Alek Wek

Porter Edit by Net-A-Porter
March 15, 2019

The Relevance
Model Gemma Ward & Alek Wek
Photographer Claudia Knoepfel
Styling Helen Broadfoot

Two of the most recognizable faces in the industry, ALEK WEK and GEMMA WARD defined a new era of modeling in the late ’90s and early ’00s. Twenty years later, they still own that fickle fashion essential that is hard to come by and even harder to hold on to: relevance. Here, the duo showcase the SS19 pieces that are every bit as timelessly cool as they are.

ALEK WEK, 41
Sudanese model Alek Wek, 41, began her career at the age of 18 in 1995, changing the industry and the ambitions of millions of dark-skinned girls – Lupita Nyong'o included – around the world who finally saw themselves reflected on magazine covers and in high-fashion images. She has walked for everyone from Chanel and Dries van Noten to Oscar de la Renta and Marc Jacobs over the past 24 years, appeared in music videos for Tina Turner and Janet Jackson, and hosted London’s Fashion Awards last year.

I’M VERY SURE OF MYSELF. I come from a family where we celebrated each other as women. But in fashion [in the ’90s], it was very foreign for [the industry] to see something out of the ordinary. For me, it was important that it wasn’t just about me and representing women of color, but saying that we need diversity. Fashion draws its inspiration from around the world, from all different cultures, so this is a collective. Now, with social media, we’re so connected you can’t not celebrate diversity. It was long overdue.

PEOPLE EMBRACED ME BECAUSE they knew I wanted to have fun with [fashion], wear these clothes and create the shapes and send a message out that my color is part of me – I’m not a gimmick and I’m not going to be sold short. I’m really glad that translated throughout the years. I was blessed to work with certain people in the business who are legendary, like Yves Saint Laurent and Irving Penn. I’m glad that I worked with people who nurtured me because if you’re not nurtured, you can’t grow from there. Now I see all the throwback [pictures], I can’t believe Alek at [age] 18, 20, 21… It’s really humbling, but it’s the same woman.

SOCIAL MEDIA SHEDS LIGHT ON IMPORTANT ISSUES, be that the bullying that goes on in the business or the #MeToo movement. People who misbehave don’t have to misbehave anymore and if they do there are consequences – in this industry, I felt for such a long time we didn’t really have that. When you’re putting something out, even when you talk, you have a social responsibility and you’ve got to respect that. There are younger generations coming up and if you do certain things that aren’t OK, they’re going to think it is. Being able to show faces and stories is very important, that’s how we strengthen each other. I always say we come from different backgrounds but a struggle is a struggle, family is family, values are values, morals are morals, and friendship is friendship. That’s a universal thing – whether you sleep on the floor or in a five-star hotel, you still cry, bleed, feel the same.

IT’S NOT ABOUT SIZE, it’s about being healthy. Everyone has different body types and some girls are discovered when they’re 14 – that’s when I hit puberty! If you’re not healthy, nothing else matters.

IF I WASN’T IN THE FASHION BUSINESS I think I probably would have a bunch of kids because I love children. Definitely now I want to try for babies; I feel maternal, I’m mentally a mother, and I have time now, I don’t have to run around. My sister’s kids are now in their 20s and I can’t believe it. They’re all so proud of my career, loving fashion and seeing themselves in that. I couldn’t imagine them not being able to see themselves in [fashion images].

FASHION HAS GIVEN ME A PLATFORM TO SHED LIGHT ON IMPORTANT ISSUES such as the refugee crisis. I was born and raised in South Sudan during the Civil War. We didn’t have electricity or anything and if the UNHCR [United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees] – the biggest refugee agency in the world – were not there to give food, shelter and water, I don’t think I’d be sitting here right now talking to you. So I think it’s important to do that for others.
net-a-porter

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

She needs her British Vogue Cover, Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris and American Vogue cover. She's the only icon model without them.

Dazed Magazine Spring/Summer 2019
Photographer: Tyler Mitchell
Fashion Editor/Stylist: Robbie Spencer
Hair Stylist: Jawara
Makeup Artist: Emi Kaneko
Set Designer: Andy Hillman
Producer: Sylvia Farago

models.com​

i-D Issue № 169,October 1997
''Killer!''
Photographer:Terry Richardson
Styling by Edward Enninful
Hair:Johnie Sapong
Make-up:Francisco Valera
Models:Alek Wek/Models 1 and Shirley Mallmann/Next

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Strip-project.com

The Face UK February 1998
Photographer: Peter Robathan
Stylist: Seta Niland
Model: Alek Wek at Models One
Hair: Barnabe for Jean-Louis David at Premier
Make-up: Sharon Dowsett

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

strip-project.com

i-D magazine Issue # 166 July 1997
''Designs for Life''
Photographer:Henrik Halvarsson
Styling by Jo Barker
Hair:Moose
Make-up:Wendy Rowe
Model:Alek Wek at Models 1

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

strip-project.com

Vogue España January 2020

Modelos De Compromiso

Photographer: Alexi Lubomirski
Set Design: Jack Flanagan
Stylist: Juan Cebrian
Hair: Braydon Nelson
Makeup: Frankie Boyd
Manicure: Maki Sakamoto
Cast: Halima Aden, Candice Huffine, Adesuwa Aighewi, Jacquelin Jablonski, Alek Wek, Hanne Gaby Odiele, Grace Mahary,

Vogue España Digital Edition

CR Fashion Book Spring/Summer 2020

To Survive To Dream To Make It Happen All It Takes is the Power of the Self

Photographer: Davit Giorgadze
Stylist: Christian Stemmler
Cast: Carolyn Murphy, Missy Rayder, Alek Wek, Marisha Urushadze, Faiza Ali and Linda Sarsour, Racquel Chevremont and Mickalene Thomas, Fanta Zephir, Cynthia Nixon, Mela Murder and Kaner Scott, Sylvia Weinstock, Suzanne Goldberg, Deborah Batts, Ncoc Minh Ngo, Jeannie Berlin

CR Fashion Book Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->