Underrated Movies

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
A few members have made mention of underrated movies in the Overrated Movies thread... so why not start an Underrated Movies thread?

Which films have you felt to be exquisite, but have either fallen short with critics or have been kept below the radar?

underrated meaning it didn't win any recognition (awards & nominations), critically underrated or movies most people haven't even heard of but should? it could be so broad and confusing. anyway, here's some i personally think are underrated:

birth, we don't live here anymore and hard candy but there's still a lot out there. :flower:

Valmont by Milos Forman, such a shame it was released just a year or so after Dangerous Liasons, it got completely slaughtered because of the success of Dangerous Liasons.

kikidior said:
underrated meaning it didn't win any recognition (awards & nominations), critically underrated or movies most people haven't even heard of but should? it could be so broad and confusing.

However you wish to define underrated.

I felt that We Don't Live Here Anymore was very, very good.

Hana_N said:
Valmont by Milos Forman, such a shame it was released just a year or so after Dangerous Liasons, it got completely slaughtered because of the success of Dangerous Liasons.

Very true, it is an lovely movie, it was released in 1988, one year after DL. Bad promotion, it is sad it can ruin the way a movie is 'rated'.

I like underrated films and I don't think I wish they would be acclaimed. When something becomes well-known and acclaimed, money comes involved and makes everything dull. It becomes overrated. It's not exciting anymore, it is suspicious.

^ For sure. There's a sort of magic to those films.

Dogville, amazing movie, one of my favourites. Not even an oscar nomination.

"The Royal Tenenbaums" and "The Life Aquatic" are both severely underrated films. (I love Wes Anderson. :smile:)

Not as amazing as what all of you as mentioned, but I'd like to throw Jersey Girl out there. It wasn't a brilliant masterpiece, but it is cute and touching, and always dismissed at Gigli II, which it doesn't deserve.

Hard Candy

Not really underrated because it has gotten great reviews, but it wasn't really as promoted as much as other films were. I think mainly due to the fact there were no celebrities (unless you want to count the 2 minute guest spot by Sandra Oh) in the movie. But I loved it. It was something new, and I've never seen a movie remotely like it.

Immortal Beloved, I thought was quite a good movie. It's an absolute sham that Gary Oldman did not get more recognition of his role as Beethoven. I think it's an absolute sham that Natalie Portman has an oscar nomination and Gary Oldman has never had one!

I put the overrated films on the left side and I'll put the ones that I think are underrated on the right.

Charlotte's Web/Babe
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre/28 Days Later
Scarface/Miller's Crossing
American Beauty/The Apartment (1960)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show/Heathers
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon/House of Flying Daggers
Rebel Without a Cause/Ghost World
The Passion of the Christ/Ponette

"in my fathers den"

one of the best movies ive ever seen

Zoolander
Dodgeball

:blush: I absolutely love those movies. Normally I don't like stupid, cheesy movies like Scary Movie and all those but Zoo&Dodge are different....the creativity and comic genius is hilarious.

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!" :lol:

"It's a special bond he shares with his mail-order wife.":lol:

Running Scared. Wow, this is a really f***d up movie! And I LOVED The Science of Sleep, V for Vendetta, ohhh I know I have tons more, but I just can't think!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grind I really like this movie and find it funny, a movie I can keep on watching many times.

Definitely The Others, I felt it was practically ignored by the general public when released and the movie is a cinematic masterpiece. I can't believe those kids got no serious work afterwards...:shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjustken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->