The Hunger Games Thread

sobriquet87

Reaction score
This series is becoming increasingly more popular and a new film adaptation is currently in the works. Actress Jennifer Lawrence has just been cast to play the lead role, Katniss Everdeen.

For those of you who haven't read the books, here's a quick summary of what the story is about:

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

^_^

scholastic

I am obsessed with this series. I hope the director can capture that world accurately, and I hope Jennifer Lawrence does the role justice. Can't wait!

I´m going to the bookstore tomorrow, hopefully I´ll find it. Wish me luck! lol

I LOVED the books.:heart: Had my nose stuck in them for 3 days.

I probably won't end up seeing the films though. The casting of Jennifer Lawrence is such a joke. And this Hunter guy that people are saying is a Peeta possibility? He looks like he belongs on a soap opera.

I read the first one and thought it was not that great..I dont think its going to translate well on film. At all

I read all three books in like a week! I'm really excited that they're making it into a movie!!

These are the actors I want to play the main roles:

Peeta--Hunter Parrish
hunter-parrish-vman-culture-07.jpg

Gale--Taylor Kitsch
Taylor-Kitsch-taylor-kitsch-3759369-396-480.jpg

Prim--Elle Fanning
Elle+Fanning+Somewhere+Los+Angeles+Premiere+E0FfcZIRcmFl.jpg

Haymitch--Karl Urban
Karl+Urban+Special+Screening+Summit+Entertainment+8ygXhVBnSSXl.jpg

justjaredjr, fanpop, zimbio

I bought book one today :smile:
you guys are making excited! can´t wait to start reading.

I have book 1 on my shelf waiting to be read.. I can't wait!

I stayed up till 5 am last night finishing book one lol
it´s a light read, fast paced so it´s entertaining :smile:
It´s like 90% the same as Battle Royale but it´s a nice change to be able to finish it at one´s pace instead of having to wait one month between each comic book. I wonder how book 2 and 3 are... I´m going to buy them tomorrow.

Regarding the movie, I think Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss is a perfect choice. Anyone seen Winter´s Bone? her character is Katniss! she even skins a squirrel lol Wonder if producers will die her hair? or use a wig?
I wouldn´t mind Hunter Parrish as Peeta, he does an excellent job in Weeds. He´s more than just a pretty face.

^Book 2 just flies by. I almost want to say it's my favorite.

Book 3...I thought it was just okay, however some people call it their favorite.

I like the idea of Jennifer as Katniss, however I still can't picture it.
Maybe I need to see her in costume before I'm 100% sure about it.

I feel like I'm missing out on something lol - everyone just seems so excited; so I may have to read the books.
Posted via Mobile Device

The third book came with the mockingjay pin. My new fashion accessory LOL

51ujpd.jpg

myhungergames.com

^That's really cool!!! I'm jealous!

Here's another possible Peeta:
600full-freddie-stroma.jpg

His name is Freddie Stroma. :D

listal

I really like Hunter Parrish for Peeta, but it's already been ruined for me by casting Jennifer Lawrence. Not only does Jennifer not fit the physical description (that doesn't bother me so much), but what in the world were they thinking casting her as a character who is in many ways eeirely similar to her character in Winter's Bone. She's going to be known as the tomboy girl who skins animals in all of her movies!

Last edited by a moderator:
^LOL that´s true, but in any case it´s her management fault. I don´t know... I really like her as Katniss :smile: and the more I read the more I picture Parrish as Peeta :smile:

I kind of want to read these books since they're becoming popular and apparently a very good read, but the storyline just seems so cruel, no :unsure: ? The idea of children having to fight each other to death etc, is just not really appealing to me. Tell me what I'm missing?

The author definitely doesn't hold back when it comes to violence. The books are very gritty and post-apocalyptic.

However, there's more to it than that. When I first heard the storyline, I was not interested and I couldn't get into them when I tried 2 or 3 times. But then I forced myself to keep reading and you realize they're more than just a bloodbath...it's basically a story about a girl who dares to defy a vicious dictator and becomes this symbol of hope and defiance for thousands of people. There's also an interesting love triangle, which keeps you guessing, because you can never tell if the characters are being sincere or just playing a role they're forced into.

I tried to described it without using spoilers. :smile:

i didn't know there was a thread about the books/movie here:buzz:

can't wait for the movie, not sure how i feel about Jennifer Lawrence since she looks too old imo (the most shocking thing about the books was that kids kill kids, i don't want that to be lost) but i guess they can do a lot with hair and makeup and she's a great actress, so i believe she'll do a great job

so glad you like the books koko :wink:

^She's not as old as I thought. Only 20. So, hopefully they will make her look younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->