Alexander Wang leaving Balenciaga

RIP Balenciaga.

you just made a point...
Kane is just not capable of pulling this job
he's just not up to it on esthetical level

and that comes from me who's never been a Balenciaga/Guesquiere groupie

:wacko:

I think he could do just fine at a house like Balenciaga as long as he can add some polish to his work. For me, his designs have always had this somewhat gritty, dirty feel to them and under Nicolas the designs at the house were always so razor sharp and clean. With the right ideas and with the help of the atelier I think he's going to do pretty good ^_^

I can appreciate that people will miss Nicolas (I will too, as he was an unbridled genius when it came to designing), but Christopher does something that PPR were finding Nicolas often struggled with when it came to creating collections - the commercial aspect of the clothing.

Christopher is a little bit more dark with his humour and his design aesthetic a lot of the time, but what he's also capable of is creating a collection that has show pieces AND commercial viability, which, let's face it, is what every designer wants.

Obviously, Nicolas sold fairly well, or else PPR would have ousted him earlier rather than later. But I feel like Kane will bring a new sense of direction that is both artistic and creative, but also commercia,l and most importantly, wearable. Sure, his main line stuff is a little kooky at times (see: the metallic pool shoes from SS12, the floor length red printed puffer coats from aw12, and the rubber bow skirts from SS13), but then again, so was Nicolas' a lot of the time.

I think Phoebe Philo could sure use a 3rd job...I don't think Celine and her children are enough at the moment :lol:

While I appreciate Kane's spirited collections, I find he lacks the conceptual and technical breadth to pull off designing for such a label like Balenciaga. His own collections are rarely ever more than sketches (and often the clothes on the rack read more like rushed together theater costumes than they do like actual clothes) and his work for Versus is atrocious bordering on inane.

His appointment to Balenciaga would only result in a few clumsy, poorly received collections that would sink him down and his own brand along with it. If I were him, I'd stay away from any chances to screw up on such a massive and widely watched stage.

but anna dello russo's twitter page said Kane would succeed, and she's in the know so i wouldn't be surprised if its true

^ a magazine posted the info aswell, it's so weird. But then again not long ago there were a few 'reliable' sources putting any kind of names for certain at Dior, so who knows.

Christopher Kane wouldn't be the best option anyway, so I'm not sure why he was even considered in the first place. He uses similar techniques and likes to combine fabrics, but his creative vision has always inclined towards cool, quirky trendsetter rather than edgy and chic. I dunno, he's much more suited at Versus.

I honestly think Kane would be a good match. But if I had to choose, Id say Herchcovitch.

Balenciaga needs someone who understands silhouette and has proper cutting skills (think Jil Sander, Alaïa...) Who can we suggest from the younger generation?

Kane is too much of a stylist for the job, even though I understand he appeals to the same clientele Nicholas did.

Honestly, I'd rather Christopher concentrated on his own label. And he co-designs for Versus as well, right?

They should just select someone from in house. Look how successful it has been for McQueen and Balmain.

ugh... All of these changes lately are too much for me. Everything is changing at the same time in the industry (for better and worst) I guess it's a new era..?
I'm curious to know who they'll put at balenciaga, even more so knowing there's no "obvious choice at the moment".

They should just select someone from in house. Look how successful it has been for McQueen and Balmain.

Maybe in sales they've been successful, but all I can see with Burton is a terribly desperate attempt at being as deep and original as Alexander McQueen, truly awful collections only shaded from critisism by the parasol of the legacy of the late designer.
Olivier Rousteing is doing some good things seeing as he is so young, but he is also only trying to squeeze out some more ideas from previously-done concepts... Rococo-grunge?
Frida Giannini was from in-house, an accessories designer, before she became creative director of Gucci, and how much originality is she providing fashion week?
Paolo Piccoli and Maria Grazia Chiuri were also accessories designers at the house before they turned Valentino into a broken record playing only notes of nude, ruffles and lace.

I find it quite clear that if a brand is only expected to cough up basic or uninspiring clothing to sell then an in-house designer is the way to go.
But it must be noted that none of these houses are trend-setters anymore, they appear to have had their time for trendsetting, is Balenciaga prepared to step down from the brand that the world copies to just another one of those terrible, terrible brands?
Cristobal Balenciaga would be spinning in his grave at the idea of his house producing standard rack clothing, indistinguishable from every other house.

Phoebe would be a no brainer! She isn't that capable but on the other hand, Kane would be really ideal! They need someone edgey like him. Some emerging London designer would be excellent. Mary Kantrouzou maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->