Yoga

What age are most people that attend yoga classes? I really want to go but I don't want to be the only teenager there...

Has yoga helped with fat burn, anyone? :D
I don't think there's an appropriate age for doing yoga, I started when I was about 13 years old. About fat burning, I don't know, I do power yoga once a week (used to practice twice a week before) but I didn't put on weight (I didn't notice if I did :lol:) I wouldn't recommend it if your biggest aim is to lose weight :flower:

Thank you both very much! My bf's mom told me that her yoga class is filled with people 40 and above. I just wouldn't feel comfortable in that setting... :shock:

What age are most people that attend yoga classes? I really want to go but I don't want to be the only teenager there...

Has yoga helped with fat burn, anyone? :D

Most of the yoga classes I have attended have bee middle age to older women but there are always a few young people there. In high school my friend and I were always the youngest, but now I think more younger people are getting into it. You shouldn't not go for that reason though!

Bikram is too militaristic for me,not to mention having nearly fainted from the heat,not good.
I do Asthanga and it's so healing.I've noticed how much stronger my core is and my posture after 5 years of doing it.I can stand in long lines and not shift around at all.There is a pose for everything! Insomnia, constipation,stress,sadness, it is truly a healing prerogative in my life.

Bikram is too militaristic for me,not to mention having nearly fainted from the heat,not good.
I do Asthanga and it's so healing.I've noticed how much stronger my core is and my posture after 5 years of doing it.I can stand in long lines and not shift around at all.There is a pose for everything! Insomnia, constipation,stress,sadness, it is truly a healing prerogative in my life.

:lol:

I know it was serious, but I always giggle when I go to my college Yoga class and the instructor says "now we pose for constipation relief."

That's cool you take it in college! I always see girls with yoga mats on my campus they must be taking it too.I like the Sleeping Tortoise and Cow Face poses.I do my Boat Pose every day, also a squat.One of my teachers used to say,"squat every day,it's one of the natural human poses but since we sit up several feet off the floor to defecate,we are losing the benefits of squatting." :lol: true,so I do my squat.

That's cool you take it in college! I always see girls with yoga mats on my campus they must be taking it too.I like the Sleeping Tortoise and Cow Face poses.I do my Boat Pose every day, also a squat.One of my teachers used to say,"squat every day,it's one of the natural human poses but since we sit up several feet off the floor to defecate,we are losing the benefits of squatting." :lol: true,so I do my squat.

Well, it's not an actual class, like math class. It's more like an extra curricular activity that anyone can come in and join.

Yes! The squat is what we do! :lol:

And the instructor proved the point by telling us that when babies want to poop they instinctively squat down to do so.

People can joke the Japanese all they want about their very low toilets, at least they're not suffering from constipation.:lol:

actually one of my yoga friends said her Filipino mom squats on top of the toilet seat...quite a feat! I like to do lotus,then you lean forward, cross your arms behind your back and grab the opposite big toes,then put your head on the floor/mat. It's quite challenging but great to stretch out your back/legs/arms.

I´ve been doing yoga occasionally since I was 15. More and less regularly. I like how it´s calming, and body feels so stretched and relaxed after a class. But usually I skip yoga and do something more sweaty and cardio vascular, somehow that´s the only way I feel I´ve really been working out. I need that heart in throat-feeling, i guess.

^ That is exactly why I do Ashtanga and not a more relaxing, flowing type :wink:. More bang-for-the-buck

Yoga does WONDERS for skin and hair.

Ive seen a few threads on acne, and flawless skin, etc.

Honestly, it can be something you outgrow, and in some cases, its not b/c it's in the genes.

YOGA however is something I would HIGHLY recommend. Not only do you feel great, it actually changed everything about my skin too.

Of course your yogi will tell you to have a healthy diet. i.e. cut down on junk, drink water and fresh juices and even MORE importantly, get a good nights sleep.
Meaning, sleep at a good hour so you wake up for breakfast. (this helps with dark eye circle problems too)

I speak out of experience, I kid you not.

I love yoga, been doing it for 5 years now. Have to make sure to take one day off a week though,according to traditional astanga guidelines.Also not to do it during heavy menstruation,inversions during menstruation,do it on an empty stomach.It really has changed my life.

I love yoga and the feeling after I`ve done it. But, I have this problem: I usually skip the yoga, because I have only limited time to exercise, so I always think it is more useful to use it on cardio and sculpting. Now, I have tried more intensive yoga, it really makes me sweat and even out of breath. Can I replace my usual work outs with this yoga without worries? I really know yoga isn`t easy, but still something in the back of my head says: Do real work outs!!

Thing is I really, really enjoy it, and I wonder if it could change my body and mind.

I can only speak from my experience and my body-I totally believe that everyBODY is different (lifestyle, history, genes, diet..etc) but YES. I did. I replaced my 'gym' workouts with a heavy-workout orientated yoga style. We do a lot of bodyweight-type exercises and there's no way I could lift or bench or squat 100-ish :innocent: pounds at the gym. I cut down on my cardio but I did not eliminate it completely; and part of that is just mental...my hangup. I do more short, intensive bursts and also take a good nice walk at least once a week. But I'm doing Ashtanga 5-6 days a week for 2+hrs and it still kicks my a**. I used to be a total gym rat, by the way.
namaste :flower:

^Thank you for your answer. Every celeb and model says they got their body "just doing little yoga", and however the reality is almost all of them do a lot more than just it. So this has got me thinking if it is only over-hyped and fashionable atm. This being said, I`m not after model body at all, but I still want results from my training. This far I haven`t practised yoga regularly enough to make my own conclusions. But this thread has definitely been useful to me.

HI everyone! :D

I've been reading about tones of people doing yoga, and they look all great.
Two years ago, i bought a small book about it, did it for a few days but i didnt like it was a work out... So i decided to move on to pilates and aerobics.

For some time now, i've been feeling like sh*t, i dont eat well, am tired, dont feel well and add to that the cold i just caught, i want to change my routine.
Is yoga a real workout? I think ill still continue pilates and aerobics, but is there a kind of yoga that is "intense"?(is bikram intense?) Does anyone know any good sites that explain routines (so i can do it at home, theres no gym for that here) and the base of yoga (someone here just mentionned about the spiritual and nutritional side) ?

Thank you to anyone with answers :smile: and sorry if theres dumb questions, im a newbie. :P

Honestly I don't think that one can really teach themselves or "try" yoga from a book, video, or gym class. For a once in awhile thing to add to your workout, yeah, & if you already have some experience with it, sure but to really TRY yoga as a workout, it should be done with a yoga teacher at a yoga studio. Try a Bikram or Ashtanga class and see what you think! I'm sure you'll come back and agree it's a workout. Even if you just do it for a short period you'll learn more than trying to do it on your own.
I wasted years doing 'here & there' yoga online, at the fitness center, videos, etc and I couldn't see what the big deal was. Now I get it & am a cert. teacher.
Don't worry about changing around your mind or diet b/c those seem to happen naturally when you're into it.

^ that's cool you're a teacher :D

Ok, I'll look into a real class, but maybe still try a few things "here and there" until I find one :smile:
Bikram sounds interesting, I think I'd get a kick out of it, what is ashtanga?

The thing is there's so many different kind of yoga classes.
A few years ago, i used to attend one at a fitness club and it was more like a stretching class. There were a pregnant woman in the assistance. I found it boring and I quit after a few lessons.
Now I'd like to make another try in a real yoga center, for a more demanding class. But, as I said before I feel a bit confused with all the different kind of yaga classes existing

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->