Alexandra Shulman Leaves British Vogue as EIC, *Update* Edward Enninful Confirmed

9K for W???? That's impossible. That means they lost 400000 subscribers at least.
9000 sold copy is not a magazine for Conde Nast. They would kill any magazine without hesitation under 100000 subscribers.

9K for W???? That's impossible. That means they lost 400000 subscribers at least.
9000 sold copy is not a magazine for Conde Nast. They would kill any magazine without hesitation under 100000 subscribers.

See below, these are of course newsstand figures. Regardless, it's still appallingly low.

Recent sales: Cara Delevingne fronted W’s June/July cover, which sold 9,121 copies. For the second half of last year, W sold 8,848 copies.

Source: http://wwd.com/business-news/media/reviews-september-covers-vogue-bazaar-elle-glamour-instyle-10510899/

Thanks Benn for the link. That's crazy. Conde Nast killed Details magazine (favourite monthly of mine) when it was on 500000 copies a month, with booming online reach.
Why is this magazine still exists then? It's costs more to pay the staff and commissions.

Thanks Benn for the link. That's crazy. Conde Nast killed Details magazine (favourite monthly of mine) when it was on 500000 copies a month, with booming online reach.
Why is this magazine still exists then? It's costs more to pay the staff and commissions.

My pleasure! :flower: They also killed Style, Self, Lucky, and there was rumours TeenVogue would be next, but it looks like they've dodged that bullet by going quarterly.

I don't think they'll ever shut W down, but they can at the very least put someone else in charge to revamp the magazine.

What a disappointment seriously. I don't care at all about her work and her career. I was hoping for someone different. I guess Edward wants as a fashion director someone who will be able to delivery those british, young, quirky eds and he will be in charge of the glamour, the originality ..

Brace yourselves people, he'll tun this magazine into a W or ID, mark my words! I'm sorry for my pessimism, but if Venetia Scott will oversee the fashion content of this magazine then it will basically just be an 'diverse' update of what the magazine currently does (fashion and casting-wise). She'll most likely will want to shoot many of the stories as well, like she's done at W. I do see Verity Parker staying on, because her work is very similar to Edward's and Venetia's.

Not looking forward to this at all!

Sad to see all these editor titles just rotating between the same old names, this is certainly disappointing. Wasn't Edward appointed fashion director at i-D at the age of 18? It would have been nice of him to offer young talents the same opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^
This is Vogue, big money is involved. We are not in the 90's and they are not going to experiment with some young talent at this postition.
Yes, ID gave him a position at 18 but judging how those independent magazines has evolved, i doubt that they will be as brave as they were.

I don't have anything against Venetia. I just hope that his team will be more eclectic and just not about people he has collaborated with for a longtime.

^^
This is Vogue, big money is involved. We are not in the 90's and they are not going to experiment with some young talent at this postition.
Yes, ID gave him a position at 18 but judging how those independent magazines has evolved, i doubt that they will be as brave as they were.

I don't have anything against Venetia. I just hope that his team will be more eclectic and just not about people he has collaborated with for a longtime.

Not such big money at Vogue any more methinks.....

Will Venetia Scott stop taking pictures? Posts on thepopmag Instagram this morning suggests this......

Can't say I'm exactly thrilled over the Venetia Scott news, since I'm not a fan of her photography whatsoever. Fingers crossed, Venetia's styling efforts make more of an impression on me than her photographs ever did.

Alexandra's last day in the Vogue office is next week, according to her Instagram. I genuinely can't help but feel a little sad...

So September will be under Alex, October by Emily, December by Edward? I don't get why this must happen though? Edward was announced long before Alex will leave, so he obviously had time to plan for the October, and even more the November issue. I mean it also took time to pick Edward, but he was chosen just in time when October - December issues are planned and executed.

VP smoothly changed from Carine to Alt, VI had February edited by a deputy just because they took some time looking for a replacement and Franca's passing was untimely. VR from Alyona to Viktoriya had to be edited by someone else because they also took time to look for a replacement.

Brace yourselves people, he'll tun this magazine into a W or ID, mark my words! I'm sorry for my pessimism, but if Venetia Scott will oversee the fashion content of this magazine then it will basically just be an 'diverse' update of what the magazine currently does (fashion and casting-wise). She'll most likely will want to shoot many of the stories as well, like she's done at W. I do see Verity Parker staying on, because her work is very similar to Edward's and Venetia's.

Not looking forward to this at all!

Oh god I hope not , can't stand I D magazine at all and not a fan of W as well .
Maybe this will be another magazine I will stop buying 😔

As for Venetia Scott, I find her work insufferable. I cannot tolerate her work, same with Suzanne Koller.

So September will be under Alex, October by Emily, December by Edward? I don't get why this must happen though? Edward was announced long before Alex will leave, so he obviously had time to plan for the October, and even more the November issue. I mean it also took time to pick Edward, but he was chosen just in time when October - December issues are planned and executed.

VP smoothly changed from Carine to Alt, VI had February edited by a deputy just because they took some time looking for a replacement and Franca's passing was untimely. VR from Alyona to Viktoriya had to be edited by someone else because they also took time to look for a replacement.

I wonder if it isn't because Edward needed time to secure a new FD for the magazine? Or maybe he just wanted to start his tenure in December? Who knows.

As for Venetia Scott, I find her work insufferable. I cannot tolerate her work, same with Suzanne Koller.

I mean, have a look and tell me how different this is to what British Vogue is currently doing.....

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/showpost.php?p=13889255&postcount=26

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/showpost.php?p=13624697&postcount=55

^my goodness both editorials look exactly the same. They do really look like a U.K. Vogue editorial. But what's the point of hiring her when you're not open to bringing something new to the table? Might as well stick with the current roster and carry on

Re: FD
Alt carried on and took a month or two before she announced the new FD. So Edward can obviously oversee that for the time being.

Isn't the December issue the "fantasy" "playful" issue of British Vogue? Maybe he really wanted an over the top cover for his first issue, and what better month than December to do it?

Bet you, December; Edward x Tim Walker

I imagine it's got a lot to do with how far in advance cover subjects are booked up. Someone had to deal with that so Emily did, with Alex overseeing. And then Edward was given a definitive issue he would take over from. I can't see Emily's issues being any different to Alex's personally. They were done whilst Alex was very much still in the building so whilst editing ultimately lies with Emily, it'll be Alex's decisions I'm sure.

But Alt was already an instrumental editor at VP. The change was expected even if it was announced a bit late. Alt had already stopped all her styling gigs at the time and her team was already complete.

Maybe Edward needs to really find his marks at UK Vogue, complete his team and his last few styling gigs. I'm sure he has one or two campaigns secured long before this Uk Vogue thing was announced.

That December issue better be good because he has all the time to really make an impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->