Afghan Top Model Show Raises Eyebrows

Reaction score
MAZAR-I-SHARIF, Afghanistan (Sept 28) - A model strutting the catwalk is hardly revolutionary in most countries, but Afghan television's answer to "America's Next Top Model" is breaking boundaries and revealing the beauty under the burqa.

Nearly six years after the overthrow of the strict Islamist Taliban government, almost all women in deeply conservative Afghanistan still only appear in public wafting past in the burqa's pale blue, their dark eyes only occasionally visible behind the bars of its grille.

But in the relatively liberal northern Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif, a local television station has started to show a different image of Afghan women with an extremely low-budget take on the hit "America's Next Top Model", a reality TV show in which judges choose prospective models from a group of contestants over several weeks.

"I was really enthusiastic to make this program because I wanted the girls to present the clothes and themselves," said Sosan Soltani, the 18-year-old director of the program.

"Afghanistan is free and these girls are the future of this country," she said.

Four girls in brightly colored traditional costumes with baggy pants and long loose-fitting shawls and headscarves strode down the impromptu catwalk decked out in traditional Afghan rugs. Seemingly less confident than their Western counterparts, they avoided the gaze of the all-male film crew and press.

A quick change later, the same four appeared in camouflage combat trousers, sneakers and embroidered smocks. Then came denim jeans, open-toed sandals and colorful lightweight jackets.

None of this would be at all risque in the West, but in Afghanistan, such attire can spark outrage, especially when broadcast on television.

"According to Sharia law, Islam is absolutely against this," said Afghan Muslim cleric Abdul Raouf. "Not only is it banned by Islamic Sharia law, but if we apply Sharia law and to take this issue to justice, these girls should be punished."

Link to full story

oh leave them alone. it's okay to treat your women like property but not okay for them to focus on a modeling career? beautiful name btw. i'm part middle-eastern too.

I have read about women who love wearing the burqa, actually read a blog about a british lady who converted to Islam and thinks the burqa is beautiful..but it should be a choice...

breaking rules is always the first step to change something
i think that the director is obviously a strong person doing this at only 18 and i wish her success :flower:

I thought this was really interesting too, and I opened a thread in D&C. The article I posted there called "Beauty under the Burqa" is quite something to read. I am amazed that it didn't solicit any discussion so I'm very glad to find this thread. :flower:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:Good for them,they`re really brave for doing that.

I hope this is the first step of many towards freedom. :smile: Good luck to them!

Great thread! This just proves my theory where the NEXT model invasion will come in the near future. About 1 yr and half ago I posted this very theory on the thread "Where Will the Next Invasion Be From?". I said, in Afghanistan. Surely enough, they are bravely breaking out into that spectrum. Good for them, for there are alot of beautiful Afghan women in that country.B)

I have read about women who love wearing the burqa, actually read a blog about a british lady who converted to Islam and thinks the burqa is beautiful..but it should be a choice...

Yes, and in our society women enjoy starving getting their bodies ripped apart in order to look beautiful. Brainwashing works both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ixtab
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->