• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What to Wear to a Wedding (Your Own & As a Guest)

could it be pronovias? that's a big bridal company

that's good :flower:

ok, thanks for this info, really helps.

before i bought my house, i had all these great ideas for decorating it--& they were good ideas. but when i chose a particular house, then appropriateness came into play, & some of those ideas became irrelevant. my house is 1920s english cottage style, very sweet ... & nothing edgy about it. so i found i really needed to tone done some of my ideas ... it's just a simple house & it likes simple things. it probably won't be my last house ... i'll have other opportunities to try other things, perhaps. but i realized i could just let go of some of my ideas, & that would be fine.

so you also have a very specific & unique wedding planned & i would just let it speak to you. at the same time bearing in mind that you will be wearing this dress, not the bush camp :wink:

so few thoughts ... the sketch does not look to be of a dress that will allow you to move freely. i would think you'd want a full skirt for that, possibly tea length. if you're concerned about dirt, my first move would be to keep it off the ground.

secondly, the color needs to be flattering on you most importantly, whatever it is. my impression based on the colors you wear is that a dusty earthtone may not be so good on you. what about oyster white?

third, if it were me, i'd probably just go for it with an african-inspired dress, & buy the lacy white stuff for the wedding night. you could always renew your vows in a traditional western gown. i think you're right that for this particular occasion, one & only one dress is appropriate.

otoh, if anything else just doesn't seem right, if you must have a traditional lacy dress, then do that, make it something you can move in that won't drag on the ground.

remember that the honor is all in your heart :flower: this is really just about what you truly want to be wearing on this day in this place.
Thank you very much for your input. I think I need to decide first and foremost if I truly want a true African inspired dress or a western one. Seems like the two can't mesh for me.

Right now I will definitely say "an African dress" and that would mean starting back to square one. It's scary but I think it truly is what I want.

Re the western dress for renewal: our family want something in Europe and we already had in mind to do something here for our 10 years anniversary. I think we will do just that and I will enjoy the lingerie shopping in the mean time haha

Colour: you are absolutely right. I have chocolate skin with gold undertone. I need to pin my Mac foundation. I will look into oyster white, and will probably try to incorporate some blue (turquoise?) or some orange based red. Blue + white would be a dream for my fiancé :smile:

Length: I have never tried anything in length in between the knees and below my ankle. Don't even know if it will look good but.. I really don't want to destroy my dress on my wedding day.. I so wanted a train though. Will save it for the western ceremony :smile:

All in all, great advices ta-ta. Will keep you updated :flower:
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you guys know a lot about wedding dresses or wedding dress companies?

This is a really weird request but my mother always had wedding dress magazines around when I was growing up. I saw an ad that I think was 1990s or at the most, early 2000s.

It's an Italian bridal dress company (I think). When I think of the name I think of a long Italian sounding name starting with P. (I could be wrong, old memory).

The ad is of a woman with her back turned to the camera and she's looking over her shoulder to the camera. She is standing in front of a man who (I think) is facing the camera, and has her hand on his shoulder.

She is wearing a Renaissance type dress, tight bodice, possibly laced at the back, hanging sleeves with details on the edges, etc. (Similar style to this: http://weddings-paradise.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Renaissance-wedding-gowns.gif)

The reason I ask is because I know it's an incredibly long shot but this was my dream dress as a kid. I really thought I kept the picture but don't know where it is now. I live in Canada, so I'd assume the brand was based in North America.

do we have a place in magazines where you can ask? does justaguy have any bridal magazines? :lol:

could it be pronovias? that's a big bridal company

Thank you. That was very nice of you. I tried to Google 'pronovias' in many different types of searches/ sentences but couldn't find it. Pronovias seems to have many ads with just a single girl, and they seem to have very modern, streamlined dresses.

This was a very complicated, overly romantic dress in the Renaissance style. Lots of flowers/details etc. The woman has her back to the camera and looks over her shoulder, and is standing against a man's chest. I think it's a very long, complicated, ethnic sounding company name. :lol: Oh sigh, I hope I have the old scan somewhere in my parents' house.

you might be better off going to a flagship library and viewing old bridal periodicals back to the 90's and 00's then..

my library stocks back issues from magazines for reference....

you might also ask your mom if she remembers what specific subscriptions she ordered...

i am ging to have a beach wedding this autumn.
what do you think of this dress?
tumblr_mp9pl77sbI1rqn319o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mp9pl77sbI1rqn319o2_500.jpg

image1xxl.jpg

it needs another belt and shortening but what do you think?

(my pic ( uploaded at rotwest.tumblr.com) and asos.com)

^ Honestly, not really crazy about it. Not a fan of the belted look, and if lace, I would like it more luxurious ...

I agree with Ta-ta, and it seems like the dress is a little big for you, it swallows you.
I am sure you could find something more flattering for your petite frame.

what kind of belt might you want? a white belt?

I like it, the belt not though.
But I also wouldn't mind that the dress would be a bit more flowy/softer.

I agree with ta-ta and Jina. To me, the dress definitely swallows you and I would also have picked something that looked a little bit more luxurious.

There are several good lace options if you are on a tight budget ..

What do you think of this dress?
Credit: Simply dress 99$
ivory-dress-JU-46337-a.jpg

Or this one:
Credit: Milly bridal 180£
white-lace-floor-length-v-neck-sash-column-beach-wedding-dressbwd018.jpg

Credit: Milly dress 158£
trumpet-mermaid-scoop-lace-satin-sweep-train-white-buttons-wedding-dresses-d00016142.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I love the first option EvaH suggested, and I believe it's the most adequate for a beach wedding. The current dress does "swallow" you. Of course, it is your wedding day, and it is your dress to choose and wear - and love - but I guess you wouldn't be asking here if you were 100% sure :smile:

^haha yeah that´s true.
I had a couple of dresses here. But that one was the only one I could image me wearing.
I have this "perfect" dress on my mind, but can´t seem find it.
I don´t want it to look like a wedding dress. Thanks EvaH for the suggestions, but they aren´t my cup of tea. Too much "wedding" in those dresses.
I don´t have a tight budget, but I also don´t want to spent 2000€ on something I would wear only once.

I had this stunning dress last year, but sent it back. Back then I needed a dress for someone elses wedding, and it was too much of a wedding dress. But the dress isn´t available anymore.

what kind of belt might you want? a white belt?

Not sure about the color yet. Wanted to match it with his outfit.

I want a long dress with laces and not sleeveless (My breast is too small, dresses slip off). hmpf...

Thanks everyone for your reply!

What does this perfect dress look like? Maybe we could find it for you :smile: Congratulations and good luck with the whole thing ! I postponed mine as there is no way I would be ready by the deadline :smile: I give myself 2-3 more years to work on it!

Hm floor-long, flowy, laces.... It should look great on photos... and on me.
I´m pretty short, so floor-long dresses are usually too long for me.

IMO if you are quite short & thin and want a floor length gown then it should not be flowy but tight and enhance your curves. Or else you will have the same issue than with the asos one: you will be drown in it.

If you still want it long & flowy then your best chance is to go custom made so it will be perfect for your body :flower:

^ you think so? hm... have to think about that...
can´t it be tight and flowy at the same time?
like tight at the top/breast area and flowy at the skirt part?
I would go with a hi-lo dress, too...
hmmm hmm hmmm

Yes that's exactly what I mean: fitted at the bodice and flowy afterwards. But it all depend of your body shape. Maybe you need/want something fitted let's say at your cleavage/boobs areas and flowy afterwards or maybe something fitted up until your waist and then flowy or up to your hips etc.. Depend on what look best on you & what you like :smile:
Best of luck :flower:

Hi myown...

you say you want a floor length gown, but you also mention that you're short and floor length gowns are usually too long for you. :flower: are you fixed on the idea of a floor length dress?

In any case, i did a bit of browsing for you.... bcbg have some quite nice, affordable options that fit your description of white lace and floor length. what do you think? :heart:

http://www.bcbg.com/Avi-Pleated-Gow...var_NQR6U561-114_color=114&cgid=&navid=search

http://www.bcbg.com/Runway-Bijou-Dr...var_JAY6W933-114_color=114&cgid=&navid=search

i think the first one in particular is quite beautiful and seems more fitted on top so perhaps you wouldn't get lost in it quite the way you are in the dress you posted. i also think it's a bit less generic with the pleating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->