Thom Browne Menswear

You might have a small/0 waist...but, a 0 jacket literally looks like a childs.

From WWD

Thom Browne Doing Capsule Women’s Collection
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
By Marc Karimzadeh
NEW YORK — Since launching his label in 2001, Thom Browne has been quietly custom-making pieces for women from his Meatpacking District atelier here. Now the men's wear designer is making a serious run at women's ready-to-wear.
Does anyone have the full article?

From WWD
Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2007
By Marc Karimzadeh
NEW YORK — Since launching his label in 2001, Thom Browne has been quietly custom-making pieces for women from his Meatpacking District atelier here. Now the men's wear designer is making a serious run at women's ready-to-wear.

Browne put together a collection of 25 pieces for women under his namesake moniker that will be available at Barneys New York, Bergdorf Goodman, Jeffrey New York and Colette in Paris this fall. Aesthetically, the line is in the spirit of Browne's men's wear with his signature details such as short, shrunken jackets and trousers that fall just above the ankle. It will also include coats, oxford shirts and cardigans. Suits and coats are priced around $4,000 at retail, sweaters, $1,500, and shirts, $400, which is in line with the men's wear.

Browne became energized for women's while creating Brooks Brothers' Black Fleece collection, which he guest designs. He unveiled his first Black Fleece women's pieces last March, featuring tailored suits, pleated dresses, plaid knits and men's wear-inspired topper coats.

"I have seen private female customers really from the beginning," he said. "The project with Brooks Bros. pushed me to do it for myself, but I have been wanting to do it for a long time."

Browne is starting with a capsule launch and hopes to organically evolve it into a full collection over the next two season. "I wanted to start introducing [women's], but in a way so that it's something that people found," he said.

Since starting his namesake business, Browne has arguably become an influential men's wear designer by changing the suit silhouette. He has been showing his collections in New York, but is mulling a move to the Paris men's wear shows in the next two seasons. Browne, who didn't disclose sales projections, said he could envision his women's line on the runway "some day."

"I love seeing girls in my stuff," he said. "It's very different from men's, but I am looking at it very similarly. I am having a good time with it."

I've seen his women's work in person (on an associate at the Tribeca studio) and it really looks amazing. Grey skirt, white blouse, navy jacket...gorgeous.

I don't really see how his aesthetic, altered to fit a female body, would look good on a woman. It was a different thing with Hedi's androgynous take on that theme, with the sleek tuxedo attire and the shiny fabrics, but with Thom Browne, what is it gonna look like - English wools in classic Saville Row fashion? Mannish knits and shirts with bold stripe or check patterns?

When I first saw what he did for Brooks Brothers, I immediately had to think of how certain career women dressed in the 1980ies to prove themselves against their male counterparts. I don't think any woman would like to dress like this ever again.

I love that's it's the same look, the same approach to dressing for women as it is for the men. He's not doing a bunch of frilly dresses and saying "I really wanted to imagine who the woman my kind of guy would be with..". He's saying "this is what I make and women can wear it too." It's....dare I say it...modern.

I actually saw a recent editorial in some magazine (not sure which, may have been online) that extensively used the Black Fleece collection styled for women (it all had an Annie Hall feel). I don't think it was ever obvious, not to me at least, but Thom Browne's clothes on women is very charming.

I love that's it's the same look, the same approach to dressing for women as it is for the men. He's not doing a bunch of frilly dresses and saying "I really wanted to imagine who the woman my kind of guy would be with..". He's saying "this is what I make and women can wear it too." It's....dare I say it...modern.

:P :wink: :innocent:

I must say I liked his womenswear (for BB) but Tricotine is right, although some men like wearing a retro silhouette, it's more difficult for women. And I understand them (for the reasons you named).

BTW Will there be a show for his SS 08 menswear :huh:?

there's a short article in vogue over the women's line and it is very, very foward. the cuts are the same used for a man, just altered for a woman...no embracing of curves or hips of any sort, which i think lends itself to the brand.

I just made an appointment for the Black Fleece trunk show next week. (Thom will be there)

yes please do...i am wondering whether this will be on par with golden fleece or a step below quality wise...either way i'm kind of iffy on wearing a "diffusion" label...

It is supposed to have more hand tailoring and construction standards than Golden Fleece.

More on the womenswear line from Vogue. I like what I see thus far - its not the most unique thing ever but the little details look lovely and these seem like clothes I would wear / things one would want in their closet. Love those little blazers.

Image Credit | Scanned by Me from US Vogue

Thom Browne cashmere mittens, Thom Browne silk bowtie, Thom Brown cotton socks (bought like 2 months ago but forgot to pick up)
thomthomthom001.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/IronKidJ/thomthomthom001.jpg

Thom Browne espresso wingtips
thomthomthom004.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/IronKidJ/thomthomthom004.jpg
thomthomthom011.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/IronKidJ/thomthomthom011.jpg
thomthomthom012.jpg

thomthomthom013.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/IronKidJ/thomthomthom013.jpg

i;m surprised by how much i like the black fleece women's stuff...
normally i cannot stand brooks brothers women's stuff....
but the shrunken nature of thom brown's stuff makes me like it much more...
because it means it is more fitted than regular brooks bros...

and with menswear being a trend this for womenswear this season...
the timing could not be better...

:P

Hahah thanks I want to make the side angle my background...I love the gleams of light shining off the brass on the shoe horn.

Soft I will let you know what Black Fleece women's looks like in person when I go to the trunk show on Tuesday.
But, trust me women in his stuff look AMAZING. The/My SA at BG finally got her wardrobe and looks great in the trousers, white oxford and undone bowtie. The girl at his studio had on an awesome grey flannel skirt and navy blazer. Also, I cream my jeans...err trousers whenever I see a girl in his men's knitwear/cardigans (so far the count has been 2: one younger and one was like a 40s mom).

Hahah thanks I want to make the side angle my background...I love the gleams of light shining off the brass on the shoe horn.

Soft I will let you know what Black Fleece women's looks like in person when I go to the trunk show on Tuesday.
But, trust me women in his stuff look AMAZING. The/My SA at BG finally got her wardrobe and looks great in the trousers, white oxford and undone bowtie. The girl at his studio had on an awesome grey flannel skirt and navy blazer. Also, I cream my jeans...err trousers whenever I see a girl in his men's knitwear/cardigans (so far the count has been 2: one younger and one was like a 40s mom).

I must say I wonder how that's possible considering how large are cut his clothes :shock:. I have finally tried the "size 0" and it's definitely two times too large for me. :cry:. That's why I wish we could soon buy a large range of accessoiries (that bow is gorgeous, and so are these oxfords (looks like taurillon), but nevertheless I wonder how you'll manage to keep the socks white...) or m-t-m clothes, here, in France.

A 0 is tiny...like I would say a 0 would fit my 11 year old brother.
Can you please post a picture of yourself and your stats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaffir124
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->