What Not To Wear At Church...

Originally posted by tealady+Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:37 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:37 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:30 am
Quite frankly I don't think an omnipotent divine being who created infinity really gives a damn about what you wear to church.
Did someone say he did? :unsure: [/b][/quote]
I'm sure he couldn't care less, seeing as he's seen us at our worst. However, I do feel that it's a mark of respect to dress appropriately for one's situation.
On that note, I just returned from shul. Wearing a knee-length lavender-ish skirt, white blouse, cream tights and some heels. Hopefully G-d appreciates my getting dressed up for him... :angel:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia+Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:34 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purplelucrezia @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:34 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by tealady@Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:37 am
<!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats
@Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:30 am
Quite frankly I don't think an omnipotent divine being who created infinity really gives a damn about what you wear to church.

Did someone say he did? :unsure:
I'm sure he couldn't care less, seeing as he's seen us at our worst. However, I do feel that it's a mark of respect to dress appropriately for one's situation.
On that note, I just returned from shul. Wearing a knee-length lavender-ish skirt, white blouse, cream tights and some heels. Hopefully G-d appreciates my getting dressed up for him... :angel: [/b][/quote]
I've no doubt! :kiss:

I think we can have freedom to wear what we like as long as your outfit doesn't look like you can we waiting tables as a strip club.

Cover up, but you don't have to be in head to toe fabric(unless your from a diff religion like Muslim where you do need to be very covered).

Other than that I dress as I like, but draw a line...if I can wear it to school I can wear it to church, but if its for the clubs then its not for the church.

I'm not sure about you other people, but I go usually in more casual clothes...I don't dress up formally for church unless it was a certain occasion going on there.

I dress up to a certain extent. No denim, no sneakers... but it's not a rule that I wear a skirt or dress. :doh: Only because I feel uncomfortable when I'm underdressed compared to everyone else.

Originally posted by Sephora_Socialite@Apr 24th, 2004 - 5:48 pm
Cover up, but you don't have to be in head to toe fabric(unless your from a diff religion like Muslim where you do need to be very covered).
They're not the only ones. :rolleyes:

My church is very relaxed. Jeans are perfectly acceptable. Some people have taken casual and relaxed to a new level. One girl wore her pajamas and slippers to church. To top the outfit off, her normally brown hair was dyed red, black, orange, and blue.

I don't think that it has anything to do with God seeing us at our worst. Some of our friends and family have seen us at our worst. Does that make us walk around all day with messed up, runny mascara and naked? No! It's about going to a place of worship. Where ever you are going to worship is a place to be respected. I hate that I would even have to compare the two, but if you wanted your dream job, would you go to your interview in your mini tartan and tee? No, because it's about respect more than anything. Modesty is what it's about AND you are not to distract the opposite sex in anyway. So wear appropriate length dresses/skirts (at knees or lower), no cleavage, nothing to show underwear or your actual body and no jiggling booty or boobies(wear appropriate undergarments and nothing tight [there's a difference between fitted and too little]). We don't wear pants at my church b/c we feel the way they are worn today, they are far more revealing than a skirt. My church doesn't do denim or sneakers unless it's choir practice or a meeting about who and what is cooked on Sunday. We just don't feel as if you just dress any better at school, work, on a date or anywhere better than you come to church.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 4:30 pm
Its not about God, Its about the church. The place is more sacred if people treat it that way. Wearing something like that could distract other people in what is a communal event.

You are distracting people from there worship by wearing something that isn't conservative. This changes the Church into a social arena which is not the intention. I am not a follower of the church, I'm not saying its perfect and I don't support it. There is a dress code and you wouldn't like someone coming to your Dinner jacket party with a pair of jeans on, would you tybalt :innocent:

Admittedly my dinner parties are a celebration of a divine being, however, not even I could draw a direct parallel...

I concur though...

I was just getting ready to submit myself. Your opinions on the establishment I cannot faulter.

Originally posted by ahhGucci+Apr 25th, 2004 - 8:06 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ahhGucci @ Apr 25th, 2004 - 8:06 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 4:30 pm
Its not about God, Its about the church. The place is more sacred if people treat it that way. Wearing something like that could distract other people in what is a communal event. [/b][/quote]
If you are a Catholic or any religion similar you will know God quite cares. I mean didn't he (again of if you're a Catholic) send down his only Son to redeem us for our sins. That shows He cares. So dress appropriately when you go to Church. :flower: But when you see someone dressed inappropriately don't judge or insult, just concentrate on worship. As Jesus said "He who has no sin cast the first stone." :smile:

So dress appropriately when you go to Church

Yes, but it doesn't mention anywhere what is 'appropriate' or that God cares about what you wear - he cares about your sins, which is an entirely different matter, but your dress sense is not one of them. Being Christian means following the way of Christ and Christ didn't once mention appropriate clothing once (in fact I seem to remember he spent quite a lot of time in a loincloth if the images of him used by the Church are accurate).

i hate church to be honest.......it couldnt be more boring i stopped going when i was about 14. i refuse to go even at christmas time

but thats besides the point
i dont think the priest would be too thrilled to see somebody in a 'jesus is my homeboy' tee

or the 'jesus is coming.......hide the p*rn' one

:lol:

Being Christian means following the way of Christ and Christ didn't once mention appropriate clothing once.
I don't memorize the Bible but probably he did not directly once mention but did "sub" mention.

(in fact I seem to remember he spent quite a lot of time in a loincloth if the images of him used by the Church are accurate).

That was because the Church uses the Cross as its symbol (to symbolise redemption I suppose) and he was in a loincloth when they crucified him.

Yes, but it doesn't mention anywhere what is 'appropriate' or that God cares about what you wear - he cares about your sins, which is an entirely different matter, but your dress sense is not one of them.
If Jesus drove out the vendors at the temple do you think he would want to see sexy dressing or hooker gear?

Vendors are not hookers - they have comitted a sin that Jesus directly declaimed. Jesus never declaimed 'hookers'. In fact Jesus sat with the 'hookers' and thieves... You can say that people should dress 'appropriately' for the people around them in Church but essentially their is absolutely no evidence to show that God itself is bothered.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Apr 25th, 2004 - 2:37 pm
Vendors are not hookers - they have comitted a sin that Jesus directly declaimed. Jesus never declaimed 'hookers'. In fact Jesus sat with the 'hookers' and thieves... You can say that people should dress 'appropriately' for the people around them in Church but essentially their is absolutely no evidence to show that God itself is bothered.
I never said vendors are hookers. I was just showing how Jesus treats the Church as sacred. :flower:

For Catholics, in Holy Mass (The ceremony that goes on in Church) God/Jesus is present there. If you're going to meet the President you won't be dresses poorly, what more God?

If I went to meet the president I wouldn't dress well for him. As I'm a not a US citizen this isn't suprising. However, if I went to meet Tony Blair or the Queen I wouldn't dress well for them either. This is more to do with the fact that I don't care much for Tony Blair or the Queen.

However, if what you meant was if I met someone I respected more than anyone else (ie God) then wouldn't I dress well? Yes, I would but God isn't person and I find it hard to believe that the ultimate being is bothered about my dress or even my respect for him (it). Jesus was rarely bothered about appearances or manners - he generally cared more about how rich you are. If I roll into Church wearing my best suit it would be quite clear that I have committed the sin of greed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inale
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->