2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games

As far as the Canadian pair goes, I was actually surprised they scored better than the Russian pair. They seemed fine and smooth, but not very challenging or exciting. Not compare to the Russian team.

Completely agree, I thought the Russian team as fantastic and had some very innovative lifts.

Julia Lipniskaia skates beautifully and at 15 its amazing! She deserves all the praise. Plushenko is really over hyped, or is that just me?

Anyways besides anything ice skating I'm watching cross country skiing, snowboarding, men's downhill and Biathlon.

Plushenko is really over hyped, or is that just me?

I think it's his longevity that makes him such a celebrated figure in the skating world; he's definitely immensely talented though. But I do think the fact that he's been around so long adds to his appeal, for some.

Ther is such a fantastic time in Sochi right now. I enjoy every minute of it.
Since I have to work also, I'm not able to go to all sport events I want, but i go to ice hockey (woohoooo), figure skating (pairs), snowboard and biathlon.
I can maje some pictures from the point if view of a regular spectator, if you want, guys :flower:

YES! Please do, lakoma. :flower: It's amazing to be involved/close to the Olympics; I've been lucky enough to experience it twice already. Have fun!

I second NPJ's comment! Would love to hear your accounts of the events/experience and to see some pictures. I'm especially a bit envious you are getting to see ice hockey (do you know what games yet?) and the snowboarding, that's so cool! Today was a good day for Canada; with Alex Bilodeau winning his second straight gold medal in freestyle skiing and Mikael Kingsbury got the silver, and then Charles Hamlin winning gold in the short tracks 1500m. So congrats on that! All three were really wonderful to watch (although, I'll admit I was hoping J.R. Celski would place in short track. At least he has a few other events to try and do better in). ^_^

It was totally sweet to see Alex Bilodeau celebrate with his brother/family, and how exciting to repeat gold medals at successive Olympics!

^Weren't Germany's outfits meant to be political statements on Russia's anti-LGBT laws?

The US uniforms look like someone took grandma's quilts out from the attic and then cut and patched them together.

^Weren't Germany's outfits meant to be political statements on Russia's anti-LGBT laws?

Doesn't make the slightest difference. There must be other ways to show support than by wearing abhorrent uniforms.

I'm so excited about Erin Hamlin getting bronze in luge!!!! Just absolutely thrilled, my family has been going crazy all day, we're just so happy for her. It's been a long journey to this moment and to have been rooting for her since her first Olympics till now, it's a joy to watch her become the first American to ever medal in the singles luge event. Honestly, I think this is already one of my highlights of this Olympics!

Oh my, Ukraine's jackets hurt my eyes. And I don't even know what to say about the US look at the opening ceremony.

The Russians look pretty great. The Norway curling team suits are pretty awesome to me.

What did people think of the short dance in ice skating; how were Virtue and Moir? I haven't seen it yet (press is still wondering about a fix... sigh).

I'm really biased but I thought they were brilliant and their free dance was just sublime. Robin Cousins summed it up brilliantly yesterday for me. Virtue and Moir skate from the heart but Charlie and Meryl skate from the brain.

^ Thanks for your thoughts, pixie. It could explain why I often prefer Virtue/Moir, because of the emotive aspect. BTW, I love your new avatar! ^_^

EDIT: Virtue/Moir will have silver; USA will have gold in dance. So as it turns out, Canada with no golds in ice skating. Sad. But at least we got some medals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've herd that said about the two sets of couples as well, they both skate beautifully, although I'll admit I tend to favor Scott and Tessa. I just love how emotional a performance they always give and I loved their free dance, the way they seem to float on the ice is just remarkable.

Congrats to both teams. Ive always enjoyed watching both of them compete.

I did favor the Russian couple that took bronze. They always have great energy.

I'm sorry guys, I promised a live report, but instead got lost in all work and competitions. I had a chance to see sone nice competitions, inluding figure Scating Dance pairs live and Ice Hockey Russia vs USA and it was an amazing experience. I will do a report soon :wink:

^ sounds exciting: would've loved to see those events.

Hope you're having fun!

Oh yeah, Finnish ice hockey team (men) won Russians!!!!!
It was ah-mazing!!!!!!!!
And yesterday was such a good day for Finnish people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->