Ten ways to exude sense and sensuality -Fall 2008

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Ten ways to exude sense and sensuality

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 20/08/2008

Designers have taken the economic climate to heart, and grown-up, functional - but certainly not dull - clothes are the inspiring result, says Sarah Mower

I always find there's something bracing about the arrival of a little austerity in fashion. It's good for reductionists, the sensible and the grown-up - all of which I admit to being, at the risk of sounding dull. But ha! This autumn, we're anything but.
mower1.jpg

P is for: Peacoats, which were shown on the a/w catwalks of Bottega VenetaThe season we're contemplating looks like a veritable field day for those of us who don't regard "classic" as a synonym for boring; who like to change our appearances in small yet wickedly effective increments; and who enjoy nothing more than focusing on sharp, economical purchases while ignoring all nonsense trends strewn in our paths.
This, in other words, is the season that will sort the women from the girls.
It's a pity that it's taken such a terrible dive in the economy to lasso most designers back from their stampede into frivolity and force them to produce more useful, serious content. But having to imagine what would appeal this season while we were back in the first twinges of the sub-prime crisis has done them the power of good.
So what we're seeing on the rails now is measured, grown-up, curvaceous, functionally considered design - with the odd invigorating flash of something different. Which is what proves a designer's worth in the first place, I'd say.

That tiny "now" imperative - the slit of the skirt just so, the height of the boot, the way to wear the hair or carry the bag - is, of course, what keeps us entranced with fashion, rather than mere clothes. And this season, those details carry real weight - so it makes sense to do a bit of homework before rushing to purchase.
You might just have the damn thing in your wardrobe or jewellery box already. Or you could make something look right with just the smallest tweak - thus concentrating your money on a couple of really new, ideally multipurpose possessions that will lift your whole look.

P IS FOR…
Studying autumn's looks requires learning - or re-learning - some fashion terms; many of which happen to begin with a P.
Parure: a jewellery set comprised of a matching necklace and cuffs - the perfect thing to spark up a plain dress or top. But never with earrings.
Pointy stilettos: these are what make curvy dresses look new. And they're an elegant step away from the recent stompin' orthopaedics.
Pencil skirts: a critical drop in the hemline to two inches below the knee has taken place; a crucial difference to last year's thigh-flashing skirts and dresses. You can wear boots with this look, but the pointy shoe tweaks the hip-hugging narrow skirt (perhaps part of a dress) to a stunningly sexy Fifties silhouette.
Peacoats: these double-breasted jackets are timeless, transitional pieces to wear through the seasons. They complement the new, long-line dresses and wide or skinny trousers, and they do casual with jeans.
Peg-tops: these pleat-front trousers are at their most extreme in the Eighties', banana-shaped versions. In others, they are simple slouch pants.
Peplum: a panel that juts out at the hip on a nipped-waist jacket or dress. The doublet-like detail of the jacket is part of the cool goth sub-theme; on a dress, it becomes a minimal "pannier" (a side hoop).

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
p1.jpg

Designers have taken the economic climate to heart, and grown-up, functional – but certainly not dull – clothes are the inspiring result, says Sarah Mower

1 Find a sculptural dress

Fashion has rediscovered the little black dress and its versatility. Some are stark and modern, others catch the curvy Fifties vibe. Make sure it hits below the knee. Designer: wool Anvers dress (on model), £1,225, RM by Roland Mouret, at Net-a-Porter.com. High street (inset:( black polyester/viscose dress, £85, French Connection; 0844 557 3285

p2.jpg

2 Try on a peacoat

Of all the “conceptual” coats on offer, this hip-length item is perfect in both proportion and practicality (see P is for… Peacoat). Designer: black cashmere coat, £1,225, by Bottega Veneta; 020 7629 5598. High street: beige wool coat, £195, Whistles; 0870 7704301, whistles.co.uk

p3.jpg

3 Bring back the blouse

In a sober, clean-lined season, this is the froth — but practical with it, as a frilly shirt works as office and eveningwear. Notice how “new” long sleeves look: covered arms appear sexier now. Designer: cream silk blouse, £999, by Lanvin, Harrods; 020 7730 1234. High street: cream blouse, £45, Warehouse; 0870 122 8813, warehouse.co.uk

p4.jpg

4 Discover the new trouser shapes

There are pegs (see P is for… Peg tops), bootleg flares, and ultra-skinny legging-like trousers this season. They may all look horrible at first sight — but you never know, so try them on. Designer: grey wool peg trousers, £645, by Yves Saint Laurent; ysl.com, 020 7235 6706. High street: black cotton pegs, £35, Gap; 0800 427 789

p5.jpg

5 Go a bit Goth — but with care

It could involve some of the ubiquitous dark lace, a touch of punkish knitting, or very dark lipstick. Best to hold back on investing in too much lace, though — it has the hallmark of a flash-in-the-pan fad. Designer: black dress, £1,595, Prada; 020 7646 5000. High street: black camisole, £45, Warehouse; 0870 122 8813, warehouse.co.uk

p6.jpg

6 Slip on some shine

There’s sober, and then there’s morose, so to perk life up there’s space in the wardrobe for a sequin jacket, cardigan, waistcoat or T-shirt. Bring it out for day, even. Designer: white leather blazer, from £21,500, Balmain; balmain.com. High street: waistcoat, £140, All Saints; 0870 458 3736, allsaints.co.uk

p7.jpg

7 Bejewel yourself

The bigger, the better — though not necessarily all at once (see P is for… Parure). Designer: crystal necklace, £1,580, by Nicolas Ghesquière for Balenciaga; 020 7317 4400. High street: diamanté necklace, £178, Butler and Wilson; 020 7409 2955, butlerandwilson.com

p8.jpg

8 Clutch your possessions

Designers have produced roomier clutch bags, which makes them viable daytime-options that won’t ruin the line of your jacket or dress. Which is exactly why you’d want one. Designer: mustard leather clutch, from £550, Dior; 020 7172 0172. High street: grey clutch, £227, Sara Berman, at my-wardrobe.com

p9.jpg

9 Re-boot

A fantastic pair of boots might be the one mad buy to allow yourself — they make everything else look fresh. You just need to decide on a decorative shoe-boot, a wildly fringed high-heel moccasin, or a tight over-the-knee style. Designer: nude leather over-the-knee boot, £770, by Etro; 020 7495 5767. High street: beige leather boot, £180, by Ted Baker, at Asos.com

p10.jpg

10 Up your do

If you make only one change this season, put your hair up — for the price of a £3 tailcomb and a packet of Kirbigrips. Slightly teased chignons — or anything else that gives hair height — contribute to the elongated, sophisticated look that’s the essence of this chic autumn. Designer: take inspiration from Michael Kors

i still like these suggestions...
i'm into the new pants...the big jewels...a pointy shoe...some sparkle...a cropped coat...a touch of goth...etc...

one thing that would be nice to find is a bag...
a big clutch is good in terms of not ruining the line of an outfit ( as they suggest)...
but it's really not the most practical thing...

it would be nice to find something that works though...
:ermm:

i know all the pics are not showing now...
but you can tell what these are from the descriptions...

i would say that all these trends are still applicable to this coming fall...2009...
i guess they fall under the heading of what the fashion press is now calling 'slow burners'
***trends that stick around for awhile before 'burning out'...

like ripped denim ...:P

These things are applicable to all FW seasons. I cannot believe someone pays her to write this stuff.

That tiny "now" imperative - the slit of the skirt just so, the height of the boot, the way to wear the hair or carry the bag - is, of course, what keeps us entranced with fashion, rather than mere clothes. And this season, those details carry real weight - so it makes sense to do a bit of homework before rushing to purchase.

Really, Sarah Mower? You are so wise beyond your years. Thank you for enlightening us so fully about what accessories are!

"Bring back the blouse"... where did it go really? Like Justin bringing sexy back, you mean?

"Up your do"??? Fantastic! Such a brave fashion suggestion! You mean a woman with long hair can 'up her do'? Wow!! Let's give her a medal! she is like the modern day's C.Z. Guest.

She is an idiot. Go back to your little cubicle at the Conde Nast building, and continue knitting, or reading, or whatever keeps you busy for the 11 months of the years when you are 100 percent useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
These things are applicable to all FW seasons. I cannot believe someone pays her to write this stuff.

not necessarily...
she's writing about certain trouser shapes, clutches, shine...

there are little tweaks that can make certain "classic" pieces seem "new" or updated each season....
especially since these posts mention the economic climate where we don't necessarily need to invest in pieces that will look too trendy and will be irrelevant in a year...

sure, these things have a classic bent, but that's also why the thread can be bumped almost a year later and still be relevant

the concept of parures, peg-tops and peplums may not be new, but they're certainly not always in... same goes for pointy stilettos... we've been seeing round toes for a while now and things are moving in another direction now..

Anyway, thanks for bumping the thread softie...
i didn't see it last time around and i'm actually kind of excited to start thinking about my fall wardrobe ^_^

you're welcome miss chrissy...:P

i agree that it's all about the details...
classic doesn't have to mean boring and it's all about how you tweak things in subtle ways that can update a classic piece and make it modern...

and the fact that this does still apply a year later is further evidence of how true this is...
so i quite like the article and the ideas suggested...

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->