All about Textiles / Fabrics: Specifications, Fabric Treatments, Dyeing, Etc.

not sure if you can locate your bandana/fruits fabric on the following address, but since lots of members seem to be interested at fabrics on line, i'm just quoting wwd on Pearl River , hope this will be helpfull :

"Pearl River, the shopping emporium located in New York’s SoHo district, has begun selling a line of Chinese satin brocade and cotton fabrics through its online store, pearlriver.com. Included in the selection are 10 brocade and two cotton patterns. Prices range from $7.50 to $15.50 per yard, all in a 36-inch width.

In October, two new series of fabrics will be introduced: a line of indigo-dyed cottons made with natural dyes and a group of exotic prints on polyester. "

p.s. I'm also moving the topic at designer's area since it may be of interest for fashion designers, students, etc

all about textiles : treatments, dying etc

What fabrics are you liking - and who do you think has the nicest ones (in reasonably fashionable clothing) for not a ton of dough? Are these garments typically manufactured in one place or another?

There are some cute styles out at places like Express and GAP right now but I'm appalled at how cheap/flimsy/icky a lot are... especially in sweatering, and some raimie-type thin garments. Lots of obvious synthetics etc.

But a year or two ago, there was some great stuff at GAP - like wool jackets sturdily constructed in the Ukraine. I've also had some decent luck w/stuff made in Malaysia.

J. Crew has had some fabrics I think are great, in the past. Haven't looked lately.

I just want to comment on how horrible Forever 21 is. Whenever my female friends drag me into the shop the clothes always feel like those cheap drugstore halloween costumes to me.

Ralph Lauren always have the loveliest materials, I just love his choice of fabrics and prints same with Michael Kors, I love Ralph Lauren and Michael Kors. Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica have such cheap crap, I dont even bother with them cause they're styles are crap too.

Express is so overpriced, it was like $300 for a boring leather handbag with a super cheap grain, not to mention those sweaters that were talked about. J.Crew has good fabric sense as well, but they're styles are rather boring (for men at least), but they have knockoff Hermes & LV bags that are very well executed.

Guess has good fabric sense, though they do get tacky on occasion. Bebe and Arden B. have incredible taste in fabrics, always top notch. H&M has low quality, though for some reason the cheap materials actually add to the clothes. Banana Republic is still struggling, they're so expensive but some of thier pieces are obviously too cheap for the price.

methods for fabric treatment

Hi, im a young designer and i want to experiment on treating fabrics like satins and organzas.... =)

i want to know how to creat effect and textures etc.
i think LANVIN s/s 2005 did some fabric treatments too...

00290f.jpg
00380f.jpg
00540f.jpg

do any of you guys knows any METHODS & PROCEDURES on how to do it??? like putting acid? and all that stuff? im not really sure about doing it so maybe a little help would be great...

thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Lanvin just overdyed and made a rough accordion pleat to make it look unique. The teal dress looks like stretched out and distressed squares of fabric and pieced them together.

Usually techniques that designers use are fairly straightforward but they combine several to create something that looks complicated. I dont know any techniques myself, what you could do is get some scrap satin and organza and start playing around and see what happens. Organza is one of my favorite materials on the face of the planet earth, now Im gonna go buy some scrap pieces and see what happens.

Diorling said:
I think Lanvin just overdyed and made a rough accordion pleat to make it look unique. The teal dress looks like stretched out and distressed squares of fabric and pieced them together.

Usually techniques that designers use are fairly straightforward but they combine several to create something that looks complicated. I dont know any techniques myself, what you could do is get some scrap satin and organza and start playing around and see what happens. Organza is one of my favorite materials on the face of the planet earth, now Im gonna go buy some scrap pieces and see what happens.

oh i love organza too...! anyway, thanks so much!!!

i'd like to know how designers like hedi slimane coat fabrics in rubber, wax or whatever so far i've painted latex onto fabric but it sticks together and peels

I'm really intrested in learning about fabric treatments.

Spacemiu said:
I'm really intrested in learning about fabric treatments.

me too... i think it gives more spunk with your creations....

hey btw, i like your icon wheres that from?

the rubberized fabrics are always made in a factory. i believe they treat the fabric first, then spray on and speed-dry the coatings. would be hard to replicate at home. i don't know what you can use to make a fine enough mist. if you want to start with that kind of fabric, all i can say is TEFLON PRESSER FOOT :P i got some from b+j fabrics in the city a few years ago... have played with it a little, but still don't know what i want to use it for.

some things you can do to play with fabric:

- there is a product called "fiber etch" or "etch fiber" or "fabric etch" or something like that which you can use to selectively burn away plant fibers. you just apply it with a brush or whatever you want to use and iron it, which dissolves the fibers where you applied it. you can use blended fabrics, too, which creates a neat effect sometimes (the stuff will only dissolve the plant fiber and will leave the synthetic intact). this stuff is really, really fun to play with!

- if you have some regular silk velvet, you can crush it yourself easily. just scrunch it, pleat it, whatever... lay it down on your ironing board (you may have to use pins, just be sure to use ones that won't rust! chrome-plated steel is usually good for this, but test first) and steam it good. let it dry a little and then open it up and fluff it... ta-da! gorgeous crushed velvet. it works SO WELL with silk, the poly just looks junky.

- you can get interfacing that dissolves in water and sew/embroider on it with cool thread/ribbons/etc, then dissolve the interfacing afterwards. i've done some really interesting things this way, like making trimmings and lacy panels etc.

i'll post more as i think of it... if you have a question about a certain technique, ask away, i might have an answer.

Great idea for a thread.

You can make that gauzy, crinkly treatment wetting the fabric, then wringing. Then you wrap it tightly around a broomstick handle and put rubber bands at random intervals. Then you let it dry, and spray on fabric finishing spray. The crinkles never go away, even when you wash.

crepebacksatin said:
- there is a product called "fiber etch" or "etch fiber" or "fabric etch" or something like that which you can use to selectively burn away plant fibers. you just apply it with a brush or whatever you want to use and iron it, which dissolves the fibers where you applied it. you can use blended fabrics, too, which creates a neat effect sometimes (the stuff will only dissolve the plant fiber and will leave the synthetic intact). this stuff is really, really fun to play with!

So if you apply this to a natural/synthetic blend, you can make patterns in the fabric?

seraphelle said:
So if you apply this to a natural/synthetic blend, you can make patterns in the fabric?

yup! the less plant fiber in it, the more subtle the effect. it's a gel, so it's not terribly difficult to apply, either... you can make a stencil and use that, or just paint it on freehand, etc. i've used it on rayon/silk velvet that i pre-crushed and dyed to make AMAZING devore. i have plans to try it out on some wool/rayon jersey sooner than later. try it, you'll like it!

i love this thread.. keep the ideas coming!

crepebacksatin said:
yup! the less plant fiber in it, the more subtle the effect. it's a gel, so it's not terribly difficult to apply, either... you can make a stencil and use that, or just paint it on freehand, etc. i've used it on rayon/silk velvet that i pre-crushed and dyed to make AMAZING devore. i have plans to try it out on some wool/rayon jersey sooner than later. try it, you'll like it!

You have me so excited I'm already drawing out the design on paper, trying not to make it so intricate that I can't properly apply the gel. I'm glad you started this thread, if just for that! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew637
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->