Alexander McQueen Mens F/W 10.11 Milan

His use of print here is actually quite sophisticated, it's certainly easier to use in womenswear, I think, because you have the forgiveness of drape to get you through, maybe. But to use it with the preciseness of a tailored garment and force a balance ...not so easy, especially of the suit where the print continues through the middle of the body from the arms, that must have been a nightmare to balance out.

His use of print here is actually quite sophisticated, it's certainly easier to use in womenswear, I think, because you have the forgiveness of drape to get you through, maybe. But to use it with the preciseness of a tailored garment and force a balance ...not so easy, especially of the suit where the print continues through the middle of the body from the arms, that must have been a nightmare to balance out.

^there lies Mcqueen's genius :heart:

god, i hate the styling... that haircut on that guy.... hideous

i like the prints and a few pieces tho... not all bad.

love this especially the more structured pieces that look like armor. not usually a big fan of prints but mcqueen has been convincing me otherwise.

This is one of my favorite Milan collections. I'm glad to see that he has followed through with his statements from the New York Times (I think) interview last year regarding his interest in pushing new fabrics vs. sticking with his Victoriana interests. I'm still not a fan of some of the digital print, but at least with some of the work, the details may be sewn into the fabric and not simply printed on top. The better work here reminds me of the Jil marble, but done in a more abstract, less obvious way. If not as outerwear, these will make for far better shirts than the selection I've seen stocked near me. S/S 09 saw a hideous early 90s looking liquid print shirt (retailing for $1k) purchased by Barneys in lieu of the much more interesting gradients and wetsuit like tops.

I like the coat in look 33 a lot. It has the simple, textured print, but there's strong tailoring going on as well. It isn't just a matter of slapping some paint on a basic overcoat. The second look is exceptional too. I'd love to see the suit fabric up close. Even look 10, which is one of the bolder patterns, could work in real life. I think it has to do with the simple color choice and, in the best pieces, the simplicity/perfection of the garments. He seems to bunch the worst looks into the middle. Some of the jackets, like look 12 don't work for me at all. Too much bulk. Too much going on.

A very boring collection from McQueen. I was really expecting more. The prints are tired and he's better than this. The whole collection just seems lazy.

my first impression was a lot better than the second closer look!
verdict: i don't like it. the bodybuilder s&m thing going on here and at other labels (versace?) is so not my thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->