After Sun Care

Pete

Reaction score
Long Story short...
Got incredibly bad sunburn two days ago. Got very sick that night w/ major flu-like symptoms. Made it through the night, have been doing all the skin things to take care of myself (constant moisturizer, aloe, etc.). Am still battling flu-symptons, feel swollen.... no peeling yet, but very red skin and very uncomfortanble. Have been drinking a ton of water.... Any tips or advice on how to make me feel better. I'm miserable.

Crap... I had sun poisoning two years ago, and my mom called up some tanning places and they had this clear blue stuff, and a white cream, it was a step process type thing. Try calling up some local tanning salons asking for something for extreme sunburn.

Sorry I dont know the brand... the stuff isn't in my apartment.

Any product with a high percentage of aloe vera gel will help with the healing of newly sun-damaged skin. I suppose you can even buy pure aloe vera gel if it's available to you.

I also believe Clinique makes a lotion that is specifically used for treating sun burns. I can't recall the name, but you can check out their website for more details. Sorry I couldn't be more help, and best of luck with your recovery!

Cool (not cold) baths, especially with baking soda, might help. If you feel ANY heat at all still in your skin, it it still burning and you need to stay in cool water until that burning stops. I'm sure it must have stopped by now but if this should ever happen again...

Poor you!!! :cry:

clinique after sun balm and 4 advil every 5 hours

thanks for the tips. I've been taking cold baths and aloeing up... starting to feel better.
Thanks

when I was very young, i went horsebackriding on the beach from dawn until long after the sun set. no sunscreen + reflection off the water = sun burn.

I didnt think it was bad when i got home, just a little hot and annoying. Aloe and asprin and water. The next day all felt fine. Then I got to school and half way through my first class, my teacher asked me if I felt ok. I was like, huh? I feel fine. He told me to go to the nurse straighaway.

When I looked in the mirror there were blisters all over my face and within the next hour, all over my entire body, except where my jeans were covering me, the sun even went through my t-shirt. I had to go to the doctor and take anti-inflammatory pills, anitbiotics and use some weird extreme moisturizing lotion. I went home and slept for almost three days on tylenol PM. I still have scars when I am tan, like lighter blotches on my face...

To counteract the damage, I would say drink TONS of water, use a mixture of Vitamin E, Aloe, Cortisone cream and Johnson and Johnson baby lotion, take some Ibuprofin and stay out of the sun for at least a week. Next time use sunscreen! If you are worried go to the doctor ASAP. better to know than to worry.

i was burned about 2 weeks ago and the only thing that helped was 1/2 water & 1/2 vinegar, the swelling went down pretty fast and in my case because of the swelling I couldn't even walk it was so bad. that's what 15 mins. on a tanning bed will do to you
(it was recommended by the girl at the tanning place) :o

Eeek i got that and i got chills even though i was bruning up...I looked like a lobster too then started peeling like a snake! :yuk: Just Do pretty much as everyone has said! Good luck :flower:

I am always so absolutely careful with my skin but this weekend I went for a boatride at the cottage on an overcast day, forgot a hat and sunscreen and got my first sunburn in ages. Actually I think it's a combined sunburn/windburn since the wind was really harsh and my skin doesn't feel quite the same as just a sunburn.

it's been three days now and my skin is still red-ish

it hasn't pealed (yet) and I'm moisturising like crazy... any other suggestions... this looks so embarassing. I don't wear foundation so I'm not covering it up in any way... I just want it to heal and my skin to feel healthy again.

is the moisturising stopping it from healing (i.e. preventing pealing?).

I read before for windburn, that they suggest you use a hydrocortisone cream, applying it twice a day for three to four days.
The skin doesn't need to peel, to heal, that's just its reaction when there's a lack of moisture. I would use an after-sun cream or natural yogurt for the sunburn, though after three days that's probably near gone. I wouldn't stop moisturising under any circumstances however, if this is anything near as bad as chlorine burns, then it needs all it can get...

For sunburn, I find the best thing is natural aloe right from the plant. It feels really soothing on the burn even though it smells kinda bad. Also, the plants are easy to take care of so you can always keep one.

thanks spike413. I've been using aloe each morning and night before I moisturise and it seems to be helping. It's way better today and not peeling (whereas my boyfriend refuses to moisturise and he's peeling like crazy)

Good tip on the crem de la mer... now I really have an excuse to try the stuff.

You might also try Bach Rescue Remedy cream. Works very well for face, neck, etc. The tubes are small though, so you won't be able to do your whole body.

It'll take a good few days for your skin to start feeling normal again.. maybe even a week or more... I get sunburned all the time.. it sucks.

Aloe is the best IMHO. The results are visible inmediately ... and real aloe leaves are really good ..you may keep 'em on the fridge for a nice cool/relieving effect. Not all species of Aloe smell .. if you dont have access to aloe leaves ..go for some organic aloe gel.
I live in the tropics so wind/sunburn are seen here on a daily basis (esp. from my european/american friends visiting)
Hope your skin gets back to normal soon!

Hi all, this weekend I got sunburned quite bad, I have a dark olive complection so I dont ever put a high protection factor, this weeknd I swam a lot and did not re apply cream, I never NEVER get burned, this is a first (must be the pill I am on)
I have been applying tons of after sun lotion, but my question is this, how do I avoid peeling? I am not red anymore but Im itching in some places and I heard that that means Ill peel?
Have any of you got tips to avoid peeling besides what Im already doing (that is applying after sun)
Thanx
Val

Hi, I got the same case in last three years. I grabbed yoghurt nature on my skin. My favorite magazine in French told me about the emergency action. But you should apply in the first time you get sunburn.

Or if it stays more than 1 day, you just go to the pharmacy, ask the calming soleil to reduce it.

-----------------------
Always put sunscreen or sunblock if you want to spend your time under the sun. Be careful, it will stay ages that spots cause the sun. :blink:

If you're itching already, you probably WILL peel...

I can suggest, however, wearing SPF, even if you don't burn... anybody of any skin tone can get skin cancer, so it's just something to keep in mind for the future. :smile: Not to mention... the wrinkles... they can be prevented. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->