Accessories Of The Future

Craig

Reaction score
Here's a quick sketch of future girl in her YSL Hoverlux car, with plush leather interior, capable of gliding in and out of city traffic ( very Jetsons - I'm a big fan ). She's got her handbag too, based on a Palm tree frond.

That's The Fashion Spot on her monitor of course! :wink:

Ruben Toledo did an entire series of futuristic accessories for Paper Magazine a few years ago. I recall a Louis Vuitton scooter, a Gucci talking codpiece (!), a Burberry car, and other funny goodies. This really reminds me of that.

Hi

Yeah, I think I'll try and find those Toledo sketches, they sound great.

I'm also interested in the new materials that are going to be developed too, I reckon in the future we'll be able to artificially grow the most amazing soft leather in fantastic colours!

That goes for all fabrics and some wonderful stretchy hard-wearing new ones too. Tights so thin, that you won't even know you're wearing them, but they'll keep out the winter cold.

Scarves that contain elements that change temperature. Maybe all clothes will have a built in temperature control, that adjusts itself according to the climate and your personal body temperature. And in the summer they have materials that always stay fresh and smell nice. A big rose dress actually smells of fresh roses all day!

Maybe a whole host of clothes with fantastic moving pictures moving across the fabric. Imagine like a film taking place on your Tshirt. I can see lots of bold animations and statements flickering across Tshirts and down the side of jeans! You could download whatever anims you wanted from mini computers built into your clothes. What fun clothing animators could have :P

It's fun thinking about it all, even if some of it doesn't materialize :wink:

Craig your sketches are amazing. You have a great way of making things come to life.

Craig, i always love your sketches, but this is especially right up my alley. My BF is in a graduate program at Tisch that does some work with wearables. I came up with the title for their "fashion show" this year- "LEDs are the new black". :P One girl who does some silver-smithing made a few very cool silver USB drive pendants. I want one so bad! I do hand/machine knitwear and the BF and I are working on some techie fashion projects right now. I'll post when/if they materialize :flower: Keep posting your sketches, too, I really enjoy seeing your work--

MIT has already done a TV t-shirt. So cool- I cut and pasted it from nature because you need to be registered--

Published online: 22 May 2002; | doi:10.1038/news020520-4

TV on a T-shirt
Philip Ball
New fabric displays glowing, changing images.

Optical-fibre fabric should open new horizons for fashion designers.

Seen the movie, got the T-shirt? Soon T-shirts might not just advertise movies but show them. Researchers at France Telecom have developed a fabric woven from plastic optical fibres that glow with a series of different images, like a TV screen1.

It could mean never again being stuck wearing the same outfit as someone else at a party - you could use a mobile phone to download a whole new look into the fabric from a computerized database.

fibre1_160.jpg

The battery-powered optical-fibre fabric should "open new horizons for fashion designers," say its developers Emmanuel Deflin and co-workers of France Telecom in Meylan. In a more practical vein, they suggest that fire-fighters or police could wear clothing programmed to display safety or warning information visible from afar.

So far the team has made a jacket containing a very low-resolution grid of eight by eight pixels, which displays crude yet readable symbols such as numbers.

Switchable textiles have been made before from different light-emission devices. In principle, flexible and fully pixellated screens could be imprinted onto fabrics using plastic light-emitting diodes (LEDs), for example. But fibre-optics are tough, cheap and easy to adapt to existing fabric-weaving technology.

Light show

Showing real movies on this fabric is, in truth, still remote. A TV or monitor screen contains a grid of pixels that can be lit up or left dark. Each fibre-optic thread in the fabric provides an entire row of pixels that can be configured in only one way. The row can be set up to contain some unlit and some lit sections when switched on, but that predetermined pattern can't be changed.

fibre2_160.jpg

The threads are optical fibres that leak light.

Fora screen capable of supporting several different images, therefore, a different thread must supply each different configuration of light and dark patches in a row of pixels. This is not quite as limiting as it sounds, because the fibre-optic threads are little thicker than a human hair at about a quarter of a millimetre across.

The screen could support four distinct patterns, for example, by selecting one of four strands for each line of the image. The glow from each bright part of a strand spreads out enough that, from a distance, the intervening dark strands are barely visible. Primitive moving images can be made by rapidly switching between several such pre-set pictures.

The threads are optical fibres that leak light along the sections that need to glow. Normal optical fibres trap light inside, so that they look transparent from the side but glow at the far end where the light emerges.

A French company called Audio Images has developed a way to perforate optical fibres with tiny holes that allow some of the light to escape sideways. Each section of a fibre then glows when light is fed into one end.

Deflin's team uses plastic fibres, which are stronger than the glass fibres used for telecommunications. Light is fed into the fibres by tiny LEDs along the edge of the display panel and controlled by a small microchip. LEDs of different colours can be used for multicoloured images.

Paprika, that was great reading, that new LED and optical fibre technology is just what I was envisaging...it's cool to see it being actually implemented into clothes. I look forward to the day when they can run those movies and animations. the future looks dazzling :shock:

Imagine the pile of clothes in the corner of your bedroom, you'd have to turn them all off at night!

Thanks for posting that! :wink:

Originally posted by Craig@Aug 12 2004, 08:59 AM
Here's a quick sketch of future girl in her YSL Hoverlux car, with plush leather interior, capable of gliding in and out of city traffic ( very Jetsons - I'm a big fan ). She's got her handbag too, based on a Palm tree frond.

That's The Fashion Spot on her monitor of course! :wink:
[snapback]329376[/snapback]​

Mett George Jetson. His boy Elroy. His daughter Judy. Jane, his wife........

:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->