The Missoni Dynasty

thanks for that kit. Funnily enough I was thinking about how missoni has really taken off here i(the UK) in the last year or so. It seems so coveted now - and I wouldn't say in a good way. The footballers wife set & the tennbopper wannabees all seem to desire it so much. I was thinking about that & wondering why but other than coming up with the obviousness of posh Spice & co adopting it as their preferred label, I couldn't work out the reason....

I saw some of it recently in harvey nichols & I really hated it - colours were garish & there is a very obvious sexiness about it that I am not sure it had in the past...did it?

Interested in peoples thoughts here.....

omg helena...you don't even want to know how close i came to sending you a missoni swtr/jkt...:lol: ...

you think Helena? I haven't seen too many wearing it but it's signature zigzag knit has been ripped off for ages. I think there has always been a sexiness to Missoni, maybe it's because I haven't seen the type of person you described helena wearing it that I still quite like it. To me it's zigzag lurex knit makes me think of the 70's powerhouse woman lounging around Italy.

Last edited by a moderator:
helena said:
thanks for that kit. Funnily enough I was thinking about how missoni has really taken off here i(the UK) in the last year or so. It seems so coveted now - and I wouldn't say in a good way. The footballers wife set & the tennbopper wannabees all seem to desire it so much. I was thinking about that & wondering why but other than coming up with the obviousness of posh Spice & co adopting it as their preferred label, I couldn't work out the reason....

I saw some of it recently in harvey nichols & I really hated it - colours were garish & there is a very obvious sexiness about it that I am not sure it had in the past...did it?

Interested in peoples thoughts here.....

It all depends on the colour and pattern . The subdued jewel - coloured zig-zags , the subtle paisleys and the fuzzy , television - interference type mixes of autumn tones allways were and are fabulous . The recent Pucciesque swirls , garish patterns and lurid bold colours are far less so . That's why A/W is always the best for Missoni . The recent A/W 05/06 collection for men was far too garish and colour blinding .

Once upon a time , Missoni was VERY VERY exclusive , and only available at BROWNS MISSONI SHOP on South Molton Street .

You cannot say that now . Even COLLEEN McLAUGHLIN wears it ALL the time , it seems . :cry:

I love Missoni. I don't really care if it's become the new label for "undesirables" to wear..I didn't know it had, because I don't read newspapers or gossip mags and there are very few things for summer 05 I don't like. I haven't seen it out on the shop floor so maybe this would change my mind, but seeing each outfit individually or on the catwalk I have no complaints.

From a 'work' point of view, I know that their dresses will always fit the models like a dream and that gives them plus points from me :P no bulldog clips makes me happy!

kit said:
It all depends on the colour and pattern . The subdued jewel - coloured zig-zags , the subtle paisleys and the fuzzy , television - interference type mixes of autumn tones always were and are fabulous . The recent Pucciesque swirls , garish patterns and lurid bold colours are far less so . That's why A/W is always the best for Missoni . The recent A/W 05/06 collection for men was far too garish and colour blinding .

Once upon a time , Missoni was VERY VERY exclusive , and only available at BROWNS MISSONI SHOP on South Molton Street .

You cannot say that now . Even COLLEEN McLAUGHLIN wears it ALL the time , it seems . :cry:

Sorry :cry:

For ' paisley ' , please read ' fairisle ' .

I've got my ethnic Scottish patterns mixed up !!! :o

Did anyone read that article in Jan Vogue (UK) about the woman with breast cancer? She was a writer at Vogue for sometime and had never had problems getting dressed or making up a outfit. After having one of her breasts removed, she just couldn't manage it anymore. She called Vogue and told them she needed help as she couldn't get dressed. Nothing looked any good, everything felt uncomfortable and to top it off she didn't feel like a woman anymore.
A friend from Vogue came and took her to Missoni where she found that the softness of their knits paired with the vibrant colours turned everything around for her and she began to feel like a woman again. As she had lost her hair, she used the Missoni silk scarfs to tie around her head.
She then went to Pleats Please as the clothes hid the fact that she only had one breast.
It was a really moving article about how fashion had given this woman a new start.

Last edited by a moderator:
that sounds like a great article and experience for that woman.
I really dont have any idea of the buzz on missoni, what category is wearing it etc...but honestly I dont want to know. I've liked missoni, and whether or not the most recent collection pleases me or not, wont deter me from liking what I have in the past. the day I make my choices based on what categoryof people wear certain things, is the day i will have lost my maturity and identity.

i have to agree with a previous poster that said that the brand is overexposed, i to remember when missoni was always avaliable at browns, now it flies off the shelves at selfridges.

^^^ Unfortunately, in order for a brand to exist it has to be available. Only the tiny labels can afford to be stocked by Browns and snub the larger stores such as Selfridges - it's a business and not a hobby for Missoni.

I don't know why it would appeal to footballers wives types :huh: I wouldn't have thought it was overtly sexy enough....but maybe that's down to the pieces the stores (such as Harvey Nichols) are buying in and not the collection overall. After all, I have seen some appaling, Alexander McQueen in some stores, but it certainly doesn't reflect what was on the catwalk or in his own store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->