Alexandra Shulman Leaves British Vogue as EIC, *Update* Edward Enninful Confirmed

And am I the only one who thinks Steve McQueen is the biggest WTF of the new hires?!

Of course not, it makes no sense! As a once-off contributor, yes. Regularly? Not so sure. Another example of how he's bringing W's stale ideas over to British Vogue. They would do this sort of thing., and love McQueen.

More Big Industry Names, W Alums Set to Join New British Vogue Lineup

Pat McGrath, Sam McKnight, Charlotte Tilbury to join the beauty team.

By Samantha Conti on July 24, 2017

LONDON – Some marquee names from the British beauty industry are set to join the new masthead at British Vogue under editor Edward Enninful, who has also made more editorial appointments.

Make-up artist Pat McGrath has been named beauty editor-at-large, while Val Garland, Sam McKnight, Guido Palau and Charlotte Tilbury will all join as contributing beauty editors.

“I’m really excited to see my vision for the British Vogue team come to fruition. I’m very much looking forward to working with everyone on forthcoming issues,” said Enninful, who takes up his post in August.

Enninful has also been tapping former colleagues from W, including Johan Svensson, who has been named creative director. Formerly design director of W, Svensson was also previously art director of Vogue Paris. Former Vogue staffer and W photography director Caroline Wolff has been named editor-at-large.

Adwoa Aboah, the model and founder of the online platform Gurls Talk, has been named contributing editor. She will join fellow models Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell, who will hold the same title. As reported, the English film director, producer, screenwriter and video artist Steve McQueen has been named contributing editor.

On the fashion desk, Poppy Kain will become senior fashion editor. Kain has worked on campaigns for Peter Pilotto, Stella McCartney and Marc Jacobs and catwalk shows for Anya Hindmarch, Marc by Marc and Jonathan Saunders. She has also done editorial work for Dazed and Confused, Arena Homme+, i-D, W and the New York Times Magazine.

Jack Borkett has been named fashion editor, while Kate Phelan will remain senior contributing fashion editor. She was co-fashion director of British Vogue before becoming creative director of Topshop in 2011.

Contributing fashion editors will include Jane How, Joe McKenna, Max Pearmain, Clare Richardson, Sarah Richardson and Marie-Amélie Sauvé. Josie Hall has been named senior fashion assistant.

As for the written word, Claudia Croft has been named acting fashion features director. Formerly fashion editor at The Sunday Times of London and head of fashion at its weekend Style supplement, Croft will be covering for Sarah Harris while she is on maternity leave.

Olivia Singer has been named executive fashion news editor. She joins from AnOther magazine, where she was fashion and beauty features director.

Anders Madsen, who worked for i-D Magazine and Vice as fashion features director, has been named fashion critic.

On the beauty desk, Jessica Diner will return to British Vogue as beauty and lifestyle director. Previously she was content and creative director at Birchbox U.K., and before that she was in the beauty and health department as beauty and health editor.

Source: http://wwd.com/business-news/media/more-big-names-join-new-british-vogue-pat-mcgrath-adwoa-aboah-10950941/

Oh hell NO to Svensson!! Ugh, this is looking less, and less exciting to me.

Wow, blinded by all these stars!! Pat & Guido in one issue, Charlotte Tilbury (why??), MAS....this can't be bad at all, right? Adwoah Aboah though!

If the rest of the top four aren't quaking in their boots yet, they will soon enough!

If the rest of the top four aren't quaking in their boots yet, they will soon enough!

Why would they be? The fact that they didn't need and didn't rely upon all these "big names" to make a magazine that works and sells for them (regardless of how criticized they are here) already spoke lots about them.

The problem here now is this, with all these people with larger than life ideas... where would the direction go?

And how I wish they hired real writers as contributors.. and not some model

Why would they be? The fact that they didn't need and didn't rely upon all these "big names" to make a magazine that works and sells for them (regardless of how criticized they are here) already spoke lots about them.

The problem here now is this, with all these people with larger than life ideas... where would the direction go?

And how I wish they hired real writers as contributors.. and not some model

Fair point, both US and French Vogue are actually selling.

The only concern I have which I think will pop up sooner or later is ego-clashing. But if Edward will lay down the law, something he's clearly very much adept at, then it should to be good.

I don't think this will be a Carine x HB situation where these people will go about unmoderated. These people will all report to him, surely. I mean, this has to be good. The stakes are way too high now. CN will be clearing their fat bank balance generated by Alexandra to fund all these people, because they sure as hell will not work for peanuts.

It will all come down to Edward, and how he manages, and edits his team. Some of those names are fatanstic, but i still can't help and feel like its a lot of hype, and style over substance. He will have a great chance to prove me wrong with a great Holiday issue for December.

Some of those names are fatanstic, but i still can't help and feel like its a lot of hype, and style over substance. He will have a great chance to prove me wrong with a great Holiday issue for December.

This. It feels to me like they want to create an illusion that it's the "Vogue team to beat" with all these names and credentials. I seriously he proves me wrong (not that I matter), but these reports just doesn't look good for me.

That's like the biggest blockbuster ever. It's like he decided to move them back to London.
I'm happy for MAS: All the big 4 Vogue in her portfolio!

That's what Emmanuelle Alt should have done IMO, bring all the major french stylists in her magazine with maybe one or two foreign contributors. It's frustrating to not see Benjamin Bruno, MAS and CDD as contributors.

Edward's job will not be easy. All those names are great but he still need to define a real distinctive identity for VOGUE UK.
And i'm sure Meisel will join them so i don't know...I'll wait.

I think he is right to bring the best british people in the industry to work for Vogue. It should have been that way for every edition of Vogue. Like most of you said, my concern is about the ego that they all have.

Sometimes, bringing the best people in one team is not necessarily good. It is all about the right balance. CN decided to give a very huge budget to Edward because these people have really enormous fees in general.

The thing is now with all these legendary people, everyone will have extremely high expectations . My second concern is that for most of the stylists, they all have this young, indie aesthetic that i was hoping we would not have with Edward's reign...

Using celebrity names as 'window dressing' to get people interested in the magazine again... fair enough. The new regime should start off with a display of fireworks, and do what it can to really make it clear that UK Vogue is back and means business.

If there's a lack of substance under all the fame, it will soon become apparent. But you've got to give people time to prove themselves.

What to Watch: Eyes Are on Edward Enninful, the First Man to Helm British Vogue
The new British Vogue editor is facing challenges in a tricky environment for print magazines.

By Lorelei Marfil on August 25, 2017

What sort of shape will the December issue of British Vogue, which hits newsstands on Nov. 10, take? Will the new contributors Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell and Adwoa Aboah pose for the debut cover? And who does the makeup? Pat McGrath, Charlotte Tilbury or Val Garland, who are also on the new masthead?

Will Steve McQueen, another new contributing editor, make a film — or create an artwork — to mark the launch?

One thing is for sure: new editor in chief Edward Enninful will have to do something about those circulation numbers. In the January to June period, the print edition of British Vogue fell 1.5 percent year-on-year to 183,300, while digital declined 25.5 percent to 6,721, according to the U.K.’s Audit Bureau of Circulations.

While he’s sorting out circulation, Enninful will also usher in a new era of diversity — his new hires are evidence of that — while a renewed focus on art is also on the agenda, no doubt a carryover from his tenure at W Magazine.

“The impact Naomi and Kate have in today’s culture is enormous,” Enninful said after reshuffling the masthead earlier this summer. He added that McQueen would bring “an increased depth to the arts within the magazine,” and said he’d been “working with these friends and colleagues” on their ideas for upcoming issues.

Digital will also be a big focus. On his first day in the office, the editor — who is active on his own social media accounts — put British Vogue on Snapchat Discover, an all-encompassing entertainment app.

“Edward will bring a very new feel to the magazine, and a clear, demonstrable love of fashion,” said Nick Knight, who photographed Enninful in his modeling days. Knight added that fashion isn’t just about commerce, “and it isn’t this kind of dry, bitchy world. It’s actually full of incredible artists and a great amount of passion. Edward can bring some of that.”

Knight pointed to Enninful’s passion for imagery. “He works with a wide range of image makers and he really pushes them. He has a broad style, and he likes fantasy. The fashion magazine is there to show people a dream. It’s lost a bit of that purpose and it needs to regain it, and I think Edward will bring that out.”

Source: WWD.com

^ Interesting that Nick is the interviewed photographer. Perhaps there's a chance that he shot Edward's first cover? He hasn't shot a Vogue UK one in five years so it'd be a great return. Plus, he's worked with Naomi a few times before (if she is indeed on the cover).

^ Interesting that Nick is the interviewed photographer. Perhaps there's a chance that he shot Edward's first cover? He hasn't shot a Vogue UK one in five years so it'd be a great return. Plus, he's worked with Naomi a few times before (if she is indeed on the cover).

True, that's at least something I'm looking forward to. More of Nick Knight!

The guesses are just so odd, I think WWD is trying to give us clues here, lol. Because think of it, who else would he choose for his debut cover? Has to be those girls. Kate is truly the lucky one here.

I wonder how you could use Kate and still produce something fresh for UK Vogue. At this rate, it would have to be some anti-Christmas crazy nude cover featuring all shades of skin colours.

Lol, I don't personally recall when last I've seen a Christmas feature actually. But lets not get into that.

I bet the first cover will be Naomi AND Kate. Or just Naomi. Or Adwoa. He needs to sell his idea of them as contributors as many (myself included) ain't buying it.

Also, I'm still waiting for the full list of people working there. I find it a bit funny that they are selling this idea of diversity through Naomi, Adwoa and Steve. Three millionaires/high class. The Vogue UK team has what? 20/30 people? 40? If 3 out of 30 people are black there isn't much diversity, isn't there? Specially if it's three celebrities. How many individuals of colour in the 20-30 years old range will work there? How many women? How many people above 50 years old? How many disabled working individuals? He wants to talk diversity? I'm all ears as soon as I see the list of everyone working there. I'm ready to be proved wrong.

Until then, this will be all a publicity stunt just like Dior's "feminism".

Surely Adwoa will be his debut cover?
its odd she hasn't been on UK Vogue yet.

Diverse talents, please. Let’s leave racial diversity out of this: This isn’t a fashion casting.

Hopefully, all these power players don’t just mean more of the same crap that’s produced when he was at W Magazine— just with bigger names under a new masthead. Big names don’t mean anything to me if they’re just stuck in their old habits. And seems like the inclusion of Naomi and Kate are there solely as glamorous brand ambassadors to attract the general public cos when it comes to any sense of creativity or unique, individual style, these two have never brought it, nor shown any.

I definitely want Edward to succeed and produce a strong, fresh Vogue. But I’m not going to blindly support him if he falls short when the fashion world is his oyster right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinribs98
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->