• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What to wear to work

What to wear to work/workwear inspiration

I don't know if there is a thread on this yet, but I thought it would be a good idea to discuss workwear as opposed to casualwear ( i.e. no jeans!).

I'm a college student who started an internship last year. I've found it's a lot harder to dress fashionably for work as there are more restrictions, e.g. not too many accessories, more conservative styles etc. However I don't want to fall into the trap of throwing on a random colored shirt and a pair of black trousers everyday.

I'm a lawyer. I'm fortunate that my firm isn't too stuffy and conservative, but it does have its limits which I test occasionally. If I am going to court I will wear a suit and if I have clients I will at least wear smart office, including but not limited to the following:

- crisp white shirt
- dove grey shirt
- pale blue shirt
- beige shirt
- green and white pinstriped shirt (sounds worse than it looks!)
- yellow floral shirt
- black shirt (looking for a replacement as my current one is a bit worse for wear)
- black skivvies
- various plain singlets and more interesting tops in assorted colours (for summer mainly)
- beige silk sleeveless top and black silk sleeveless top (yep, the same thing in two different colours, I am turning into my grandmother!)
- 3 different styles of black cardigan
- 2 different grey cardigans
- short-sleeved cardigans for summer in black, grey, pale blue and cream
- black thin woollen V-neck jumper and polo neck jumper
- black man-style trousers
- grey wool vest
- taupe silk skirt
- black silk skirt
- navy silk skirt
- grey A-line cotton skirt
- cream pleated A-line cotton skirt
- black shirtdress
- navy A-line silk sundress with diagonal fine stripes
- black tuxedo jacket
- black cotton twill jacket
- cream cotton twill jacket
- 2 different beige trench coats: one silk and fitted, one looser and deconstructed
- black trench coat
- mustardy-tan 1970s leather trench coat
- black patent almond-toe heels
- nude patent almond-toe heels
- pale pink patent almond-toe heels
- black leather pointy heels, black leather 4-inch almond-toe heels and black leather round-toe heels (these ones are 1940s)
- cream leather 4-inch almond-toe heels
- tan leather peeptoes
- brown leather 1950s round-toe lizard-skin heels
- red patent leather Mary Jane heels
- black ballet flats
- other assorted heels and flats
- black patterned tights and black woollen tights
- sheer pantyhose in black and nude
- opaques and cotton cable knit tights in different colours
- assorted scarves, hats etc

These are the things I find myself wearing the most, anyway. I have found that since working full-time and doing long hours I have got into a bit of a routine (or rut) and have a big pool of items and pull items from that list into some sort of workable outfit.

My personal uniform for work :lol:

p1010054ap5.jpg

Thankfully I work in an office that isn't too strict about what we wear.

(even less so now that our building is reducing energy consumption and has the heating on for less time, we were basically told we could wear casual dress until the weather heats up)

I generally wear black pants or a black pencil skirt, tights if it's cold, blouses and cardigans. Heels or smart flats, depending on my mood! I've ordered some pieces from our corporate wardrobe (we get a $800 worth of uniform for free), but I'm not sure when that will arrive. I didn't like much of it, but there were some nice off-white tie neck blouses that I'm interested in!

^ :woot: Free clothes!!! :lol: I have never gotten free clothes from work ... but back in the day when I worked in retail, I did get a very substantial discount ...

Can I wear these at work in a concervative inviroment and I'm at a top position. I mean -aren't the pants too wide /almost like skirt/ so in a way estravagant?:blush:
pict NAP

Attachments

• 31810_fr_l.jpg
    31810_fr_l.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 30907_in_l.jpg
    30907_in_l.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 28804_fr_l.jpg
    28804_fr_l.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1
aris, IMO it's the shirt that's questionable b/c it's visible above the table/desk & might be distracting. I can see a guy (or gal, let's be equal opportunity here :wink:) not getting it & sitting there thinking, "What is wrong with that shirt???" :huh::huh: To me the pants seem OK, but I haven't seen them on ... I like my skirts fairly long, and some are close to the floor if I don't have them hemmed ... you could view that as conservative :wink: And I think it's OK to sweep into the room a bit if you're in a top position :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
fashionista-ta, thank you for your advise - I see your point on the shirt, never thought about it, though, Thank you!

^ aris, I had one other thought after I posted this ... if you're ever in a position where you want to befuddle the not-very-sophisticated opposition :ninja: :innocent:this shirt would be perfect for that :D

luckily my jobs let me wear whatever i want. they'd like it more if i dressed up, but i can pretty much wear whatever.

^ aris, I had one other thought after I posted this ... if you're ever in a position where you want to befuddle the not-very-sophisticated opposition :ninja: :innocent:this shirt would be perfect for that :D

hahahaha:rofl::rofl::rofl:

^ :woot: Free clothes!!! :lol: I have never gotten free clothes from work ... but back in the day when I worked in retail, I did get a very substantial discount ...

I know, it's crazy :lol: Granted, the clothes really aren't that exciting... But they're free so who cares?! :lol:

i work in a corporate office but it's not very "corporate" in terms of the dress code. you get everything from full on suits to flip flops here (even tho you're not supposed to wear them). it's a mix of ppl wearing what they want and dressing for their position or the one they hope to get.

sometimes i dress up....which usually means a jersey dress a la DVF or a pencil skirt and fitted sweater/jersey top. soooo boring. i let my personality shine through my shoes. :D

What to wear at work???

Sorry for open this thread but irt would be nice that we can share tips about how to wear at the office.

Thanks

A neutral pencil skirt, fitted blazer and a bold or printed blouse under the blazer for some added color. You could also do a nice solid color heel for some interest or even a nice pointed flat (if you don't want to be torturing your feet all day :P). Jewelry should be kept simple, so a single necklace, some diamond earrings, and a ring would be cute.

Please be my stylists: what to wear for a new job?

I will start in a new job in two weeks, and I just don`t know what to buy. It`s my first job after my graduation, I´m going to be in office, surrounded with lot of students, cause it`s school. So the enviroment is kinda casual, no need for really formal clothing. But I want to look good and clean, yet trendy and young. What do you recommend ?

I have this usual situation, my closets are full of clothes, and I have nothing to wear. Reason is I buy stupid things, nothing fits together, nothing really flatters me. Spring is coming, and now is my time to wear nicely.

I will start in a new job in two weeks, and I just don`t know what to buy. It`s my first job after my graduation, I´m going to be in office, surrounded with lot of students, cause it`s school. So the enviroment is kinda casual, no need for really formal clothing. But I want to look good and clean, yet trendy and young. What do you recommend ?

I have this usual situation, my closets are full of clothes, and I have nothing to wear. Reason is I buy stupid things, nothing fits together, nothing really flatters me. Spring is coming, and now is my time to wear nicely.

I assume you`re under thirty, but not a teenager anymore. If that is so: a confortable and moderate heels (but, please, no flats), a skirt aorund the knee (a pencil style, but not so tight and confortable) or trousers with a fancy style (I mean, not a simple cut jeans or something), and a blouse that holds perspiration (I assume, also, it is a fullday job) and that is feminine. Balck and white would no be so good as a light brown/pastel dominant colors. No skarfs, small earrings, delicate rings and bracelets, nothing to strong or heavy.

Good look

Marina Carmens

I would wait till you start & see what others are wearing. Then see what you have in your closet that would work & use that as a starting point. For information about building a wardrobe, you might find our 4-5 piece French wardrobe thread helpful ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->