What to wear to a job interview

I agree, nothing wrong with being young :wink:

I think what you want to convey in an interview outfit is that you're serious, and that you're there to work. For a fashion job, you want to convey your fashion sense as well.

When I'm interviewing, I like to see that people made an effort, but I don't want them to be ridiculously overdressed or too serious.

When I interview, I'm always trying not to look intimidating :P so sometimes I break a few rules. For awhile my interview outfit was a black knit dress (it had 2 or 3 giant white polka dots) & black cardigan, black heeled pumps. Lately I've been wearing black dress pants, with flats if I'm interviewing in a casual atmosphere.

What to wear to an interview

I have an interview with Urban Outfitters on Wednesday and I'm not sure what I should wear. Help! Do I stick with a suit or down play it a little?

^I think you should downplay a little. Maybe a really clean, nice pair of darkwash denim, a nice blouse, and a neutral jacket over it?

What about to an interview at a restaurant? The restaurant's located in one of the terminals in an airport. I have a suit jacket and black slacks, but that might be too business-y for the job, right?

I am going to an interview for a marketing internship with a very high profile fashion house, what should I wear?! I am a business major, so all of the instruction we get is geared for very corporate companies, so I don't know how far I can stray from that. Is a black pant suit with a colored blouse okay? Or should I do something fashion forward like a high waisted skirt?

^ I think that since you're a business major you should look a little less businessy. I would try to show some flair :wink: Do you have a jacket to wear with the skirt?

Yeah, I have some blazers, I can wear a different colored jacket with my skirt right? that's a no-no at the biz school, but i feel like all one color is too uniformy..

^ Yes, I think so. What I just bought to wear for interviewing (not in the fashion industry) is a black jacket to wear with a black skirt I already owned. The colors match (you know how blacks don't always :wink:), but the textures are different. The jacket is a tweedy wool with two origami bows that come together when you fasten it, 3/4 sleeves, and a peplum. It has a 60s vibe to it, so even though it's kind of a suit, it doesn't have any of that business school aura ... still a danger all these years after I've set foot in one :wink: In my industry, suits can look too uptight & be a turnoff.

Hi! I have an interview as a sales associate at a women's clothing store. I don't know what is considered appropriate for shoes. Should I stick to pumps or are ankle boots and heeled sandals okay as well? I was thinking of black high heel sandals with black tights, because I don't have black pumps.

^ Ankle boots might be better if it's still pretty cold? It's a little hard to say without seeing the options, but I feel like you shouldn't have to buy new shoes for a retail interview ... Maybe you could wear nice slacks and the boots.

^ Thanks fashionista-ta! The ankle boots are actually a very deep plum rather thank black, But I hope it'll be ok. I tried on the sandals and think they are not conservative enough for an interview. And you're right, I don't want to buy new shoes just for an interview at a retail store.

^ I think that's fine (the deep plum) ... sounds lovely in fact. Maybe you can even pick the color up in what you wear on top ...

hi everyone - i have an interview as an assistant buyer at a well-known department store, and i have noooo clue what to wear to it! obviously, i'd like to look neat and professional, but i also want to convey my own personal style (which tends to be a bit more casual, messy/urban...alexander wang-esque) at the same time. any suggestions as to what i should wear would be greatly appreciated! also, are high heels (closed toe, black rounded toes) inappropriate - i.e. should i stick to a lower, more subtle shoe?

thank you very much!

As it's a fashion-related job, I think high-heels are expected:wink: Fashion insiders are permitted to have a more creative professional style than most. I think you ought to go for the standard job interview guidelines (read: modest and conservative outfit, tidy hair and 'safe' makeup), but you can definitely show facets of your personal style, whether it's through the cut of a jacket, or your accessories. Alexander Wang seems to be the last designer to reference for a job-interview outfit, as his designs are very casual and yet provocative, but I'm sure some of his separates are appropriate. For a job interview: urban, yes. Casual/messy, no. Good luck!

I have one tomorrow and Im gonna dress chic. An dark gray kneelengh dress with black silk tights, in combination with an dark oversize blazer .I dont know which shoes cuz I have so many:lol: But definitively with heels.
Ah and some golden costume jewelry to put some highlights into the darkness:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a job interview with Urban Outfitters and was wondering if anyone can help me with 'what should i wear?'
Thanks.

^ Wear something that shows them your style. After all, it is Urban Outfitters. You can never go wrong with a cute black blazer. Maybe a pair of heels.

Since I don't know what's in your closet, just wear something trendy.

nicestthing as suggested go for something trendy, if you noticed what the sales assistants were wearing go one step smarter than what they were dressed like.

i have a interview at the shoe shop office now im not concerned about what clothes to wear but do i wear a pair of offices brand shoes or just a nice pair of shoes in general? (it might help to mention most of my shoes seem to be from office anyway:ninja:)

^ Since you have them, I would most def. wear them :wink: I wouldn't buy a pair of company-specific shoes just for an interview though.

Oh, and I very much like your advice about one step up from what the SAs are wearing ...

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, i have my whole outfit planned, now all i have to do is just get through the interview:P

i've always used that one step up from the SA's advice since theres alot of stores that dont have a uniform anymore and it can get abit confusing as what to wear.

I just got an interview on Wednesday with a fashion stylist for an internship. And I wanted to know how I should dress for the interview? The application said casual and the job description is as follows: "An interest in fashion and styling. Must be articulate, polite, well dressed, well mannered, can think on your feet and multitask." He's seems to be very trendy and works for some pretty big designers. I feel like I should dress nice. How trendy should I be?

p.s. sorry I have posted this in multiple threads. The fashion business forum seemed like a good place to post as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->