All about Textiles / Fabrics: Specifications, Fabric Treatments, Dyeing, Etc.

yes i knew about that definition..
my instructor told me this is what it is called though.. but she might have said shearing or sheering.. (she has an accent)

i found this on wikipedia.org
i guess it might be it.. :o
:P thanks anyway for the help!

Shear as a noun may refer to:

it makes sense because it has to be cut on the bias to adapt to whatever shape the base you are covering is. are working on a project like that?
i want to see:wink:

yes, just a test using muslin
i'm embarrassed though :blush: i have to design it

i might just do something simple since i have a lot of other work :ninja:

What you describe is shirring .... but it's not with "strips" of fabric .... it's something that is done to one piece of fabric to gather it into a gathered texture. Sometimes it's done with elastic thread to make the fabric stretchy. According to Webster's Dictionary, to shirr means "to gather, as with cloth or fabric along two parallel lines."

this is shirring:
F6Y1RXWFJIVQYHZ.MEDIUM.jpg

I don't know what trchnique they used in the picture that you posted, but it's not shirring. What that looks like is ruffles ... which is strips of fabric that are gathered on one side and then sewn onto a flat fabric, to create this sort of effect. You usually see ruffles on blouses ... down the front. This looks like ruffles ... but with little or no gathering.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Bette :P i just moved the posts from the sewing thread :blush: solution found...
i'm glad you mention ruffles. i assume it must be done the same way..cut on the bias

my instructor often uses french terms (or if english, makes something up?) since english isn't her first language.. :D

the picture you posted looks just like smocking technique too.

is more or less like ruffles but not really, ruffles dont need to be cut ont he bias because the gathering of the fabric allows the ruffle to adapt it to the sape of the body, this type of technique needs to be on the bias to give the piece of fabric some movement or elasticity just by cutting it that way. ruffles can be cut either way, it doesnt matter but what you mention gius (still waiting for the right term) must be cut on the bias in order to work.

what you think about organic fabrics?

i need help i want to know what you think about organic fashion in clothes ?

and someone knows some designers that use these kind of fabrics?

I think it's nice that for example cotton can be grown in a nature friendly way, without pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and other probably unnecessary stuff that pollutes the environment. If a garment is organic, eco friendly, fair trade and CO2 neutral, and isn't produced in sweatshops then I definitely would like to have it. But it must be a non-hippy design, no offense, but I don't think people can treat linen/hemp wearing jedi wannabes seriously. And it must be decent quality, not like that denim company, I forgot the name, but they had pictogram of 4 people in their logo, they were organic jeans, but imo very low quality. I fail to see the point in that, why make eco friendly garment that falls apart after a couple of washes and you have to get a new one. Thats worse than than buying one pair of non-organic jeans that last 5x longer.
I think Boss sometimes makes organic stuff, they have eco labels on some of their garments, and quality is decent. Nudie Jeans also have organic denim, Edun (that U2 guy's Bono's label) and I think 7 for all mankind also are somewhat eco friendly.

can anyone explain to me what garment construction is done here on the dress with the ball looking things...my instructor said that to achieve this, you twist fabric that is stuffed which creates the ball.. its called some thing...but i forgot what....please help.........THANKS^_^^_^^_^
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9eba3f42156457

I need help with this dress - can someone tell me how the fabric was cut/manipulated to with blend with the lace? I was told the process is called "encrusting the lace" - is a top stich done around the outline? Thanks for any help!

pic source: concreteloop.com

004.jpg

ienibk.jpg

you might have better results getting a response if you post in the DIY section in the sewing thread...

:flower:

@artmaniac
it's a puff gathering, that has been stuffed. you make a puff by stitching a circle onto your fabric and then gathering it.

i need help, too. im doing shibori (japanese tie-dye) with silk. the instruction says its better too let the fabric soak in a soda ash solution. but they mostly use cotton. do you think this alkaline solution will damage the silk too much cause its amino based?
secondly my tests on silk looked quite faded and there werent really any visible traces of the restraint. i think ist because the silk is so slippery and thin moreover it doesnt seem to take the colour well. any ideas?

question about material label / material info

Not sure if this is the right place to post.
Regarding the material label / material info espectially for fleece lining sweaters, eg, material label / info stated like follows:

* 80% cotton 20% polyester
* fleece

I'm wondering that from the above info, how can I know the exact material for the surface layer and the backside layer separately? Is that means the surface layer is cotton and the backside fleece is polyester? As I know usually the fleece of a sweater / jersey is synthetic. Or maybe it only means the surface layer? This kind of description will sure make ambiguous meaning
And some label will list the surface material and backside/inner material separately, and this kind of label is more formal.
Anyone inside the fashion industry knows the general rules for a material label?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->