The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I thought you were calling me a douche. That's why I asked for a clarification:P

Is the dress to tight across the bodice or the sleeves? If it is too tight across the sleeves perhaps you could alter it?

Juliette, I don't mind your excessive pinning at all. I would rather have too much activity on Pinterest, than too little:wink:

^That's a great saying! I have to write it down somewhere. :smile:

Ok, I will unprivate it, but I do hope you aren't getting annoyed - I'm kind of obsessed with Pinterest now.

If it were a sandal wedge, I would love it!

I checked the Vagabond selection here, and it's very poor, though ... But I love your sandals, I had a look at the board and they're lovely. I actually wear sandals quite a bit, just for running errands or going to the beach/pool/walks. The wedges I would wear a lot too, for city walks, shopping, drinks ... I would love it if I could find a sandal wedge, but I fear I might have to get something flat too, for my errands.

Here are some wedges and sandals that I like, if that's of any help ... If there are metallics involved, I prefer them to be silver, otherwise I'm really not picky.

Pics from newlook.co.uk

@Eizhowa: I would never call you a douche :heart:

It is sleeves and it to tight around the ... armholes? Generally I just did not feel comfortable in it.

@Juliette:
he can be quite clever sometimes.

I will let you know if I see anything you might like. I really dig the patterned wedges.

Betina, why are you thinking the black dress in not appropriate to wear when attending the wedding? I don't find it negative in any way, but understand some do. :wink:
(But as said some months ago, I would wear black for my wedding dress. :crush:)
On the other hand I just can't understand why some female guests have to pick a white/ivory dress from all the colours and uncolours in the world.
I know it means nothing to most, but I find it a quite rude way to seek for attention that the bride should have on her big day.

You mentioned before that you are feeling the need for some new LBD, so maybe you could combine those two needed dresses in one item?

As for me, I got a huge project today for work (as a freelance designer I currently am) and I'm so exited I just couldn't believe. :woot: Especially since I was contacted by the client himself, after he googled me. :blush:

Sorry for the OT, but I just couldn't resist. :blush:

^There is a lot of OT on this thread, but I think it just helps to keep it alive:wink: Congratulation on getting your project!

I think that traditionally, both white and black dresses have been considered "inappropriate" for weddings. White because it was the color of the bride, and black because it was a color associated with mourning. Of course, a lot of this still affects us today, even if we were not specifically taught so when young or remember why we think it is inappropriate.

Personally, I would not wear black or white to a wedding. I feel that there are good justifications behind the old "rules" about what is "appropriate" and not. We get dressed up in certain ways as a manner of showing respect. It is considered impolite to upstage the bride on her day, as you mention.

I also think there is something beautiful behind the idea of expressing something, like respect, with your choice of colors. Black to symbolize sorrow/death and white to symbolize innocence/life. I remember not being allowed to wear black to a funeral when I was little, because children shouldn't wear black. In everyday life my mother did not care about this at all, but on the day of the funeral she did.

Of course, if the bride is very nontraditional, you might feel justified in wearing something equally nontraditional.

Just out of curiosity, Jinadaze, let us pretend you wore black to your own wedding; would you feel equally offended if someone else wore a black dress as you might have been if they worn white (and you wore white)? Assuming they knew you were wearing black of course:wink:

The wedding I am attending have a very young bride and groom, so I feel less bound by Emily Posts commands than usual:P That's how I justified wearing a dress that ends above the knees, and a knee length (off-)white overcoat:wink:

There, lots of OT:D Sort of.

Betina: have you pinned the dress on Pinterest? If you generally feel uncomfortable in it it might not get much wear at all....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! ^_^

I think I would not be offended if some lady would wear black, because in the end it's a very formal colour and even men are often wearing it for such occasions, so I don't see why females couldn't.
And probably I would have a distinctive dress to begin with. And a bucket of white flowers. :P
I don't see any problem if they are wearing a white jacket or something to cover, as long as it doesn't scream wedding dress. :flower:

betina, do you think your dress could be altered to fix the problem? I will probably come back tomorrow to find you've made a hat and shoes out of it :wink:

^:lol: And remember to post some pictures of the finished hat and shoes, Betina:wink:

I remember seeing a magazine story where the bride wore a blue gown(pastel--something blue I guess), and asked everyone else to wear white!

I have definitely seen someone wearing white to a wedding who just looked gauche and sad (like wearing a big sign, 'I'm an idiot').

I still don't get this douche color thing :unsure: I've never heard of this before. Are languages being combined on me here unexpectedly? :wink: I think that must be the case, as I can't find anything related to color in the English dictionary :innocent:

^I think it just means tone-in-tone pastels, or pastel/light colors. Still haven't grasped it quite yet. It is not a Scandinavian word as far as I know.

Laughing lots at this douche thing :lol:

Going back to the hairdresser thing... I went to get a haircut today and the lady got a little too scissor happy... I complained, but my mother is too much of a pacifist. Thankfully hair grows back. And thankfully hairpins exist.

On the "buying more than one item thing", I too will be buying more than an item soon. I want to buy these two basic tops:

ec60bf4d64216d5ac76358c085a293c6.jpg
186a5968449077e45056e854ae4ffb5b.jpg

stradivarius. com and mango.com respectively

And this dress, which I found brand new on ebay after letting it sell out and it being on the back of my mind for a while:

f1a2894b41e70f7c5780a1f1f64f64cd.jpg

pinterest, via oasis

And my mother will finally be getting me my birthday present this weekend (only two months late :wink: ) aaaand my Children's Day present (she still gives me one! Hah), so I'll finally be getting a white shirt and who knows what else. Maybe a skirt or some trousers.

@Jina: I do not think the hosts would mind if I wore black and I would not have any kind of oppinion about it if anyone else did, but the things is, that I am very old fashioned. Therefore I would never wear black to a wedding. Generelly I will not wear black to formal parties (weddings, confirmations, big birthdays) that starts before dinner time. I do not really know why and it is kind of weird since I constantly wear black for everyday occasions. I think I read in a danish etiquette book and then it just stuck since, well, I am old fashioned :P

The LBD I am looking for is something I will be able to use for every day and informal parties. For a wedding I will need something more dressy. The idea was really good though!

I really know it sounds like I am just looking for an excuse but I was really happy about having found dresses for all three weddings this year in my own closet. I just do not feel comfortable in the one I picked out for this one.

And congrats on the job! With good news like that OT is mandatory. What kind of design do you do?

@Eizhowa: It is a vintage dress that I bought last year. And no, I am probably not going to wear and should think about selling it. I will pin it for you in a sec.

@Ta-ta: not quite there yet :lol: Good idea though :wink: I do not think it can be altered and generally I just did not feel comfortable in it. Also felt too tight around my hips and stomach so the only thing that can be altered is me I guess :wink: And since I was ordered by the doctor to gain weight it would probably be stupid to go on a diet to be able to fit in to it.

@Barbaraa: sorry about your hair. Hairdresser unfortunately tend to do so. Mine got a little shorter than I wanted as well. But it will grow out.

Sounds like you will really be stocking up on your basics. Sounds nice. Really like the leopard dress.

------

I am feeling like a crazy person about this douche thing. I am starting to think that I made it up :lol:

hahaha, that whole douche dialogue is hilarious. you guys could go on tour.

really interesting to read about everyone's intuitions about what is appropriate to wear to a wedding. I have worn a black dress to a wedding before, and also (black) jeans. though I should mention, the bride was in jeans as well :smile: they held a big party a few days later to celebrate (the ceremony itself was quite small), and for that I wore vintage boots, black tights, my favorite silky Humanoid dress and a black simple Humanoid cardigan.
still, even though I went against all the dress-codes you mentioned, I do have some intuitions about what is wedding-appropriate myself. I would never wear a white or ivory dress to a wedding. where do these intuitions come from, I often wonder...

Jin, congratulations on getting that new project! and only a few days after your graduation, things are a-moving and a-shaking for you.

Betina, if I see a good dress I'll let you know!

Betina, why are you thinking the black dress in not appropriate to wear when attending the wedding? I don't find it negative in any way, but understand some do. :wink:
(But as said some months ago, I would wear black for my wedding dress. :crush:)
On the other hand I just can't understand why some female guests have to pick a white/ivory dress from all the colours and uncolours in the world.
I know it means nothing to most, but I find it a quite rude way to seek for attention that the bride should have on her big day.

You mentioned before that you are feeling the need for some new LBD, so maybe you could combine those two needed dresses in one item?

As for me, I got a huge project today for work (as a freelance designer I currently am) and I'm so exited I just couldn't believe. :woot: Especially since I was contacted by the client himself, after he googled me. :blush:

Sorry for the OT, but I just couldn't resist. :blush:

Google has so many excellent uses--congrats! (Got distracted when I wasn't able to give you karma before.)

I Googled the douche color palette and found some results ... one of the suggestions was in another language, maybe French?? Like betina, I couldn't really understand what I was seeing in the palettes :huh: Mostly dusty colors, but also some not. I cannot believe I am hearing this for the first time at my advanced age :rofl:

But I agree that selling the dress is the best option ... and maybe that will give you a little $$ to put toward the new one.

I love that you get a children's day present, barbara. I am suddenly realizing how very wrong it is that we don't have that holiday ...

Google has so many excellent uses--congrats! (Got distracted when I wasn't able to give you karma before.)

I Googled the douche color palette and found some results ... one of the suggestions was in another language, maybe French?? Like betina, I couldn't really understand what I was seeing in the palettes :huh: Mostly dusty colors, but also some not. I cannot believe I am hearing this for the first time at my advanced age :rofl:

But I agree that selling the dress is the best option ... and maybe that will give you a little $$ to put toward the new one.

I love that you get a children's day present, barbara. I am suddenly realizing how very wrong it is that we don't have that holiday ...

Well, I am confused about the whole douche thing as well!

I should sell it but lets see if I will get around to it. These days I find that putting the clothes I do not wear up for sale is in no way worth the amount of time it takes.

I have my eyes on a couple of dresses. I have been browsing the internet all day but only found one (one!) that I really like.

Betina, the dress you are intending to sell (the blue one), did you post a picture of it in a "how do I wear this" thread or something like that? I feel like I have seen it before. Shame it doesn't fit, it is a very good cut and color for a wedding imo.

I also have lots of things I want to sell, but I am putting it off untill I have more. I'd rather do one big job, than many small ones (I have zero patience sometimes):wink:

Ta-ta: To add to the confusion, in french "douche" means shower, so "douche colors" mean "shower colors"?:unsure:

Betina, the dress you are intending to sell (the blue one), did you post a picture of it in a "how do I wear this" thread or something like that? I feel like I have seen it before. Shame it doesn't fit, it is a very good cut and color for a wedding imo.

I also have lots of things I want to sell, but I am putting it off untill I have more. I'd rather do one big job, than many small ones (I have zero patience sometimes):wink:

Ta-ta: To add to the confusion, in french "douche" means shower, so "douche colors" mean "shower colors"?:unsure:

I thought douSche meant shower? I am confused.

I think I posted it in that thread, yes. I love it but it is just not working.

I just feel like the money I get from selling my clothes does in no way make up for the work I have to put into it. Maybe I will just give it to a friend.

I've read the whole "douche colors" thing, so funny! Now I've learnt a new thing. For the wedding code, here in Argentina it's very common to wear black to weddings. I don't find that very appealing, all the young and old ladies in black, like a funeral. Probably when I marry I will forbit black.

As for my purchases, today I received my sweater, it's amazing! The wool is sooooo soft, and the color is perfect - a little darker than the picture I've uploaded. Now I have all the "expensive" items I needed to buy for this winter. The light in the room isn't very good, maybe I'll take a better photo later.

Attachments

• Foto del día 30-05-13 a la(s) 16.40 #2.jpg
    Foto del día 30-05-13 a la(s) 16.40 #2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 1
I've read the whole "douche colors" thing, so funny! Now I've learnt a new thing. For the wedding code, here in Argentina it's very common to wear black to weddings. I don't find that very appealing, all the young and old ladies in black, like a funeral. Probably when I marry I will forbit black.

As for my purchases, today I received my sweater, it's amazing! The wool is sooooo soft, and the color is perfect - a little darker than the picture I've uploaded. Now I have all the "expensive" items I needed to buy for this winter. The light in the room isn't very good, maybe I'll take a better photo later.

Funny how it can be so different. In Denmark black for a wedding is still considered a faux pas.

So great about your sweater! It looks really nice.

Douche in French does mean shower... :lol:

Black isn't seen as much appropriate for weddings in Portugal either, but it's seen from time to time.

And I ordered the leopard dress :smile: Should be getting it in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->