All About Internships and Work Experience Placements

retail internships

Hi everyone. Perhaps this question was addressed in the earlier pages of this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on retail internships for like Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Ave. I have been told that Neiman's HQ are in Dallas, TX, so I was wondering how it works. Do they pay for any type of expenses like airfair or accommodations? Any info would be great. Thanks

In general ... nothing is the answer to what they pay for.

US labor laws insist on pay (then it becomes a real job) for any work you do. The only exception is that you may receive school credits instead of pay, if it's an internship. So don't expect pay for any internship in the US ... it usually won't happen.

Also, don't expect anyone to pay for any of your expenses. It's your schooling , so getting there is your responsibility. It's pretty much the same as if you took a job with them.

On occasion, if you are working on location (away from your assigned place of business) they might provide accommodations, transportation and food for the number of days you have to be on location. However, normally they would not send interns on location, because they are not a necessary members of the team ... no sense in spending the money for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied for a design internship in London and they want me to do a "trial day". Has anybody experienced something like this?

I mean It's not an interview, which to me sounds more "secure" to finally get the whole internship, although I know a lots of people would have applied and of course they're asking all of us to do the trial day.

I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation, I want to know how "sure" it is to get the whole internship once I pass the trial day, and considering I haven't lied neither on my resume or cover letter and that I want it so badly I'll try my best. This is driving me nuts because I live in a foreign Country and traveling there will be expensive

tyia for any contributions :flower:

I would guess that they are only asking a few of the top candidates to do a trial day ... so assume that you have a good chance of making it.

I think what they will probably be looking at is how hard you work, if you are a self starter, how you take direction and your general attitude. So, I would say just listen carefully, do the chores they give you to the best of your ability, then ask for more work. And don't waste time. If there is a break between chores and you are waiting for further instruction, find something productive to do ... even if it's just to tidy up a bit. Stay busy, be polite, and have a positive attitude.

Look at it as a fun experience .... and good luck!!

I would guess that they are only asking a few of the top candidates to do a trial day ... so assume that you have a good chance of making it.

I think what they will probably be looking at is how hard you work, if you are a self starter, how you take direction and your general attitude. So, I would say just listen carefully, do the chores they give you to the best of your ability, then ask for more work. And don't waste time. If there is a break between chores and you are waiting for further instruction, find something productive to do ... even if it's just to tidy up a bit. Stay busy, be polite, and have a positive attitude.

Look at it as a fun experience .... and good luck!!

whoa, that has kinda relieved me :blush:

thanks a lot for your quick response, you're always giving great advice :flower:

So I finally booked a trial day next week, but they didn't tell me much, just that they booked me in x day.

Is it normal that they don't give you a lot of details? I mean, all I have is the name of the person I exchanged e-mails with and the studio´s address
(they didn't even say an specific hour, I had to ask and I'm waiting for response)

It's probably not a big deal, but I guess I'm too cautious and I always suspect in lack of information

No idea .... never actually heard of a "trial day" before.

Probably they will send a group email with the details, later.

^ It depends on a number of different things, it is very much preferable that you are a still a student to do an unpaid internship in London, because they cannot hire graduates without paying them.
Your portfolio is important, the work you have done, and to convey your capabilities and what you could bring to the company.
For example, if you applying to Mary Katrantzou a high level of interest, a high level of capability and experience in digital printing would get you noticed, I am sure.
You will almost certainly be interviewed, I have interviewed at two different brands in the past, in remote parts of London, I think it's very rare for brands to cover travel expenses. Different brands will require different things (aside from your portfolio), for example, I was asked to bring an example of my sewing skills, I have heard of others being asked to do small projects to bring with them.

As with all internships you also must be aware that you aren't necessarily going to be doing the most creative things, the interns there will all be fashion students or designers but will still have to do menial tasks like photocopying, flat drawings, fetching coffee, etc.
You are there for whatever experience you can gain out of it and at the end of the day you will have 'Intern at Mary Katrantzou' or whatever on your C.V. which will be a boost for your future endeavors.
Indeed, I interned at a London brand only for one week one season and another week the next season and all I did was hand-sew and run errands; often the brands are small and just need the extra hands to work for them without having to pay them.
It seems very strange, and can be expensive (especially in London) but you meet great people and gain experience which is so necessary to further yourself in fashion.

Sorry, this is like a really old post, but I was just wondering, would you put in your resume those 1 week only internships as experience? (in your resume, for example) I did intern 1 week in a fashion brand but I wasn't sure if that short period of time would mean something in my resume

TIA :flower:

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I really want to intern at Margiela. I know they take interns, however I have no idea how to apply. I emailed them and haven't received a response. I am currently completing my degree at RMIT in Melbourne and would like to relocate to Paris once it is complete and intern. Please help me!!!!

I have only one suggestion:

Did you use French when you emailed them? If not, maybe try try again that way. I'm assuming that it's probably a prime requirement that you be fluent in French in order to work there. So, if the email was in English, they may have opted to ignore your request for information.

Their language is a source of pride to the French people ... and you will be in Paris, probably working with mostly French speaking employees, so I think this will be important.

Thanks for the reply BetteT. I did email them in English, I did contemplate French but my French is very basic (I am learning atm) and I didn't want to say the wrong thing. Perhaps I will attempt it again in French.

Just to update I have now send them correspondence in French, hopefully this prompts a response.

Just to update I have now send them correspondence in French, hopefully this prompts a response.

PM me if you need any help with your French next time :wink:

And as BetteT said, it can't hurt. Trying is always worth it one way or another.

Hi everyone, just wanted to post an update and say that I didn't receive a reply to either attempt at contacting them about internships. My next thought was to try to find someone currently employed by Margiela (perhaps via Linkedin or whatever it's called) and ask them.

This week, from tFS something that is good to consider if you are about to intern: A quote from Christian Siriano:
2016 fashion interns, take note: The fashion industry is fast-paced and can be a lot to take on. Here are a few secrets to working in the industry that nobody tells you.

1. Working for a small brand is more beneficial.

A lot of young people that are interested in the fashion industry aspire to intern or work at popular or large companies, however, I think it is actually best to get your training with smaller brands. It is with a small company that you get the true hands-on experience and knowledge. Since you are working with a smaller team, they are able to teach you more and actually involve you in their process. There is a big difference between being on a team of 10 to 20 people rather than being on a team of 50 or more.

To see more ... here's the article: http://www.thefashionspot.com/runway-news/667477-christian-siriano-fashion-industry-secrets/

I'm an MBA candidate with a background in architectural design, and I'm looking to find an internship in the industry (either in buying or product development). There has been a lot of pushback in recent years about unpaid internships, and I definitely did my fair share of unpaid work in undergrad and after. I'm certainly too qualified now to be working for free (and it isn't financially feasible), as I can offer very real skills that would be of use to a company. Problem is, it seems like many fashion internships are still unpaid (read: little skill or pre-existing knowledge required) and thus I'm seen as overqualified. Anyone else experience this problem? Any ideas on how to navigate it?

Internships (at least in the U.S.) are for learning about the environment and business in which you plan to have a career. Interning is important for making connections and if you play the game well, these people can sometimes connect you with the right people, when you are ready to apply for a real job. Hopefully, you have maintained a lot of those connections you made when you were working for free (interning).

Based on what you said, what you need is a paid entry level job (not an internship) if you have the skills and education required. If you are ready to get paid employment, let all of those people (your connections that you made when interning) know and ask if they know who is hiring, and ask for referrals.

Good luck!! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petra kyzlikova evans
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->