Underrated Movies

The Woodsman- Maybe it was considered too controversial, but it seemed so underrated to me.
The Cell :ninja:-Maybe the story wasn't all that original, but the visuals! :woot:
Beloved- One of my favorite movies ever. A great book too.

Wonder Boys - I love this movie for the life of me. Superb acting all around. I can't believe it wasn't nominated for Best Movie at the Oscars...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Edukators - although the Hollywood remake comes out in 2009 :vomit:
The Spanish Apartment and Russian Dolls
DarkBlueAlmostBlack
The 21Up documentaries
Lilya 4-ever
Love in thoughts
Shattered Glass
Thumbsucker

Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, Wayne's world Movies and The shining. Oh, and Young Frankenstein. :P

Originally Posted by Dustcakeboy:
Definitely The Others, I felt it was practically ignored by the general public when released and the movie is a cinematic masterpiece. I can't believe those kids got no serious work afterwards...:shock:

i didn't realize this movie was underrated!
probably just because i have seen it so many times and still get scared out of my wits !
i always have to close my eyes when the lady w/ the white eyes sees the kids in the closet :ninja:

but i did wonder whatever happened to the kid actors...never saw them in any other movies :(

Dangerous Beauty.. one of my favorite movies of all time..
Also loved Mermaids (with Winona Ryder, Cher, a very young Christina Ricci)...
Also Foxfire, The House of Sand and Fog (not sure if it is underrated?- but think it's a fabulous film nonetheless..) Blue Car, The Rainmaker...

and I second kerroppi's mention of Wonder Boys..

Last edited by a moderator:
I must agree on wonder boys as well! I can't believe how phenomenal that movie is, I might watch it tonight! :smile:

yup :smile: .. Another one I forgot to mention is Postcards from the Edge (has Meryl Streep in it)

Oooo, Wonder Boys has also unearthed my Buffy The Vampire Slayer collection. :P I smell a good DVD all-nighter.

I'd say my favorite movie no one watches anymore-- Animal Crackers. It stars the Marx Brothers and I'm thrilled with those usually. :smile:.

Has anyone watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Nobody gives that movie half of the credit it deserves, it's one of the most beauitful romantic movies, for the moments in life I remember so well. :smile:

The 21Up documentaries

I agree! Only I'm slightly biased because a relative of mine has worked on several of these. They are very good though.

I also think that a lot of the movies mentioned here have been very highly rated by critics but did not necessarily perform at the box office. Wonder Boys is a good example.

^ That was on the other day. I just watched the dance scene... pretty cute.

Valmont by Milos Forman, such a shame it was released just a year or so after Dangerous Liasons, it got completely slaughtered because of the success of Dangerous Liasons.
My friend was involved in the post production of Valmont.

I think one of the most underrated movies is The New World. It came out at the end of 2005 and NOBODY saw it. I probably made it most of it's money! I saw it three times in the theater.:lol: It was a genius movie, so beautiful, so masterful, so powerful....it was really, extremely moving. I just watched it again a couple of days ago and it's still as powerful as it was the first time!:cry::heart:

My friend was involved in the post production of Valmont.

I was on the set of this film one day when it was shooting in Bordeaux. Hollywood always seems to stumble upon a good idea and two competing films go into production at the same time about the same thing. It's a shame as this is a good adaptation and was totally overshadowed. I like Dangerous Liaisons too though.

Goodbye Lenin!
The Lives of Others
Dirty Pretty Things
i think sunshine of the spotless mind is the most overrated movie ever.:unsure:

I think one of the most underrated movies is The New World. It came out at the end of 2005 and NOBODY saw it. I probably made it most of it's money! I saw it three times in the theater.:lol: It was a genius movie, so beautiful, so masterful, so powerful....it was really, extremely moving. I just watched it again a couple of days ago and it's still as powerful as it was the first time!:cry::heart:
YES!!!

I thought the cinematography was breathtaking :heart: And I love the dialogues, as meagre as they are.

Terrence Malick is the director of that movie, most of his films are fairly unknown to the general public. Some will remember The Thin Red Line, but he also made some cool movies back in the 70's ... particularly Badlands and Days of Heaven. They are well worth checking out if you enjoyed his style.

:smile: I loved "The New World", I remember renting it on DVD as a blind rent and thought it was breathtaking. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->