2011 CFDA Awards

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
Last night, The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) announced the nominees and honorees for the 2011 CFDA Fashion Awards at an exclusive event hosted by Nadja Swarovski and CFDA President Diane von Furstenberg at the designer’s studio in the Meatpacking District. Von Furstenberg started the proceedings by acknowledging the 10th anniversary of Swarovski underwriting the event and thanking Nadja for her continued support of American fashion. Von Furstenberg and Steven Kolb, CFDA executive director, then made the announcements of nominees and honorees, which for the first-time ever were streamed live on facebook.com/swarovski and style.com/live.

This year’s nominees reflect the depth of accomplishment of American fashion and acknowledges the pervasive influence that a new generation of talent is having on the industry while also celebrating the masters of design.

“There is no other event that puts the spotlight on American fashion like The CFDA Fashion Awards,” said Steven Kolb, CFDA executive director. “We look forward to once again honoring the best and brightest talent working today. Winning a CFDA Fashion Award is the highest and one of the most coveted honors one can receive in our industry. All of this is made possible by the long-time support of Swarovski, who we are pleased to be celebrating our tenth anniversary with this year. Their support and involvement with the Awards over the years has been invaluable.”

“This year, Swarovski is honored to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our partnership with the CFDA Fashion Awards,” said Nadja Swarovski, Vice President of International Communications & Creative Director. “We are excited for each of this year’s stellar nominees; the group includes such diverse and extraordinary talent. We are particularly proud of each designer nominated for a Swarovski Award. They are the perfect example of emerging American design talent and have displayed a keen sense for the future of fashion.”

The 2011 CFDA Fashion Awards winners will be announced at the annual gala, generously underwritten by Swarovski, on June 6 at Alice Tully Hall at Lincoln Center.

Womenswear Designer of the Year

Jack McCollough & Lazaro Hernandez for Proenza Schouler
Alexander Wang
Marc Jacobs

Menswear Designer of the Year
Michael Bastian
Patrik Ervell
Simon Spurr

Accessories Designer of the Year
Jack McCollough & Lazaro Hernandez for Proenza Schouler
Alexander Wang
Reed Krakoff

Swarovski Award for Womenswear
Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen
Joseph Altuzarra
Prabal Gurung

Swarovski Award for Menswear
Phillip Lim
Alexander Wang
Robert Geller

Swarovski Award for Accessories
Alejandro Ingelmo
Eddie Borgo
Jason Wu
Pamela Love

Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award
Marc Jacobs

Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award
Marc Jacobs

CFDA Board of Directors Special Tribute
Arthur Elgort

Fashion Icon Award
Lady Gaga

Eugenia Sheppard Media Award
Hilary Alexander, The Telegraph

Eleanor Lambert Founders Award
Hal Rubenstein, InStyle

International Award
Phoebe Philo, Celine

looks like some stiff competition!

do you guys think the olsen twins are there because they're good/better than other potential nominees? or does it sort of stink of a publicity vehicle?

marc jacobs seems so young to be getting a lifetime achievement award, but he's definitely done a lot and achieved a lot through his entire career so i can't say it's not deserved

i tell you,the CFDA seriously needs to open itself up and start honouring international talents because it just gets weaker and weaker and more lame every year. just so predictable.

as far as robert geller,yeah i'm glad that he's finally got that sort of attention. unfortunately,they're about three years behind. secondly,to put him up against two nominees who aren't even remotely well-known for their menswear is appalling and i question the legitimacy of this voting body.

How many of these damn awards has Marc Jacobs gotten already? Glad to see Phoebe is getting an award. She completely deserves it.

Glad to see the list! Hope the Proenza guys win something!

I don't think Reed Krakoff deserves any award, he barely did something special last few seasons.

Fashion Icon Award - Lady Gaga? Is this a joke? :shock:

With that small amount of designers getting nominated they might as well limit this whole thing to 5 categories instead of nominating the same designers for every category. I really don't think Wang deserves to be nominated for his menswear. Actually, I wouldn't nominate him for the womenswear categories either but I can understand why they would with all the hype it gets. I hope the Proenza guys win both awards they're nominated for ^_^

Fashion Icon Award - Lady Gaga? Is this a joke? :shock:

With that small amount of designers getting nominated they might as well limit this whole thing to 5 categories instead of nominating the same designers for every category [...] I hope the Proenza guys win both awards they're nominated for ^_^

That's just what I was thinking.
Surely someone can't be considered an icon unless they prove that they're still relevant in 20 years time?

Are Rodarte not eligible for a nomination?

i tell you,the CFDA seriously needs to open itself up and start honouring international talents because it just gets weaker and weaker and more lame every year. just so predictable.

as far as robert geller,yeah i'm glad that he's finally got that sort of attention. unfortunately,they're about three years behind. secondly,to put him up against two nominees who aren't even remotely well-known for their menswear is appalling and i question the legitimacy of this voting body.

The nominees is such a small number, I really wonder why the bother hosting this. Just imagine if a nominee couldn't make it on the night, who'd be turning up then.

^frankly,it's irksome how they consistently manage and managed this year to leave talents like tess giberson,gary graham,tom scott,maria cornejo,ohne titel etc. off their radars.

let's face it you guys,icon.....there is no substance to that term anymore anyway. it gets bandied about so frivolously these days,i don't think many even know what the real meaning is anymore. now had it been,say,patti smith,who is a true icon and truly influential,i would have bought that to the nth degree.

and don't you all think it's a little too convenient that in years before they've never had such an award but suddenly as gaga has come to prominence they want to give an icon award?

btw,what happened to the newcomer award?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it would be embarrassing if the Olsens won. :ninja:

hmmm i was quite intrigued with Reed Krakoff at the beginning but the collection is so blah. bags are good but thats about it?

Why is the Row up for a newcomer award when it's been out several years already?

Why are people surprised? American fashion hasn't moved forward in years. Alexander Wang and Proenze Schouler are the most "fashion forward" designers they have, so it's no surprise they're nominated.
Meanwhile Marc Jacobs remains as Anna W's b*tch. She officially owns him now. These awards have become somewhat irrelevant.

I wonder why Rodarte was left out? They had a great FW collection.

Booooooooooooring! Irrelevaaant! Repetitive! Reading the CFDA's nominee's list is like watching a Decarnin's Balmain collection: nothing new, always the same, and it gets more and more tiring over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->