Alexandra Shulman Leaves British Vogue as EIC, *Update* Edward Enninful Confirmed

Just the other day I was watching The September Issue with Edward in it :lol:
I loved his work in W and can´t wait to see what he does in VUK but December?! too long a wait

What a let down, that we will have to endure Emily playing EIC for two issues before Edward takes over. But I guess it does give him more time to really make his first issue 100% his own, and set the course of what his book will be like.

Shulman is joining BOF apparently.

Indeed! Thanks for the heads up, Sixtdaily! :flower::heart:

I bet all those brands she worked with over the years are quaking in their boots over this use. I'm sure Alexandra will expose some of the intrigue she experience as EIC, and I'm ready for it.

Snark aside, it's the perfect position for her....

Welcoming Alexandra Shulman to the BoF Team

Imran Amed welcomes former British Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman to BoF, where she will write a monthly column set to launch in September.

By Imran Amed
July 3, 2017 05:30

LONDON, United Kingdom — The fashion media landscape has changed radically in recent years. Titles have come and gone, the smartphone and social media have given rise to entirely new distribution platforms and old business models are crumbling. The one thing that hasn’t changed is the importance of original and unique voices. Indeed, amidst all the digital noise, point of view matters more than ever.

Today, I am delighted to announce that beginning this September, Alexandra Shulman will be writing an exclusive monthly column on BoF, leveraging her unique perspective and decades of experience in fashion. Importantly, Alexandra will also bring the voice of a strong woman to join our roster of distinguished fashion writers and columnists, including Tim Blanks, Colin McDowell, Angelo Flaccavento and Luca Solca.

Of course, Alexandra is no stranger to the BoF community. For over 25 years, as the editor-in-chief of British Vogue, she raised the profile of the magazine, helped to define and project the very idea of British fashion to the world and advanced the debate on important social issues like body image.

It is our hope that Alexandra will be able to tackle exactly these kind of issues in her column. Indeed, as BoF continues to grow as a platform for opening, informing and connecting the global fashion industry, it is our aim to bring you strong authoritative opinions to help you navigate these times of great flux in fashion and beyond.

Alexandra Shulman’s first column for BoF will be published in September 2017. To sign up for our Daily Digest and receive this in your inbox, register for free to become a BoF member today.

Imran Amed, Founder and Editor-in-Chief

Source: https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/editors-letter/welcoming-alexandra-shulman-to-the-bof-team?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=b31dfed915-dior-s-maria-grazia-chiuri-alexandra-shulman-joins&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d2191372b3-b31dfed915-417355313

Think we all saw this one coming!

Lucinda Chambers To Depart British Vogue
LUCINDA CHAMBERS has announced that she is to step down from her position as fashion director of British Vogue. She will depart this summer after a career spanning 36 years at the publication.

VOGUE.CO.UK

Anyone get a look at this? or is this old news...
Fired 'Vogue' Editor Burns Down the House in Blisteringly Candid Interview
Mashable•July 4, 2017
;
The inner machinations of Vogue have been a source of intrigue and fascination for many years now. But, one former British Vogue editor just lifted the lid on what it's really like to work at Vogue. And, her account reads much like something out of The Devil Wears Prada.
Fired 'Vogue' Editor Burns Down the House in Blisteringly Candid Interview

A Conversation About Life After Vogue With Lucinda Chambers

sourced from webcache.google and yahoo.com/style

British Vogue Taps Coddington, Campbell, Moss and Steve McQueen

Coddington is joining as a contributor, while the others have been named contributing editors.

By Natalie Theodosi on July 6, 2017

LONDON — Out with the old; in with the new.

Ahead of his arrival in August, British Vogue’s new editor in chief Edward Enninful is reinvigorating the masthead with some new, but familiar, names.

Vogue veteran Grace Coddington is returning as a contributor. Coddington, a former model, worked at British Vogue for 19 years, starting as a junior editor under Beatrix Miller. She later moved to New York, working as the creative director of Vogue America.

“Grace’s relationship with Vogue started at a very young age; she has become synonymous with the title, and is as much loved in Britain as she is globally,” said Enninful, who in the past had worked with Coddington when he was contributing to American Vogue.

The English film director, producer, screenwriter, and video artist Steve McQueen has been named contributing editor, alongside Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss, who was already working with the magazine as a contributor under Alexandra Shulman.

“The impact Naomi and Kate have in today’s culture is enormous,” said Enninful, adding that McQueen will bring “an increased depth to the arts within the magazine. I am very much looking forward to working with these friends and colleagues on their ideas for upcoming issues.”

The four contributors will be joining Venetia Scott, who will start as fashion director on July 10. Scott was Enninful’s first appointment as editor.

News of the appointments follows a wave of resignations and dismissals at Vogue House. Earlier this week, deputy editor Emily Sheffield announced her decision to leave the magazine and said her final gig at Vogue House would be as acting editor of the October issue.

A few days ago, Lucinda Chambers, British Vogue’s former fashion director, gave a spiky interview to the online platform Vestoj.com, where she talked about her abrupt departure from the magazine and voiced many a complaint about the fashion and media industries.

There are more staff changes to come at British Vogue, with announcements expected over the next few weeks.

Source: http://wwd.com/business-news/media/british-vogue-taps-coddington-campbell-moss-steve-mcqueen-10940409/

What a joke!!

Coddington? Yes, this magazine is in dire need of some fantasy! Or a simple studio story taken to refreshing heights. This is where she'll excel. I'm sure Coddington is also keen on the idea, as it may even reunite her with Meisel.

McQueen? Don't know his print work. He can be a great visual artist, will have to wait and see what he'll do.

Kate & Naomi? Preposterous! So we've ditched the 'posh girls' only to replace them with models? Neither should be allowed to style for such a big edition!

Where's the journalists? Who will keep that part of the magazine relevant? Hope to God he's not thinking of giving Lynn Hirschberg freelance stints.

Yeah that really is looking like a joke, for crying out loud I hope he knows what he is doing, and isn't out before he knows it!

I really wonder how CN suits are reacting to these changes he is making, doesn't seem like he is getting any resistance, for now.

Grace Coddington should have been the EIC.

Naomi and Kate? My goodness Edward. My goodness. This isn't gearing up to be something worth looking out for.

It seems like UK Vogue has been a finishing school for posh girls for decades, so it's hard to believe there's going to be any sort of true change in the type of people who end up working there (or who end up there without doing any work).

You're not sacking a room full of people, like a clear-out of employees in a call centre... you're up against an entire system.

I really wonder how CN suits are reacting to these changes he is making, doesn't seem like he is getting any resistance, for now.

I think especially with Coleridge also out, everything seems very topsy turvy right now. Not sure who is vetting all these appointments, and now I'm even more perplexed as to how exactly Venetia will encapsulate all these people's work into one vision.

He's now got enough time, some huge photographers (Meisel, M&M, etc etc), and Coddington for a stellar entry. Lets hope it pans out that way.

I fear that his Vogue is gonna end up looking like Katie Grand's LOVE: a magazine made by him and his friends, FOR him and his friends.

Not sure who is vetting all these appointments, and now I'm even more perplexed as to how exactly Venetia will encapsulate all these people's work into one vision.

I think realitisically speaking, these appointments are no longer vetted. If you have the right connections, you're in (from politics all the way to fashion).

Grace can obviously adjust to Venetia's style. Grace's work with Jamie Hawkesworth is somehow similar to what Venetia produces generally. So it's not that hard to find common ground between the two. But the question is, how long can that same old style last?

My hope is that U.K. Vogue doesn't end up like Vogue Paris having the cover editorial being on a different world with the rest of the content. Alt's editorial is still reminiscent to what VP used to be while the rest of the content felt like browsing through the pages of British Vogue. It doesn't seem unlikely that Edward's work with Meisel and M&M would be over the top while the other contents with Venetia would be reminiscent to what U.K. Vogue is now. Hope her and Edward find common ground. I just don't see how Edward's style (judging from her work) could fit Venetia's.

Alex's Vogue was always substance over style, from the sounds of Edward's appointments it'll be all fashion and not much else. I think he needs to strike a balance.

I don't seem to mind Scott as much as most of you but I will agree that her work is quite one-note and it's questionable how sustainable it really is for the job she got. And there is certainly a disconnect between the contributors, Edward's choice of photographers and her appointment but maybe it will prove to be a nice blend of ideas?

I am trying not to judge too quickly and I want Edward to succeed, although I don't like the way the dissolving of the old team is going so far. All this controversy and bitterness makes me think that it could have been handled better.

I fear that his Vogue is gonna end up looking like Katie Grand's LOVE: a magazine made by him and his friends, FOR him and his friends.

Pretty much what I've been saying since the day his name was rumoured. I never expected anything from him actually. He's a "social butterfly" as we say around here, he needs his status friends and to be loved by his status friends. I have no doubt that he will turn the magazine in just another "rich playground".

Not that it bothers me, I've never bought a UK Vogue in my life, all I've read/seen online seemed terrible. It will just be another kind of terrible.

Good luck getting Naomi Campbell to turn anything in on time.

Lmao! Maybe she'll be a Patsy Stone kind of editor.... calling in the mood for her edits instead of actually doing the work.

I'm actually keen to see how this will work. Fashion styling is a very hands-on job, and you're essentially reliant on all the players to make it work. More importantly, you're not the star of the show. Naomi is the most egotistical model I know, next to Linda. Her ego may have to be taken down a notch for this job. She won't be sitting on a logo chair and boss people about with trademark campy hand gestures.

Lmao! Maybe she'll be a Patsy Stone kind of editor.... calling in the mood for her edits instead of actually doing the work.

I'm actually keen to see how this will work. Fashion styling is a very hands-on job, and you're essentially reliant on all the players to make it work. More importantly, you're not the star of the show. Naomi is the most egotistical model I know, next to Linda. Her ego may have to be taken down a notch for this job. She won't be sitting on a logo chair and boss people about with trademark campy hand gestures.

Didn't she play a Vogue editor in American Horror Story?! Maybe Edward thinks that qualifies her.

But honestly, none of these hires excite me. Aside from Coddington. I'm already drooling for her big December fantasy feature.

I was hoping he would make some notable hires in journalism. Vanessa Friedman would have been perfect or Lisa Armstrong.

And am I the only one who thinks Steve McQueen is the biggest WTF of the new hires?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->