer who shocked all of fashion last fall when he left Balenciaga. The issue also includes profiles on Yves Carcelle, the business executive who steered the phenomenal growth of Louis Vuitton, and Azzedine Alaïa written by the curator Hans-Ulrich Obrist, as well as photo portfolios by Patrick Demarchelier, Juergen Teller, Karim Sadli and Neville Wakefield. A testament to System’s potential, Sauvé’s involvement has been a particular point of contention with the top brass at Condé Nast, where she is also senior fashion editor at W magazine. Von Guttman and Niedzielski have negotiated the stylist’s continued involvement in their independent venture, but the talks, they say, have required real diplomacy. After all, Niedzielski says, “We want to publish a second issue.” Stay tuned.

Full article

Looks like an interesting magazine! I hope it's quite different than Industrie..
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm excited for this magazine (the cover story alone is enough for me), but what differentiates it from Industrie? They both seem to have the similar goals, staff (Niedzielski, Guttman). If you slapped Industrie on that cover I wouldn't question it for a second.

Looks quite promising so far...but I'm always on for Nicolas and Teller. From the article Luxx psoted it sounded like Conde wasn't to happy with MAS' involvement in this. Anyway, can't wait to see what's inside.

I'm here for this. So it's going to be US based?

Hopefully not too expensive. Really, really intrigued to see all the content from this issue, esp with NG and MAS involved.

Ohhh can't wait for his interview.

can't wait.
can't say i love the art direction on the cover sadly though.

So wait, is this part of Condé Nast's Now Manifest network? I wonder why von Guttman and Niedzielski feel the need for a separate project since they've already taken the same direction and content for Industrie. Anyway, looking forward to Nicolas' interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm excited for this magazine (the cover story alone is enough for me), but what differentiates it from Industrie? They both seem to have the similar goals, staff (Niedzielski, Guttman). If you slapped Industrie on that cover I wouldn't question it for a second.

though excited, i agree with your point. like, why not just put nicholas on the cover of industrie?

Condé Nast(ee) strike again :rolleyes:

An article on Page 50 this weekend about System, a new magazine about the fashion industry, includes outdated information about its plans. After the article had gone to press, a representative from System announced that the stylist Marie-Amélie Sauvé, who worked on the first issue, will not be a member of System’s editorial board as previously announced. And a picture portfolio by Neville Wakefield planned for the first issue will be published in a later issue.
nytimes.com

Big shame, especially since she doesn't work that often @ W, but given the recent CR Book controversy I'm not surprised by this move.

Got it today at Colette , Nicolas Ghesquière interview is definitely a must-read ! It's actually more centered on the reasons of his departure ( it says a lot about his situation at Balenciaga and the way things seems to be handled at PPR ) and his vision of the fashion world. Yet you can definitely feel that he should be launching his own brand in the near future. The interview is really great, long and Marie-Amélie was actually interviewed with him but I'm not really fan of the editorial, it's just series of picures of Nicolas in his office. There's also an archive ed with portraits of some of his muses from Liya to Gaia Repossi passing by Delfine Balfort or Grace Coddington

Didn't finish reading the whole issue but overall it seems pretty good, there's articles by Derek Blasberg and Miroslava Duma, Alaia's interview is fantastic as always. One thing I really love is the quality of the paper which is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HigthaVandah
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->