3.1 Phillip Lim Resort 2013

Prairie

Reaction score
NEW YORK, June 5, 2012
By Matthew Schneier

Phillip Lim has a green thumb and a New Yorker's limited real estate. At his Manhattan apartment, he's coaxed a full garden into bloom on his fire escape. "A Charlie Brown garden," he called it. Charlie may never win, but Lim did, with a strong collection this time around.

The floral influence was everywhere—even in the intarsia'd leopard prints, which on inspection turned out to be made of flowers, too—but it was mixed with a clean, palate-cleansing blankness and rigor. "Flutility" was Lim's word for it. The utility came through in khaki Mao suits of tapered pants and strict, high-buttoning tops, but their stringency was tempered by appliquéd raffia blossoms. The cocooning shape of skirts was inspired by petals, but they came not in soft fabrics but laminated pigskin, which had the oil-slick feel of hot pavement. Resort may be a vacationer's collection, but Lim's girls are urbanites through and through. "It's a pseudo vacation," he said. "Our make-believe staycation. How do you take a vacation when you're in the studio all night?"

There was a sunny, island flavor to the sorbet-colored shorts suits corseted with inset rope and dangling fringe, but for the most part, this stark, mostly neutral offering had a workmanly spirit, plus a bit of make do and mend. (Not for nothing was all the denim shown "patched" with chain-linked sweater yarn.) The print of the season emphasized graphic lines borrowed, Lim explained, from city plans and maps. The staycation in action. But some got sweetened with a flowered overlay: a view of the city, seen by fire escape.

001m.jpg
002m.jpg

003m.jpg
004m.jpg

005m.jpg
006m.jpg

007m.jpg
008m.jpg

009m.jpg
010m.jpg

style

Some very cool stuff here. Love the black blouse in post #1. The all-white outfit with the mini skirt in the second set is cute and the coat in the last picture is awesome. It's quite an interesting and enjoyable collection.

Always such beautiful clothes from Lim, he's like the Dries van Noten of New York..

Not a fan of the applique/embroidery (it looks stuck on), but some fantastic little details such as the epaulettes that run the length of the sleeve or the little wrap cuffs on a blouse like on a denim jacket, or the little waist wrap on that white jacket, also in black.

I like the way he always uses tan, black, ivory - neutrals - as the foundation and then he adds jolts of colour and prints. This is a great resort collection; something for everyone. I bet it sells really well, yet it is interesting and creative too. Cool floral placement prints on the black/white striped pieces.

Not gonna lie, I quite snickered at those leather overalls. I love some leather pieces, but overalls are a little bit too much for me :lol:. I also don't like those striped looks, especially in combinations with flowery patterns, but apart from that I have very positive feeling for this collection.

Very, very strong collection. Some of it feels a bit Alexander Wang to me, but Lim does it better anyway, so I don't mind, lol.

Good mix of prints (loving some of those latter florals), beautifully structured timeless solid pieces, and his trademark subtle-whimsy (I'd never wear it, but I love the lip printed jumper) thrown in here. There's quite a lot to take in here for a Resort collection, which is awesome -- sometimes designer's resort collections feel like "filler" collections to me, but it's clear he put some serious time and effort into this. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->