Overrated Movies

Regarding Avatar I didn't like the storyline. It was whatever to me, I only liked the special effects.

I haven't read through the thread so I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but I really was soooo disappointed with Inglourious Basterds. Me and my nephew were watching it and throughout the whole film it was "ok so when is the good stuff going to come?" "ok so when's it going to kick in?" I just didn't like it. The only good thing to come from that film was Christoph Waltz.

Agree about Burn After Reading too, that was such a huge disappoint considering all the big names although gotta say Brad Pitt's character was the only character I liked.

Can't think of any other films that super disappointed me.

I found Black Swan to be completely melodramatic and over the top (in a bad way) so it has definitely been overrated.

A movie I liked but still think was way overrated is Inception. I can't tell you how many comments I read saying it was the best movie ever made. It wasn't even Christopher Nolan's best movie - that honor would probably go to Memento - so all the hype made me expect more than was delivered. Still a really good movie though, unlike Black Swan.

I have to agree with you, TheChosen1, Pirates of The Caribbean was really overrated. They aren't bad films by any means but the cult following which they seem to have isn't necessary. It wasn't that good of a film! Also, did anyone else think that Alice in Wonderland was overrated too? The only thing I liked about the film was the costumes! Actually as a whole I find most Tim Burton films to be completely overrated. I like a few of them, but overall I just think they fall flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are different levels of being overrated.

Movies That Got Critical/Popular Acclaim That I Disliked
-Lost in Translation- Yawn
-Donnie Darko- I wanted to like it but it just wasn't happening
-Sweeney Todd- The theater geek in me had major issues with this one
-Life is Beautiful- I felt like it trivialized the Holocaust
-The Hurt Locker- Didn't stand out from a million other war movies IMO
-The Passion of the Christ- If you're not religious/Christian it's just a guy getting beat up and tortured for two hours
-The Dark Knight- Aside of Heath Ledger's stand out performance I didn't think there was anything special here
-Vicky Christina Barcelona- I sometimes like Woody Allen but this was dull male fantasy
-No Country for Old Men- I was bored for most of it.
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- I felt like it was going through the motions of a romantic epic without engaging in the storytelling
-Slumdog Millionaire-It went from disgusting to facile and cliched

Movies that Were Hugely Popular That I Thought Were OK At Best
-Pirates of the Carribean (all of them)
-Avatar- Impressive visuals but I liked the story better in Fern Gully
-The Matrix- One movie was entertaining enough. By the sequels I was bored stiff
-Star Wars- Even the original trilogy which other people say is great left me cold
-Napoleon Dynamite- I think I chuckled once or twice
-Amelie- I wanted to love it but by the time I saw it, it didn't live up to it's reputation
-Memento- Gimmicky

Movies That I Liked, But Not As Much As Other People Did
-(500) Days of Summer- It was OK but nothing to write home about
-The Virgin Suicides- I liked visual elements of this but it didn't make enough of an impact on me, for me to love it
-Fight Club- It was entertaining and interesting but it didn't "wow" me
-Inglorious Bastards- Good for one watch but not worth more than that

Movies That Other People Think Are Overrated That I Like/Love
-Titanic- Say what you will about the admittedly corny dialogue, it gets me every time
-Moulin Rouge- I can see where some people might find it over the top but I think it's a visual, sensory treat.
-Black Swan- I loved the music, the visual storytelling, the whole experience of it
-The Hours- I thought it was haunting
-Shutter Island- I'd read the book so I wasn't worried about it being "predictable". I thought the movie was pretty well done.

Do we have a thread for underrated movies? We should have one for movies we loved but feel like other people didn't "get".

^I love how you broke that down. I would copy you, but I'm too lazy. lol.
And I agree we need a thread for underrated movies too.

Movies that I think are overrated or just plain dislike:

2001: A Space Odyssey...I will never understand why some people like it.
Star Wars...never seen any of them and don't want to.
The Fighter...I thought it was really boring.
Inception...I don't get the hype. I didn't even think the special effects were that impressive.
Gone With the Wind...I've attempted to watch it a couple of times and it bores me to tears.
Garden State...it's really forgettable and I got nothing out of it.
Pretty In Pink...I don't get the love for this film at all. The romance so unrealistic.
Breakfast At Tiffany's...I thought it was dull and I hate what she did to the cat at the end.
Dances With Wolves...It's so boring. Why did it win Oscars?

-Vicky Christina Barcelona- I sometimes like Woody Allen but this was dull male fantasy

That is up there with worst movies i've ever seen, the first one being the Passion of the Christ that you also mention, that is basically torture p*rn.
It's just one long cliché, it's so bad is unbelievable. I had a spanish work college of when he wanted to make us laugh we would imitate Javier Barden's lines in that film. He just couldn't believe it how the critics gave acceptance to a film so riddled with stupid stereotypes.

Lord, 'Passion' made my cry like hell that I refuse to watch it anymore.

And I agree with sobriguet87
Gone With the Wind...I've attempted to watch it a couple of times and it bores me to tears.

Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Hunt for Red October overrated. They are also the only movies where I started falling asleep or actually fell asleep.

The Way We Were...I thought it was terrible. I know a lot of people love it, but I watched it with a couple of friends and it was like torture.
I felt no chemistry between those two and the whole movie just felt like a waste of time.

Star Wars, 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Hunt for Red October overrated. They are also the only movies where I started falling asleep or actually fell asleep.

Definitely agree with you on Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but then I'm not a particular fan of Kubrick's either. At any rate, Peter Hyams' sequel 2010: The Year We Make Contact was about 50 times better in every aspect, and succeeded in (among others) two key things 2001 didn't - entertainment and suspense.

Inception - I thought everything about the movie was too surface and lacked depth.

Black Swan - What other people probably saw as, "wow, psychological thriller!", I saw as, "this girl is so screwed up". I also thought Natalie Portman's acting was a bit one-dimensional and underwhelming. (And I actually really like Natalie Portman.) For a good psychological thriller, watch Silence of the Lambs.

That is up there with worst movies i've ever seen, the first one being the Passion of the Christ that you also mention, that is basically torture p*rn.
It's just one long cliché, it's so bad is unbelievable. I had a spanish work college of when he wanted to make us laugh we would imitate Javier Barden's lines in that film. He just couldn't believe it how the critics gave acceptance to a film so riddled with stupid stereotypes.

When I saw Bardem in this movie I thought: This is the dumbest role a spanish guy can play....ever.

But along came Eat, Love, Pray.:yuk: Yes...he plays a brazilian, but it´s the same lame cliche. Well the whole movie is a cliche. Indians are all wise and enlightened, italians do not worry about growing hips, eat all day and they don´t work......

It´s so funny to see how latin people are often perceived (for some american directors) as loud speaking matadors or drug dealers, always seducing señoritas, dancing, living like gipsies, drinking wine...

Eat, Pray, Love- It was just terrible but it seemed to me that people couldn't get enough of the book or the movie. But mainly these people were older women when I went to the theater.

Napoleon Dynamite- I've only seen about a total of five mins of this film and thought it was dreadful and not funny at all. I couldn't believe that all my classmates were quoting it when it was just released.

Oceans 11- It bored me to tears. I don't know why I even bother trying to watch the other films too (I blame Brad Pitt and George Clooney for this).

Avatar- I didn't find the storyline that creative (it's just a retelling of Pocahontas) and don't think good graphics can makeup for such a terrible storyline.

The Social Network- I liked it but I still think it was a bit overrated. Jesse Eisenberg was quite good actually but I'm still a bit appalled by the way they portrayed Mark Zuckerberg and how much publicity the film got. I didn't think it was that good. And it surprised me that the film won awards.

I think there are different levels of being overrated.

Movies That Got Critical/Popular Acclaim That I Disliked
-Lost in Translation- Yawn
-Donnie Darko- I wanted to like it but it just wasn't happening
-Sweeney Todd- The theater geek in me had major issues with this one
-Life is Beautiful- I felt like it trivialized the Holocaust
-The Hurt Locker- Didn't stand out from a million other war movies IMO
-The Passion of the Christ- If you're not religious/Christian it's just a guy getting beat up and tortured for two hours
-The Dark Knight- Aside of Heath Ledger's stand out performance I didn't think there was anything special here
-No Country for Old Men- I was bored for most of it.
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- I felt like it was going through the motions of a romantic epic without engaging in the storytelling
-Slumdog Millionaire-It went from disgusting to facile and cliched

Movies that Were Hugely Popular That I Thought Were OK At Best
-Pirates of the Carribean (all of them)
-Avatar- Impressive visuals but I liked the story better in Fern Gully
-The Matrix- One movie was entertaining enough. By the sequels I was bored stiff
-Star Wars- Even the original trilogy which other people say is great left me cold
-Napoleon Dynamite- I think I chuckled once or twice
-Amelie- I wanted to love it but by the time I saw it, it didn't live up to it's reputation
-Memento- Gimmicky

Movies That I Liked, But Not As Much As Other People Did
-(500) Days of Summer- It was OK but nothing to write home about
-The Virgin Suicides- I liked visual elements of this but it didn't make enough of an impact on me, for me to love it
-Fight Club- It was entertaining and interesting but it didn't "wow" me
-Inglorious Bastards- Good for one watch but not worth more than that

Movies That Other People Think Are Overrated That I Like/Love
-Titanic- Say what you will about the admittedly corny dialogue, it gets me every time
-Moulin Rouge- I can see where some people might find it over the top but I think it's a visual, sensory treat.
-Black Swan- I loved the music, the visual storytelling, the whole experience of it
-The Hours- I thought it was haunting
-Shutter Island- I'd read the book so I wasn't worried about it being "predictable". I thought the movie was pretty well done.

Do we have a thread for underrated movies? We should have one for movies we loved but feel like other people didn't "get".

There is so much that I agree with you!!!
Vicky Christina Barcelona was bad. Only good thing was Penelope and Javier but that´s it. I hate Woody Allen films and I think HE is overrated.

Lost In Translation...I fell in sleep after watching it like 15minutes. Few week after I tried to watch it again, this time I managed to watch it but it was booooooooooooooooooooring.
Usually I do not like films by Sofia Coppola.

Ah, I do not get why people do not like Moulin Rouge, it is AWSOME.
I love it, know all the lines and songs.
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Few overrated movies:

sophie´s choice

brokeback mountain- good actors and actresses were great and the ending was sad and the idea of story was good but I tought whole movie is boring.

psycho

american beauty

the shining- altough jack nicholson was scary!!!

the pianist

million dollar baby- I hate this movie.

Top Gun. I don't understand why that movie was so popular. The flying scenes are great, but the rest of the movie kind of sucks. The plot is silly and unrealistic, they kill the best character, and Tom Cruise does a great job of making Maverick thoroughly unlikeable. (I spent the entire movie hoping that Val Kilmer would kick him in the nuts.) But at least the music is awesome.

-Memento- Gimmicky

Lol, 'gimmicky'? It's pure genius how Nolan puts us in the perspective of the characters memory loss by playing the scenes in reverse order. And I disagree with your view of The Dark Knight too. The best comic book film I have seen yet. Can't wait to see how The Dark Knight Rises turns out

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->