The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]243927[/split]

misstarsunshine, unfortunately I doubt you will be very inspired by the French street style... especially coming from a colourful place like Australia where very few judge your appearances.... In Paris, you will most probably end up wanting/having to wear a variation of black/grey/neutral...

It also depends where you live in Paris and how you live... If you have to ride the RER everyday juggling strollers, baby carrier and whatnot you might not want to experiment that much... Very few parisians metro station are equipped for the disabled or the ones with small infants and strollers etc... so keeping it simple and efficient will be key.... And since parisians are not known for their friendliness I wouldn't expect too much help in the subway etc...

The other thing I want to say is: there is nothing wrong with not being a minimalist and I am actually quite inspired by you because if I was a bit more like you, all those clothes I spend tons of money on wouldn't be at Oxfam charity shops and the like.. I am glad it made someone happy but if I was a bit more committed and a bit more inspired I might have been able to wear all those pieces instead of letting them go to a storage and then getting tired of them sitting there and doing nothing...

As for living out of a suitcase, I truly hope you won't! It is not fun at all. Hopefully you will settle well into your new city/house and be able to wear whatever you want and how you want it. If you feel like minimalism doesn't suit you then don't go there and bring let's say 100-120 pieces to still reduce the amount of things you will bring but still stay within your comfort zone with how many time you need variety.

Finally, with very young children I must say that, in my opinion, minimalism doesn't really work and I am not going to go there if, god willing, I have a child. Why? Because children spit, vomit, get dirty and you move around a lot, and have to carry them and do things with them etc... If you only have 3 t-shirts then what happens?

Ta-ta, can't wait to see the blouse!

I am getting a pretty nice tax refund this year, and although most of it is going to my savings account I am considering buying a small thing, that I wouldn't have done other wise. Perhaps a missoni headband. I have been wanting one since last summer, but I haven't felt like paying that kind of money for a headband. - and now I can not find the colour I want anywhere.

misstarsunshine, unfortunately I doubt you will be very inspired by the French street style... especially coming from a colourful place like Australia where very few judge your appearances.... In Paris, you will most probably end up wanting/having to wear a variation of black/grey/neutral...

Don't tempt me! That sounds amazing!:heart::heart::D I stayed in this tiny Italian town for a week, and if the Parisians are as chic as the Italian I would be in love!

Betina: What color Missoni headband did you want? You are so black and grey (in a very good way) that I have no idea which color you have fallen in love with. I had a serious crush on a Missoni knee length skirt once:heart: It was brown oc.

Misstarsunshine: I don't know if this is for you, but there is a female author who talks about her "10 item wardrobe" on youtube. She doesn't litteraly only have 10 pieces, but her entire wardrobe is centred around 10 key pieces. I think she has 2 young kids, and she has lived in Paris. Maybe she will inspire you? Her name is Jennifer Scott and she wrote a book called "Lessons from Madame Chic". The entire content is on youtube, so it is free:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I didn't find the Parisians that special style-wise. I think the whole French-look is very overhyped. Not to mention the attitude the average Parisian has that overshadows any kind of chicness. I'm not a big fan of Paris, in case you haven't noticed. :rolleyes: Not meaning to scare you Misstarsunshine, most people don't share my opinion. :wink:

bentinapple, I'm curious as well. They usually use different shades of one color in one garment which makes it look less solid and therefor less colorfull (imo), maybe that makes the difference eizhowa. :wink: I found a great navy Missoni blazer when looking for a knitted blazer, above my budget though.

The Dries van Noten cardigan and tee I ordered are on their way. :woot: They'll both inject some more color into my s/s wardrobe (the cardigan is green/yellow striped and the tee had a green army/animal print).

Well, I have my eyes on a black/white one, of course :wink: It is on my wardrobe inspiration board on pinterest, but it is sold out. I like the coloured ones very much, but like you guys, I do not see it matching with my style.

Welcome to Paris missstarsunshine! :heart:

To be honest, I didn't find the Parisians that special style-wise. I think the whole French-look is very overhyped. Not to mention the attitude the average Parisian has that overshadows any kind of chicness. I'm not a big fan of Paris, in case you haven't noticed. :rolleyes: Not meaning to scare you Misstarsunshine, most people don't share my opinion. :wink:

Eizhowa, the Parisians are nowhere near as chic as Italians, lol! They do have their own laid-back stylishness though.

And Fewormany, I think you'll be glad to find that the Parisians will be the first to agree with you :lol:! Paris is cold, grey, filthy, stinky, messy, and grumpy, and nobody complains more about it than the Parisians. Personally, though, I love it nevertheless, there is so much beauty to compensate :heart:

Eva H is right that color is rare to see in Paris...black, grey, brownish neutrals...Parisians really prefer to blend in and look laid back...

but...must disagree re suitcase living and little children, when I spend a month babysitting my toddler nephew I just wear my usual black minimalist capsule wardrobe and it's perfect. :flower: Here it's grey and drizzly and cold much of the year except spring, and a few weeks in summer if you're lucky--if not, we just end up wearing our down jackets in the summer :ninja: When I came to Paris 5 years ago I thought I'd stay a few months so I just came with a suitcase full of clothes...it was perfectly fine, because we just wash and repeat anyway. Just make sure everything goes with everything, take a bunch of your favorite jewelry, and buy your bulkiest winter items here: winter coat and a few sweaters and a pair or two of boots, and you'll be set.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 piece per month

I have a question. Those of you who stick to/attempt to stick to buying 1 piece per month, where do you draw the line? Do you count t-shirts, jeans ect.? I know I can make up my own rules, but I'd like to hear from you guys:flower:

I am buying much better than I did before, but I still buy too much for my liking. I would like to try the 1ppm metod, but I need to define what that means for me first. If I don't I will be able to justify just about everything by twisting the loose rules.

Assuming my blazer works out, this is my wishlist for Spring:
April - black leather belt with brass buckle
May - Rockins scarf

^ I wouldn't count basics, no. Neither would I count underwear/lingerie and smaller inexpensive accessories as 4-5 pieces, because they are not staples.

I got my Mango order yesterday and both items are extremely comfy indeed. Even too much so, I am almost drowning in the smallest size. :rolleyes: It really annoys me to no end how the sizes are getting bigger and bigger ... I decided to keep both items though as they will be very usable in hot summers. Especially the trousers are so light and airy. ^_^ I and don't even mind for T-shirts to be a bit oversized, they usually are anyway.

eizhowa, I count tops and jeans, but usually not white Ts, unless I know my spending for the season is going to be minimal. I don't count lingerie, loungewear, or accessories.

PS I stick to 5 pieces per season, or 10 a year rather than 12.

@Eizhowa: I haven't be able to stick with one piece pr. month, but generally I count jeans and basic tees, but not socks, hosiery, underwear or (inexpensive) accesories.

I have tried to set limits that challenges me; I don't buy too much in regards of underwear, tights etc. (or sportswear for that matter), therefore, I don't need limits in that area. And I rearely buy inexpensive jewelry, or jewelry in general, for that matter. Therefore I do not feel like I need limitations.

I did consider the necklace I bought in the fall a piece, since it made up for a big part of my spending budget. Same thing goes for my ACNE scarf.

You and me both my friend. Don't worry most French share your opinions, and most parisians who live in real life/real Paris as opposed to postcard Paris can relate as well...
They always come back from London saying things like "you got green hair and no one cares!! No one look at you!" "Oh my god it's not only size 36/8/4 that wear short dresses and shorts there! You can even if you are not perfect body wise" And I just roll my eyes... Paris is an extremely judgmental place, where not looking like the norm attract either pity, smirk or those other unpleasant images...

Eizowha, I did not know that spending your life in black/grey meant being chic... I think it is more of how you wear your clothes instead of what colour you pick... Jina is an all black girl at heart but when you look at her... It is insane how good she looks and how great it works on her, with her attitude, the way she speaks and the way she carries herself... Like Melisande said, Parisians tend to navigate towards those colours to blend in most and foremost, not make waves and look like everyone. It has nothing to do with being chic :wink:

As for the 1 piece per month, my idea is to not count loungewear/sportswear/lingerie/jewellery but I will be counting tops/jeans/accessories like bags etc like ta-ta. That being said, I am not sure ta-ta way of doing it would work well with someone who does not have the kind of established wardrobe that she already has. I think Jina way is probably the best...at least if I feel like my way is too restrictive, I will switch to hers.

Plus, if I remember correctly you work part-time in an area not related to your degree, study full time, you will probably begin doing internships at some point in your field (law?) and then work. And you might not dress the same for all those "you" that there are thus it would make sense to maybe have a bit more to start with so you can cover all those functions and streamline down the line... I don't know if it makes sense :doh: Or maybe the strength of that capsule wardrobe thing is to have inter-changeable pieces that work in any situation... But even in the into-mind workbook she talks about how it can't always work for a professional or someone whose lives are a bit more complicated and advocate creating capsule wardrobes for those other lives/functions as well..

Eizhowa
I don't count the basic items. I've made a polyvore summary of all the basics that I need. So if I need a new grey shirt I know that it's part of my basic wardrobe so i don't count that one.

The things that I count are the special items that I want to buy. Now I want to buy a grey blazer but Im going to wait for a month or two because I've already bought an expensive jacket.

I wrote about my new love for the britisch style and was thinking about my own style. But I found out that I like the look of a casual blue jeans and the oversized turtle neck or a plaid shirt. So I found a plaid shirt at zara which is very affordable. I'm going to buy that one to please my british style new love.

But for my overall wardrobe I'm made a collage of basic wardrobe and now of a wardrobe for the spring. I also have 4 designer jackets now which I didn't at to this collage because they aren't basic enough but off course I wear them too.

yoox.com, net-a-porter.com, stylebop.com, lagarconne.com, watchesfashion.com, debenhams.com, vestiairecollective.com, apc.fr, vestiairecollective.com, toa.st, vestiairecollective.com, scotch-soda.com, VESTIAIREDECOPINES.COM, vestiairecollective.com, VOGUE.CO.JP, BECKSONDERGAARD.COM

Does anyone know if APC still sells the black porselli's? I can't find them on the site.

Plus, if I remember correctly you work part-time in an area not related to your degree, study full time, you will probably begin doing internships at some point in your field (law?) and then work. And you might not dress the same for all those "you" that there are thus it would make sense to maybe have a bit more to start with so you can cover all those functions and streamline down the line... I don't know if it makes sense :doh: Or maybe the strength of that capsule wardrobe thing is to have inter-changeable pieces that work in any situation... But even in the into-mind workbook she talks about how it can't always work for a professional or someone whose lives are a bit more complicated and advocate creating capsule wardrobes for those other lives/functions as well..

I think this is a very good point. Studying full time and working part time can require different wardrobe needs. I definetely dress more casual at uni, than I do at my job (not so much lately, I seem to be stuck in a loose jeans, sweater + sneakers phase).

That being said, I think Eizhowa seem to have a great wardrobe to work with already, both for business and casual :smile:

You and me both my friend. Don't worry most French share your opinions, and most parisians who live in real life/real Paris as opposed to postcard Paris can relate as well...
They always come back from London saying things like "you got green hair and no one cares!! No one look at you!" "Oh my god it's not only size 36/8/4 that wear short dresses and shorts there! You can even if you are not perfect body wise" And I just roll my eyes... Paris is an extremely judgmental place, where not looking like the norm attract either pity, smirk or those other unpleasant images...

Eizowha, I did not know that spending your life in black/grey meant being chic... I think it is more of how you wear your clothes instead of what colour you pick... Jina is an all black girl at heart but when you look at her... It is insane how good she looks and how great it works on her, with her attitude, the way she speaks and the way she carries herself... Like Melisande said, Parisians tend to navigate towards those colours to blend in most and foremost, not make waves and look like everyone. It has nothing to do with being chic :wink:

As for the 1 piece per month, my idea is to not count loungewear/sportswear/lingerie/jewellery but I will be counting tops/jeans/accessories like bags etc like ta-ta. That being said, I am not sure ta-ta way of doing it would work well with someone who does not have the kind of established wardrobe that she already has. I think Jina way is probably the best...at least if I feel like my way is too restrictive, I will switch to hers.

I know wearing black/grey does not make you chic on its own. A certain mannerism is important as well, in my opinion. I personally prefer these (non-)colors. I don't feel good when wearing too many colors at once, and because I would like all of my clothes to go together, neutrals just make sense. My hair is colorful enough, so I don't crave more color:P I also don't suit bright colors too much, and that has influenced which colors I am attracted to when I see them on others.

I would personally love to see more people wear black, grey and brown out and about, because where I live, no-one dresses like that. It is all blue jeans, converse and Bergans (a Norwegian sports brand). Neutral might be what is considered "normal" in Paris, but it is not in my town!

I am easily inspired by girls from other countries. I know there are unstylish people everywhere, but girls in other countries just dress casual in a completely different way from how we dress in my country... In Italy this one girl wore an ivory turtleneck, a waistcoat and the same jacket pretty much every single day, and she looked so chic. Nobody dresses anything like that in my town. In Spain, I saw a waitress wear low slung jeans with a broad belt and a shirt that showed a bit of her midriff. She wasn't the most toned person in the world, but she looked so cool. I have never seen anyone dress like that in my country! I saw these girls probably 5-6 years ago, but I still remember them because of how they dressed and how they held themselves. Oh, and the way Kate Moss moves her hands.. I swoon at these little things:lol: (And Kate wears every color under the sun:wink:)

You remember correctly about me working part time and studying law, Evah:smile: I have a separate work uniform for my part time job. It will probably be two years until I need a wardrobe suitable for an intern. I plan on keeping that uniform quite separate in the beginning. I am very capable of living with very few clothes if I need to. But I haven't started worrying about what I am going to need in two years time yet. There will be plenty of time for that later!:lol:

Thanks for all of your replies regarding the 1ppm system:flower: It was kind of what I already knew, but it is nice to hear it repeated and confirmed:smile:

Trenchcoat: Really nice set of wardrobe basics! I wouldn't mind those things myself. I think what A.P.C has available in store and online are two very different things. I would phone them and ask what they had in store, if you are contemplating going to the store.

Thank you, Betina, you are so sweet:flower:

I agree that planning ahead can be overrated. When I graduated from college, I acquired some suits and things that I was sure I would need, but ended up barely wearing. Part of that was that the whole business culture changed. I do keep things in my wardrobe specifically for interviewing, but for a particular job, there's so much variation between companies that I think the best thing is to observe when you get there, and tweak from there ... this is still true for me today. Right now I work in a very casual environment, and have no idea what the next one will be like. I'll just have to see when I get there ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nauseated
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->