US Harper's Bazaar November 2012 : Nicole Kidman by Terry Richardson

Nicole is fabulous, but this isn't. It looks decent for Terry standards but it's still not good.

Her face on the cover looks as awful as I thought it would do. The editorial doesn't look good either. The styling feels so random for the concept, she looks kinda lost and unconfortable... The third shot is quite decent, though.

Usually, I feel that Bazaar editorials tend to have the personality of the subject infused in the shots. The editorial, though okay for Terry's standards, are not something I would associate the regal Nicole be doing. I feel like she'd scoff at the kind of things associated with Monster Trucks and 'Middle America' in general.

She's married to a country singer and lives in Tennessee, which is located...get ready for it!... in Middle America! And let's not forget that she starred in Days of Thunder, a Tony Scott film about car racing. She has never struck me as a classist, elitist person though. She's not someone like Gwyneth Paltrow.

That said, I hate the editorial.

What an awkward pose for the cover! It's awful. I'm also annoyed that Bazaar is obsessed with gold covers.

Seems extremely familiar. Like I've seen this cover before.
And they could've show some respect to her face. We all know she isn't a 20-something-year-old girl, so no need for trying to make her look like that.

^I was thinking the same thing, I got a very deja vu feeling looking at it. She does look fab in the golden gown, I dont get the editorial theme though, but Im glad he didnt try to make her too provocative.

I just seen the Grace of Monaco promo on Daily Mail, and I thought how terrific Nicole photographed. Then I clicked on the thread and I cannot get over how terrible the cover shot is. Nicole's eyes seem droopy and the mouth is just awkward. More often that not I favour Terry Richardson, but this is atrocious. But Terry is Terry and I blame American Bazaar for publishing this mess.

well, for US Bazaar this is a very good cover and for sure it will be reprinted worldwide for million times

didn't Harper's Bazaar do a similar Cate Blanchett cover with a gold dress against a gold background?

I got that deja vu feeling too...

^ ... and with Kate Winslet, Gwyneth Paltrow, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Anne Hathaway (twice), Renée Zellweger, Leighton Meester, Drew Barrymore...

at least they got rid of that " fabulous at every age" b.s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bland as it was, I actually liked and bought the normal-sized US Bazaar, but for me, since the relaunch, the magazine has done nothing to justify the decision to move to a larger format.

Yes, there are a few decent editorials now and again, but there's no photography that truly makes the most of the format, it's just the same content as before, but now stretched so thinly across each page, that it's like wind whistling through a ghost town.

When I recall the page design of the 90's, it was minimal but perfectly balanced, but all I see in this 2012 version is acres of white space that performs no function. For me, it doesn't add grandeur or sophistication, it just signals a complete lack of substance.

I am unabashed in my love of bland glamour, and I was fond of the first issue of the redesign, but ever since then, I've seen little reason to buy this magazine, and with a cover shot like this one, is there going to be anything inside the issue that's going to compensate?

totally agree tigerrouge, my Bazaar subscription will ending soon(just subscribe when I heard the news about the re-launch design) and I won't renew. and this new size is the same size as BAZAAR in Anthony T.Mazzola as EIC(80's-early 90's) and Tilberis+Baron trimmed the size of the magazine since Sept 1992. Compare Mazzola's BAZAAR with the now BAZAAR I think Mazzola's BAZAAR can show the power of this size of magazine more. But BAZAAR in Liz Tilberis+Fabian Baron's era is forever modern. I think the golden age of BAZAAR are Carmel Snow+Alexey Brodovitch and Liz Tilberis+ Fabian Baron.

Are platforms Over? No... you guys are

She's married to a country singer and lives in Tennessee, which is located...get ready for it!... in Middle America! And let's not forget that she starred in Days of Thunder, a Tony Scott film about car racing. She has never struck me as a classist, elitist person though. She's not someone like Gwyneth Paltrow.

That said, I hate the editorial.

Also, her character in The Paperboy is pretty "white trash". So, I think it all makes sense. :lol:

This cover is lame. I don't understand, and can somebody PLEASE explain to me why the hell they're using Terry so god d@mn much since they reinvented the magazine? He shot three lame editorials for the September. HB is just becoming more commercial every month. The editorial and the cover have no corrolation with each other, and the editorial is just awful. I see absolutely nothing inspiring about this. Just like every other one of Terry's editorials it's just something standing there stiffly and in the same pose for every picture. (Her legs are spread apart in four of those shots... Terry needs to keep his personal life out of his work) I hate how lame this magazine has become.

Terry Richardson should not be shooting for this magazine -- period, end of. That has nothing to do with my liking or disliking him, they're simply not a good match aesthetically. Please sort out your identity crisis, Harper's Bazaar US.

i think nicole is a brilliant actress, and she seems like a a sweet person but honestly at this point i see no reason for her to still be covering magazines all the time. what new and interesting things, besides a shocking Scientology/tom cruise marriage tell all (which i'm sure she will never do), could she possibly have to say? she has been styled just about every possible way too over the years.

This cover is lame. I don't understand, and can somebody PLEASE explain to me why the hell they're using Terry so god d@mn much since they reinvented the magazine?

Maybe he's one of the few willing to work for them? :lol::lol::ninja:

i think nicole is a brilliant actress, and she seems like a a sweet person but honestly at this point i see no reason for her to still be covering magazines all the time. what new and interesting things, besides a shocking Scientology/tom cruise marriage tell all (which i'm sure she will never do), could she possibly have to say? she has been styled just about every possible way too over the years.

As long as she has a movie to talk about, there will be a magazine cover for Nicole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->