A New Fashion Generation

ebowleg

Reaction score
Is anyone else looking foward to the next generation of designers...I'm talking about the people who will become the next Tom Ford, Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen, Donatella Versace, and John Galliano! I am anxiously waiting for a new designer like Galliano to take center stage and knock our socks off with some visually stimulating designs. I think that fashion itself is in need of a makever- we need more excitement...I hate to say it, but we need snobbery and a new generation of Linda's and Naomi's as well...What do you guys think? Are you anxiously waiting as well?

chrome-movado-dress-p-watch.jpg

i am to take over Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel in a few years time :flower:

believe me :shifty:

*collects big fat paycheck from Acid and reloads Mannlicher Carcano...*

Yeah, it will be interesting to see who becomes huge and who dissapears. I see Behnaz and Proenza Shouler lasting a long time and labels like Heatherette flaming out soon.

Originally posted by nycgirl84@May 22nd, 2004 - 3:14 pm
and labels like Heatherette flaming out soon.
I hope you're right! Those two clowns seriously need to be exiled from fashion. Come on, if drag queens and Britney Spears are wearing your "designs" (I use the term loosely) it's probably an indication that you have no talent and/or taste when it comes to design.

I'd like to think of myself as the next Tom Ford in a sense, not just a clone or a copycat of course, just similar in my approach to fashion :wink:

Originally posted by ebowleg@May 22nd, 2004 - 2:01 pm
...I hate to say it, but we need snobbery
sorry...but i don't see what snobbery has to do with anything... :rolleyes: :shock:

i think lack of originality is the real problem... :innocent: :ninja:

I wouldn't mind designing for Versace or Ralph Lauren. I'm excited to see what these new designers for YSL and Gucci are going to do. :ninja:

i dont think snobbery is the correct word

i think whats needed is real EGO's.......if you look at designers today.....there are too many designers who arent insane

we need more Karl types who say the strangest things, produce the best collections and know the are the sh*t :wink:

Perhaps an 'élite' who don't serve the likes of Britney etc. is what would be preffered to 'snobbery'...however Domenico & Stefano put foward plenty of good reasons for stars to be dressed by top designers in one of their interviews...

i think whats needed is real EGO's.......if you look at designers today.....there are too many designers who arent insane

Exactly, we need people that we can look at and say, only in fashion- people that design the wickedest clothes and have these out this world lifestyles...Think Donatella with Janice Dickenson's attitude and there you go :woot:

Originally posted by Acid@May 22nd, 2004 - 4:05 pm
i dont think snobbery is the correct word

we need more Karl types who say the strangest things, produce the best collections and know the are the sh*t :wink:
aha...sean...i could get with that...

as long as they really ARE the sh*t and don't just THINK they are...like some fellas i could mention... :innocent:

crazy like galliano when he first exploded onto the scene... :woot:

i found this...washington post...

An Occasion To Celebrate
This Year Finds Plenty Of Worthy Newcomers

By Robin Givhan
Friday, May 21, 2004; Page C02

Every year the American fashion industry celebrates itself by handing out awards under the auspices of the Council of Fashion Designers of America. Seventh Avenue is a particularly insular club -- rarely has anyone based outside New York ever been honored -- and so the list of nominees has a repetitive quality. The award for womenswear design, in particular, feels a bit like a baton that has been passed around among a small coterie of designers. And the nominations for menswear design sometimes have the ring of desperation. Designers who don't even have a full men's collection have been nominated, in part because the pickings are so slim.

But one of the most problematic categories has been the Perry Ellis Award, which is meant to celebrate rising talent. Oftentimes, there has been precious little new talent worth getting excited about. And so, in order to round out the list of nominees, any designer who managed to pull together a fairly decent collection had a reasonable chance of receiving a nod from the industry.

Nominees Zac Posen, Derek Lam and Patrick Robinson, who designs under the Perry Ellis label, each bring something unique and valuable to the fashion industry.

None of these designers is striving to become the next enfant terrible of fashion. They are not plagued by rumors of illicit or raucous behavior, although Posen has been caught more than once in the paparazzi flashes as he danced into the wee hours. The work of these designers is more uptown than downtown. It is polished and sophisticated, unconcerned with signifying detached cool or displaying self-conscious ugliness. Only the nonchalant night-prowler style of Cloak is an exception to this rule. Mostly these designers are creating elegant clothes with the potential for broad appeal.

This is welcome news to an industry fixated on a handful of designers who have become set in their ways. None of these newer talents has yet become a "personality" or a brand. For the time being, attention is focused on the clothes above all else. In time, one or more of them may emerge as bona fide stars, able to draw attention to the industry by force of charisma. That, too, is important. But before fashion can worry about the stardust, it needs to make sure that its foundation is sound. Refreshingly, the new talent runs deep.

Originally posted by ebowleg@May 22nd, 2004 - 5:25 pm
Think Donatella with Janice Dickenson's attitude and there you go :woot:
I HATE Janice Dickenson. Obnoxious b*tch.....sorry, but can we say has been? I know where you're going though, someone with real attitude.

I kinda disagree on that though, I mean, eccentric designers are definitly needed, but for all designers to be egocentric would suck. It's like, if all models were Janice.........scary thought. :unsure:

Edit-If I hear one more thing mentioning Zac Posen, I'm gonna become an accountant.

Originally posted by ebowleg@May 22nd, 2004 - 5:25 pm

Exactly, we need people that we can look at and say, only in fashion- people that design the wickedest clothes and have these out this world lifestyles...Think Donatella with Janice Dickenson's attitude and there you go :woot:
yah ...janice dickenson is an idiot with a bad attitude...no one in the industry respects her...that's part of the reason she's so bitchy...yuck...no...i don't think we need anymore of that thank you...

now linda on the other hand... :innocent: :ninja:

I personally think that, among the new generation of young designers, Neil Barrett and Christopher Bailey will be the ones to watch. Both have easily identifiable styles that are commercially viable.

I also have great faith in Dirk Schonberger, but somehow I suspect he doesn't yearn to, and thus will never, be a "power house" in the mould of Tom Ford or Miuccia Prada as much as Barrett and Bailey.

Originally posted by Orochian@May 22nd, 2004 - 6:54 pm
I personally think that, among the new generation of young designers, Neil Barrett and Christopher Bailey will be the ones to watch. Both have easily identifiable styles that are commercially viable.

I also have great faith in Dirk Schonberger, but somehow I suspect he doesn't yearn to, and thus will never, be a "power house" in the mould of Tom Ford or Miuccia Prada as much as Barrett and Bailey.
Ex- menswear and womenswear senior directors at Gucci respectively...is this a mere conincedence or does Gucci breed commercial fashion designers?

There's way too much for me to enjoy now so I don't invest a lot of time thinking about what new folks will bring to the table in the future. Originality exists today though you have to look at designers not showing during the Big Four shows sometimes as well, e.g., Red Threds by Allison Nelson. Call me conservative but I want runway shows to continue, I want Paris Haute Couture Week to remain firmly in Paris with the return--not exodus--of some houses and I want mags to trend away from Hollywood.

I agree with orochian about bailey. I definately expect him to be a promiment figure in the future (if not now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->