A New Fashion Generation

Originally posted by Acid+May 23rd, 2004 - 6:08 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Acid @ May 23rd, 2004 - 6:08 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lena@May 23rd, 2004 - 8:32 am
as for the super ego/ flashy lifestyle kind of 'designer'.
excuses but i find both very 'old' and 'boring' attitudes
it is such a thing of the past, very 80s kind of glam :sick:
but Lena, that is what makes fashion so interesting. plus what is wrong with good designers admitting that they are the best :wink:

you have to admit that people like Karl and Vivienne who say crazy things make us laugh. maybe it was very 80's but it doesnt mean nobody else can ever be like this again.........what will happen when this 'modern' of today is passe B) [/b][/quote]
:shock: excuses acid, but -for me- it is craftmanship and originality in expressing ideas that makes fashion interesting, not a designer's quotes, theatrics or surreal extravagance. :ninja:

fashion is more than a circus that entertain and amazes us, its more than fat egos..
not too hard to get an inflated super ego, trust me acid, its the MOST easy thing in the world :P

I'm finding that I'm much more excited by really good craftsmanship, intellegence, and dedication to actual ideals that I am by anything else. I really don't want to read magazine interviews anymore and I really don't care what a designer was 'inspired' by season after season because I don't think I actually believe it anymore. When something is great, its great and I'm glad it enhances people's lives so they can do their own thing instead of getting attention because they're wearing the dress of some drugged out designer who said something silly in the press. I mean...at the end of the day, they are just dresses, right? Dresses that are easy to tear, that are usually flammable, that get dirty and have to be cleaned...lifeless pieces of fabric.

Perhaps I'm on to something else here--I need to go lie down in a darkened room or something.

I don't mind hearing of the personalities behind the work or even what's inspired them..but only as long as its in accordance to the clothes. That said,I also I don't care for celebutantes for whose lifestyles are often times more important than the clothes....hence Karl Lagerfeld,Galliano even sometimes McQueen's personal habits get talked about more.

Originally posted by Scott@May 24th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
I don't mind hearing of the personalities behind the work or even what's inspired them..but only as long as its in accordance to the clothes. That said,I also I don't care for celebutantes for whose lifestyles are often times more important than the clothes....hence Karl Lagerfeld,Galliano even sometimes McQueen's personal habits get talked about more.
I think that's kind of a natural part of fashion. With influential designers like McQueen, Lagerfeld and Galliano, it's a part of their design in a way. What I mean is, to understand where they might be coming from when designing a collection, you have to know about their personal life to truly understand them. I understand what you mean though, but for better or worse, fashion designers are celebrities in their own right, it's a natural public reaction to want to know about their lives outside of the fashion world.

I think the whole subject of egos and personalities in fashion is the same as in acting, music, theater, writing....whatever. People want to know the person behind the hit song. Why they wrote the hit song. Same thing with acting, theater, and now writing...look at J.K.Rowling!

I think that obviously the most important thing in the next wave of designers is of course talent, vision, and craftsmanship, but the fashion world wouldn't be the same without a new Donatella to keep us chuckling or a Galliano to keep us wondering.

Originally posted by hollyslookingdry@May 24th, 2004 - 6:16 pm
I think the whole subject of egos and personalities in fashion is the same as in acting, music, theater, writing....whatever. People want to know the person behind the hit song. Why they wrote the hit song. Same thing with acting, theater, and now writing...look at J.K.Rowling!

I think that obviously the most important thing in the next wave of designers is of course talent, vision, and craftsmanship, but the fashion world wouldn't be the same without a new Donatella to keep us chuckling or a Galliano to keep us wondering.
well said

Originally posted by Scott@May 24th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
You wrote what I was going to write exactly.

I'm for craftmanship, originality and expressing ideas above anything else, but I don't mind hearing personality here and there. I only abhore it, as Scott said, when celebutantes for whose lifestyles are often times more important than the clothes.

not knowing too much on eg. Alber Elbaz, Dries Van Noten or Consuello Castiliogni (Marni) doesn't make any difference for me regarding how i 'take' their work. Actually in an over 'informed' world of fashion, i rather enjoy the 'mystery' and the privacy they keep. I can 'see' their personality through their work, every inspired collection tells a story :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@May 25th, 2004 - 12:53 am
not knowing too much on eg. Alber Elbaz, Dries Van Noten or Consuello Castiliogni (Marni) doesn't make any difference for me regarding how i 'take' their work. Actually in an over 'informed' world of fashion, i rather enjoy the 'mystery' and the privacy they keep. I can 'see' their personality through their work, every inspired collection tells a story :ninja:
That would be nice, actually. :smile:

I agree with that too,Lena. Emotion. That's what its all about for those designers-so I DON'T necessarily have to know precisely because you know it has soul. Plus,you can conjure up your own ideas & feelings through that mystery. But I still don't mind the personality because that personality sometimes feeds the designer's work. Mostly related to the aforementioned.

imo...when the clothes have no personality...you need that larger than life character to attract attention to the clothes...

but when the clothes are really great...they speak for themselves and the designer can fade into the background...

there are a lot of really talented designers, artists and musicians who aren't necessarily media whores and self-promotion junkies...that doesn't mean they are less talented or their work is less valid or important than the flashy public figure...chances are ...the work is probably better and well developed because they have spent more time focused on the work and less time courting the press...

i really love fashion design...and i really don't care about bitchy queens...if i want to see that ...i'll go to a drag show in the village(been there, done that)

...fashion should be about THE FASHION ...imo... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@May 25th, 2004 - 9:48 am
imo...when the clothes have no personality...you need that larger than life character to attract attention to the clothes...

but when the clothes are really great...they speak for themselves and the designer can fade into the background...

there are a lot of really talented designers, artists and musicians who aren't necessarily media whores and self-promotion junkies...that doesn't mean they are less talented or their work is less valid or important than the flashy public figure...chances are ...the work is probably better and well developed because they have spent more time focused on the work and less time courting the press...

i really love fashion design...and i really don't care about bitchy queens...if i want to see that ...i'll go to a drag show in the village(been there, done that)

Softgrey :o , I love you! :heart: You said it! :woot:

Sorry for steering away from this highly entertaining philosophical debate, but I just have to ask, is no one else here a fan of Neil Barrett?

I see many people echoing my feeling that Chris Bailey is gonna make it big, but honestly I think Barrett will be even bigger, sooner. I've been a huge fan of his designs before I even knew his name - he was the one who made Prada menswear what it is today, and even currently his influence is still clearly visible within the brand, especially in the accessories range. As for the clothes, let's just say I've never bought another piece of Prada ever since he left and Miuccia took back the creative control.

He's not exactly the most original or daring among his contemporaries, but he has an uncanny ability to get the cut, details, and shades of colour just right, on quirky but functional twists upon basic menswear staples. Season after season I'm hard pressed to find a single piece of clothing on his runway that I wouldn't want for myself.

Originally posted by Lena@May 24th, 2004 - 10:53 pm
very true

I do enjoy an intellegan interview though, becuas it makes me feel 'closer' to the work.

Originally posted by ignitioned32+May 27th, 2004 - 12:35 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ignitioned32 @ May 27th, 2004 - 12:35 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@May 25th, 2004 - 9:48 am

Softgrey :o , I love you! :heart: You said it! :woot: [/b][/quote]
why igni... :o :blush: ...i :heart: you too :flower: :woot:

:lol:

Originally posted by softgrey+May 27th, 2004 - 2:57 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ May 27th, 2004 - 2:57 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ignitioned32@May 27th, 2004 - 12:35 am
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
@May 25th, 2004 - 9:48 am

Softgrey :o , I love you! :heart: You said it! :woot:
why igni... :o :blush: ...i :heart: you too :flower: :woot:

:lol: [/b][/quote]
:flower: :P

Anyone know who designed this

shenae_grimes2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member