women's watch ...

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
what do you think about watches for women..?

do you wear one?..if so, what kind?...

or is it really not something you care about...?
you just check the time on your phone, etc...

wondering what people think...
is it still fashionable to wear a watch and do stylish ladies lust after watches the way men do?...

discuss amongst yourselves...
:P...:flower:

I use a mens watch, but I prefer to call it unisex:P

But since I'm not really wearing it to check the time I do feel stupid whenever I ask someone what time it is not realizing I'm wearing a watch:doh:

Personally I don't lust after watches the way some guys I know do...but then they have watches that cost the same as a car and I'd never spend that on a watch.

But do I wear one...and love it? Yes. And did I lust over it for quite a few years before I bought it? Yes again.

It's from Hermes...I think it's called the Hour watch (?)...and it has an extra long strap that I can wrap twice around my wrist. When I had to send it away to get the battery changed (6 weeks, but that's another story) I missed it tremendously.

^ Another story that I want to hear :shock: How come you couldn't get it changed locally? Will Hermes stores service their watches? I really like their watches, but so far haven't bought one.

For some reason ... well, I guess it was because when I first started wearing a watch, I tried the kind with links, and the bracelet pulled the little hairs out of my arm :doh: So ever since I've worn leather bands. I have a Michelle watch, among others, and I love being able to change the band. The only thing I don't like is that it's one of the smaller ones, and they don't have a full selection of bands in size 12. I really wanted a purple croc band for it ...

I have always worn a watch right from when I was little. I have no idea if it's fashionable or not but for me it's a necessity. I don't always have my phone with me and sometimes there's no clock around and I need to keep an eye on the time for my job.

I have three watches at present: a modern unisex Swatch, a 1946 men's rose gold Longines (bought a few years ago) and a no-name men's rose gold watch from late 1910s-early 1920s (it has faint engraving on the back which seemed like it was a present from someone around 1918, but not 100% sure) my dad bought me for my 14th birthday. My dog decided to chew it when he was a puppy and now it has teeth marks in the back. Still works though :lol:

I love looking at old watches but I don't need any more. I don't think I could spend thousands on one.

I've worn watches most of my life as well, from my first wind up cookie monster watch (that I still have but do not wear) to my current cartier santos demoiselle. I had a long period of no watches after high school when my parents gave me a beautiful gucci watch for graduation that only lasted a few years before needing major work. I was fed up with getting new ones all the time and tried being minimal and doing without, but I decided a few years ago to search for the perfect watch. When I found it I saved for it a little while, both to make it an easy purchase and to be sure I really loved it.

As far as men go, I was chatting with a friend just the other day and he felt a watch was the only bit of jewelry men can get by with these days. While I'm sure many men disagree, his opinion made the watch obsession make sense to me.

I always wore a watch for when I learnt to tell the time until I was about 16, and the one I had broke and I never replaced it. I always have my phone or ipod on me, so I can tell the time from that. Plus, I am really forgetful so would end up leaving it somewhere.

I think for quite alot of men (particularly in certain occupational circles) watches are a status symbol, kind of in the same some women carry a several thousand pound hanbag as a symbol. I guess traditionally, watches are also a more 'male' thing as fathers used to pass their watches on to their son

i ditched my watch a few years ago and haven't missed it.

although i have a fond recollection of the super-thin, feminine watches my mother wore in the 80s.

I wear the same watch as Hebden - mine is taupe coloured.

wow-
i guess people who like watches get NICE watches...
cause it sounds like you all have really really nice ones...

:P...^_^

i had a movado museum watch in the 80's myself...
very slim with a blk lizard band...
i loved that watch...
and i still have it...
*i had wanted it ever since i was a kid and i saw it on ehxibit at MOMA...
it was like owning my first piece of art...
:heart:

but i haven't worn a watch now since around 1990...

the antique rose gold watches sound absolutely incredible though...
almost makes me think twice...
but i don't need any new obsessions to spend money on right now....
:innocent:...

I have always wanted a watch like this:

image7t.jpg

lovelylivtyler.com

If anybody knows who it is by, or what style it is please let me know! :heart:

^ Probably the same Hermes already mentioned in this thread?

I too have an antique rose gold men's tank watch, and a Deco diamond & I guess platinum women's watch with black silk cord band. A fancier version of the watch my grandmother wore. Old watches are absolutely gorgeous, but really fragile. You have to be really careful winding them, and any little knock that today's watches would survive with no problem can take them out. Neither of my antique watches is in working order at the moment :innocent: In my limited experience, the men's watches seem to be a little tougher ...

I don't wear a watch since ca. 2000. Only because my old one broke and I haven't found a replacement yet. I don't care about most affordable women's watches (I find all that ornaments and glitter quite hideous) and men's watches look really odd and too eye-catching on my tiny wrists. I really like the one Belowen posted though. But when it comes to splurging, though I always go for clothes or shoes instead of a watch hehe I guess my mobile is doing it for me.

Softgrey I think you are right, I like a nice watch because they are beautiful like a piece of jewelry or your gorgeous sounding piece of art!

my bf gave me this watch as a Xmas present last year and i love it! i never thought i would wear such a big watch but i really like it. it is from Guess.
IMG_0703.JPGIMG_0712.JPGIMG_0713.JPG

^ Another story that I want to hear :shock: How come you couldn't get it changed locally? Will Hermes stores service their watches? I really like their watches, but so far haven't bought one.

Delayed response (sorry)...the 6 weeks was Hermes' service :shock:. In the US, all of their watches are sent to NY (even for a change of battery). When I dropped off the watch I was told that I was 'lucky' because it used to take 2 months and I may get mine back in 4 weeks.

Having said that, for $35 they replaced the battery...polished the stainless steel surrounding the watch face...and generally made it look like new. Not a bad deal considering that replacing the battery in my cheap-ish back-up watch cost around $20.

I have always wanted a watch like this:

lovelylivtyler.com

If anybody knows who it is by, or what style it is please let me know! :heart:

There's this French brand "Opex" that does a similar model called "Ballerine" with a double strap. It's a fraction of the Hermes.

X0391LA3-BS.jpg

(opexwatches)

It's the one I've been wearing for years and love it.

If I could, I'd get the Cartier but there's no way I'll put that amount of money on a watch...

watch of my teenage, college, and early adult years.

older swiss army officers watch (one on the right)

3297391975_f917b79971.jpg

pic from flickr

the wrap around hermes will be mine one day.

i love the swiss army watches eeyore...
i always wanted one...

i had forgotten until now...
thanks for the reminder...

^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back