A Wife Beater is a criminal, not an article of clothing

I hate the term wife beater... I call them tank tops, or tank when Im too lazy to write tops :lol:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia+Jun 26th, 2004 - 11:21 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (purplelucrezia @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 11:21 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MayaPapaya9@Jun 26th, 2004 - 11:20 pm
What the?!?!

Who sells those shirts that actually say "wife beater" on them?! I have never seen that before and they're really gross.
The ever-charming Kid Rock, for one. :ninja:

WifeBeater.jpg
[/b][/quote]
What a freaking loser!

His music is crap anyway so I don't care that he such an idiot for wearing the shirt :yuk:

i just call them boyfriend tank's. if i refer to myself wearing one. but ya i do call them wife beaters. and i guess its liek the term loses meaning. becuase i dont really mind calling it that, and it doesnt bother anyone i talk to. and honestly i wont refer to them as anything different because its hard to call it something else when everyone knows of it already as a "wife beater"

What's the diff btw a singlet and a tank top? (This isn't the first line of a joke, I just wondered) :unsure:

Originally posted by Spunky@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:01 pm
What's the diff btw a singlet and a tank top? (This isn't the first line of a joke, I just wondered) :unsure:
there's no difference...but the word ..singlet ...doesn't exist in american vernacular...it's a euro thang... :flower:

Originally posted by star@Jun 27th, 2004 - 3:23 pm
i just call them boyfriend tank's. if i refer to myself wearing one. but ya i do call them wife beaters. and i guess its liek the term loses meaning. becuase i dont really mind calling it that, and it doesnt bother anyone i talk to. and honestly i wont refer to them as anything different because its hard to call it something else when everyone knows of it already as a "wife beater"
i highly doubt that people would be confused about what you're talking about if you called then tank tops...since that is the correct name for them and is what they are generally called and have been called since before many of us were born...

this 'wifebeater' thing is a recent mutation...

'everyone' does not call them that... as evidenced by the responses to this thread... :flower:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Jun 27th, 2004 - 9:49 am
I thought this fit in well here...

"All violence is the illustration of a pathetic stereotype."
-Barbara Kruger

BK_3.jpg
very cool purple...thanks for the post ...barbara kruger's art is very socially conscious...

very appropriate here... :flower:

Just as sort of a follow-up, I finally wore my "boy beater" shirt out in public the other day. Got some very unhappy reactions, mostly from middle aged men, which was interesting. A lot of stares and some slobs in a van started challenging me. It was all a bit overwhelming, but I felt faintly brave for doing it. Not sure whether I'll be wearing it again anytime soon though.
:ninja:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Aug 4 2004, 06:09 PM
Just as sort of a follow-up, I finally wore my "boy beater" shirt out in public the other day. Got some very unhappy reactions, mostly from middle aged men, which was interesting. A lot of stares and some slobs in a van started challenging me. It was all a bit overwhelming, but I felt faintly brave for doing it. Not sure whether I'll be wearing it again anytime soon though.
:ninja:
[snapback]321454[/snapback]​
:shock: Why their over-reaction?

I never saw this thread, but soft and purple have said it all :heart: :grrr:

In the UK(London) we call them vest tops, simple as...... Call it wife beater or mother beater here no one will know what the hell you're talking about :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Jun 26 2004, 07:45 PM
Just for the record, I'm wearing it with a pink, ruffled, ultra feminine skirt...

:innocent:
[snapback]297814[/snapback]​

Originally posted by SCBlondie@Jun 26 2004, 04:43 PM
I've never seen anyone get so angry over tank tops.. :innocent:
[snapback]297713[/snapback]​

Understandably so.. its cuz she offended by the terminology..... :flower:

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Aug 4 2004, 01:39 PM
:shock: Why their over-reaction?
[snapback]321487[/snapback]​
You would probably have to ask them that. :doh: Personally, I just turned up my diskman, 'cause I'm kind of chicken sometimes.

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Aug 4 2004, 01:39 PM
[snapback]321487[/snapback]​

where have you been?... :P :flower:

good food for thought...talk about fashion getting political... :lol:
and art as well...the barbara kruger purple posted is excellent!... :woot:

ok...just have to note this...
i went to a big trade show in nyc called coterie...
and what did i see...???
the t-shirt brand 'splendid' had a whole booth set up with this as the theme...!!!
:woot:

now...
i'm not saying they stole it from here or anything...
but that is a heck of a coincidence, no?...
:lol:...

still...
i was pretty pleased to see it out there like that ...
posted in their trade show booth the size of a billboard!!!...
:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great!
I never saw this thread but I could never get the words W-B out of my mouth. Can't even write it. I used to discuss this with my friends too, flabbergasted at the insensitivity.
It's a horrible name. :doh:

But "Boy Beater" is just as bad. :(
It's tragic in fact.
Two wrongs don't make a right...

It's always been tanktop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anna Nilufer
Back